ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Subway ban Bacon and Ham (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1003167-subway-ban-bacon-and-ham.html)

Kwik 30 April 2014 06:59 PM

Subway ban Bacon and Ham

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-food/8507373/

Some 185 of the estimated 1,700 Subway stores in Great Britain and Ireland have eliminated ham and bacon from their menus in response to requests from Muslim consumers.

The world's largest sandwich chain said in a statement that after strong interest from its Muslim customers, these locations
have introduced "halal meat" as a replacement, which is prepared under strict Islamic rules.

As Subway has spread geographically across diverse populations, back in 2007 the chain put in place a program "to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new story openings are considered," the company said, in a statement.

There are currently no plans for stores serving halal meat in the U.S. market, a spokesperson says.

Muslims are forbidden from eating any non-halal food and meat from pigs, and Subway said customers can identify those stores selling halal food by the special "All meats are Halal" sign, displayed in the participating restaurants. The signs are on menu panels, nutritional information panels and front windows of the store.

Special meats made with non-pork products -- such as turkey ham -- are being sold instead.

Under Islamic law, pork is forbidden and while other meat can be eaten, it must be sourced, slaughtered and processed according to very strict rules.

Subway said all halal meat served in its branches has come from animals that were stunned before being slaughtered.

BULLITT 30 April 2014 07:11 PM

That's fine but why not just offer the normal meats as well for customers that don't want to eat Halal meat?

Just because Muslims can't eat meat shouldn't mean that non-Muslims have to eat Halal really.

My regular sub doesn't taste right with Bacon & Ham substitutes :(

**jay** 30 April 2014 07:18 PM

country has gone mad!

Dirk Diggler 75 30 April 2014 07:20 PM

I like ham ...

stonejedi 30 April 2014 07:25 PM

For subway to make that move,only tells me one thing,and that is alot of Muslims must love there subway sandwich.SJ.

goatblower 30 April 2014 07:39 PM

What a load of bollocks! , just because Muslims don't eat pork doesn't mean they have to stop selling it, Muslims don't have to buy it ffs!, sure sell Halal meat along with the ham, what's the problem with that?

LSherratt 30 April 2014 07:45 PM

Religions are weird.

Dingdongler 30 April 2014 07:50 PM

Anybody who thinks Subway is worth eating deserves to eat sh7t.

**jay** 30 April 2014 07:50 PM

wont be long until they ban xmas lol

Type_R_1984 30 April 2014 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by **jay** (Post 11417007)
wont be long until they ban xmas lol

They are halfway there by puting an X through Christ in Christmas.

Type_R_1984 30 April 2014 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by **jay** (Post 11416963)
country has gone mad!

Totally agree.

stipete75 30 April 2014 08:38 PM

An prime example of divide and conquer.

RS_Matt 30 April 2014 08:54 PM

I think at Wakefield retail park Subway, Nandos and KFC are all Halal now. They claim area dictates it but tbh I thought the area was predominantly non-Muslim and visited mainly by non-Muslims.

I don't understand the push to make UK food establishments across the board Halal when only circa 5% of the population is Muslim. AFAIK Muslims can eat non-Halal by saying a short blessing over the food...

One thing I like about travelling abroad is experiencing and respecting a different culture. Why aren't UK citizens proud of upholding British and or Christian values?

As for the barbaric practice, that's another argument.

martinnitram 30 April 2014 09:17 PM

I can remember some years ago at Melton Mowbray livestock market, there with my dad and having to watch the muslims slitting the throats of the sheep and goats they had just bought at the market
Not a pretty sight, the council stopped them doing it eventually, im surprised its not made a comeback, what with all the human / religious rights nowadays.

paulr 30 April 2014 09:30 PM

A service industry modifies it's product due to customer demand, so what. What's the big deal. Jesus, some people need to get a life.

L.J.F 30 April 2014 09:39 PM

I wonder what would happen if you asked for a bacon sandwich in a Muslim state......

