ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Carbon roof skin & bootlid. How much weight difference? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1013609-carbon-roof-skin-and-bootlid-how-much-weight-difference.html)

cookstar 16 October 2014 01:38 PM

Carbon roof skin & bootlid. How much weight difference?

Does anyone know what the weight saving would be on both items please.

Uk classic.

FMJ 16 October 2014 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 11540111)

Uk classic.

No idea but just be aware of cheap "carbon". I got one of the scoobyworld carbon STI6 spoilers and it is not true carbon fibre. Is was a grp type stuff with a layer of carbon on top. Is is far far heavier then the previous GRP version I had.

The boot is fairly hefty but the roof is thin sheet metal and won't weigh much. I would have thought other things would give you more benefit for the money. The only positive of the roof is that it's high up. Unless you are striping the car completely for every last g of weight I wouldn't bother. I would be looking at chopping a lot of metal out of the car and removing all interior and sound deadening before going for a carbon roof. But just imo.

jura11 16 October 2014 05:49 PM

Hi there

You need to find proper carbon,not those cheap carbon fibre look a like,if you want proper one speak with WRC spares and check their parts

Thanks,Jura

bustaMOVEs 16 October 2014 06:00 PM

Here he goes with his drag times :)

RS_Matt 16 October 2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 11540111)

Uk classic.

Anyone ever lowered their roof??

riiidaa 16 October 2014 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11540349)
Anyone ever lowered their roof??

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Na52r1Spv6w/maxresdefault.jpg

ronjeramy 16 October 2014 10:30 PM

Cookie have a look at this thread not read through it though but might give you some ideas. :)

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...f-fitting.html

tom-r33 17 October 2014 07:39 AM

Hi.
My seibon bootlid and sti6 carbon spoiler weigh about the same as an aluminium bootlid. (It pops up on its own when using the boot release, just like having no spoiler) There is scope to remove the internal structure of the bootlid too, further reducing its weight. So I would say the bootlid is around half the weight of the original, with scope to be even lighter.
When there was a group buy on the carbon roofs I asked how much weight saving there was and I was told around 10kgs, that was a carbenfiber creations roof skin iirc.
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Tom

cookstar 20 October 2014 07:03 PM

Thanks guys, I must admit I saw a carbon roof at Japshow and loved it, so if there was a decent weight saving to then all the better.

I'm tempted also by the Fibreglass duck tails bootlid from ABW, but I could do with seeing some more fitted pics of it first.

BenC 21 October 2014 09:22 PM

Roof you wont be looking at much at all, boot lid you'll shave a few kg easy.

IMO unless you are racing the car professionally I wouldnt bother with anything other than GRP/Carbon mix. Yes the dry carbon is stronger and looks better but it also has a price tag nearly double the grp/cf mix.

Seibon, Carbon Creations, VIS and ourselves all mainly concentrate on using a grp/cf mix due to people not willing to pay for the dry carbon version. That said if you wanted anything in the higher grade of carbon I can supply it to you :thumb:

RS_Matt 21 October 2014 09:58 PM

Deffo interested in the roof doing for my 2003 Blob at some stage, is fitting cost a killer?

*matthewturb2000* 21 October 2014 10:02 PM

I too like the duck tail, don't think I've ever seen one in real life on a impreza, a few I've seen on here and on Google look like the lip could do with coming out a little longer and higher, not as much as the old manta's though

cookstar 21 October 2014 10:04 PM

I saw a newage with ducktail, and it looked great, not sure the upper rear spoiler worked with it though.

joe v3sti 21 October 2014 10:16 PM

I just don't see the point of carbon/grp stuff.
The whole point of it as a material is to be strong and lightweight. Mainly used for weight saving.
Why pay all that money if its not the lightweight dry carbon, it defies the point surely?

*matthewturb2000* 21 October 2014 10:18 PM

What about fiberglass bottled wings and doors? Would rattle but surely save a fair few kgs?

cookstar 21 October 2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11544625)
What about fiberglass bottled wings and doors? Would rattle but surely save a fair few kgs?

Ill be going for ABW fibreglass doors, once I have a cage.

*matthewturb2000* 21 October 2014 10:27 PM

I got asset of chargespeed wings in my garage primers and waiting, picked them up for 30£ In good condition thought was a bargain

Arch 21 October 2014 10:34 PM

I wouldn't want to be in a crash in a road car fitted with a cheap carbon fibre roof. How would it fair in front end collision would it splinter etc etc. The standard roof skin is really not that heavy, I doubt there would much weight saving on just the roof skin.

cookstar 21 October 2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Arch (Post 11544646)
I wouldn't want to be in a crash in a road car fitted with a cheap carbon fibre roof. How would it fair in front end collision would it splinter etc etc. The standard roof skin is really not that heavy, I doubt there would much weight saving on just the roof skin.

Mines not a road car anymore, well won't be come next year.

tom-r33 22 October 2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11544621)
I just don't see the point of carbon/grp stuff.
The whole point of it as a material is to be strong and lightweight. Mainly used for weight saving.
Why pay all that money if its not the lightweight dry carbon, it defies the point surely?

It's a halfway house

tom-r33 22 October 2014 08:10 AM

Same with doors, even if you have a cage with doorbars, and composite seats, steering wheels, dash boards etc etc to some extent.

I can see how a sandwich panel roof could be lighter. It could also increase chassis stiffness too

BenC 31 October 2014 04:22 PM

Anyone interested in a roof can drop me a line we will be doing solid carbon fibre replacements soon :)

ronjeramy 31 October 2014 11:30 PM

Didn't the BMW M3 CSL's have a carbon roof as a road car?

FMJ 01 November 2014 03:15 AM

Yes but I think BMW will have had safety and accountability in mind and safety tested it. Aftermarket ones.... Not so much.