ScoobyWon't 30 April 2014 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11417148)
A service industry modifies it's product due to customer demand, so what. What's the big deal. Jesus, some people need to get a life.

Maybe the method of slaughter should be modified to meet the demands of the British Veterinary Association.

paulr 30 April 2014 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 11417177)
Maybe the method of slaughter should be modified to meet the demands of the British Veterinary Association.

I'll be honest, I'm not bothered, as long as it tastes okay. For the record I've never been to subway.

PaulC72 30 April 2014 09:43 PM

stunned and throat cut, nice.

It's doesn't bother me how my meat was killed, it's dead that's what matters although I would prefer it killed in a quick as possible way but as I have not control over it I'll still sleep ok tonight..

As far as not getting ham as said above they don't have to eat it.

paulr 30 April 2014 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 11417171)
I wonder what would happen if you asked for a bacon sandwich in a Muslim state......

If you go to another country, you have to abide by their rules, so I don't know what would happen.

Type_R_1984 30 April 2014 09:50 PM

My cousin got thrown out of a cash an carry one morning after he walked in with a roll and bacon which he bought outside.

It was quite comical as this man came running down the isle shouting GET OUT, GET OUT. We didn't know what the problem was at first until we realised it was the roll my cousin had in his hand.
He wouldn't even come near us.
His reaction was ott and quite funny.

Dingdongler 30 April 2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Type_R_1984 (Post 11417196)
My cousin got thrown out of a cash an carry one morning after he walked in with a roll and bacon which he bought outside.

It was quite comical as this man came running down the isle shouting GET OUT, GET OUT. We didn't know what the problem was at first until we realised it was the roll my cousin had in his hand.
He wouldn't even come near us.
His reaction was ott and quite funny.

You've made that story up haven't you?

cookstar 30 April 2014 10:05 PM

:lol1:

PaulC72 30 April 2014 10:21 PM

I remember once a old neighbour of mine had a muslim co worker who had never had or seen bacon and they had previously spent a few days feeding him bacon rolls telling him it was something else.

Funny but cruel at the same time.

ScoobyWon't 30 April 2014 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11417181)
I'll be honest, I'm not bothered, as long as it tastes okay. For the record I've never been to subway.

So the animals can be killed in a way considered barbaric by very highly educated people, as long as they taste okay, but because the majority of uneducated people who believe in an imaginary entity won't eat pork - unless it suits them - it's okay to be cruel to these animals that they will eat?

Type_R_1984 30 April 2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11417207)
You've made that story up haven't you?

No not made up at all. He had to eat the roll outside.

paulr 30 April 2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 11417233)
So the animals can be killed in a way considered barbaric by very highly educated people, as long as they taste okay, but because the majority of uneducated people who believe in an imaginary entity won't eat pork - unless it suits them - it's okay to be cruel to these animals that they will eat?

Doesn't the uk have animal welfare standards. If the animals are imported, that's a different matter.

ScoobyWon't 30 April 2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11417270)
Doesn't the uk have animal welfare standards. If the animals are imported, that's a different matter.

Here's the BVA paper. http://www.bva.co.uk/consultations/d..._resp_0704.pdf

SLAUGHTER

Recommendation 61: Council considers that slaughter without pre-stunning is
unacceptable and that the Government should repeal the current exemption.

Government accepts that slaughter without stunning is likely to cause “significant
pain” but will not legislate against this because “these groups will import meat from
other countries”, the implication being that legislation is being produced on the basis
of the lowest common denominator for animal welfare in other countries. The BVA
would urge Government to consider the implications of using this argument for its
convenience at the present time as it may well be inconvenient when implementing
future legislation.
I'm sure you can see the risks of having to cater for the lowest common denominator in all circumstances, be it animal welfare, public health, education etc

paulr 30 April 2014 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 11417277)
Here's the BVA paper. http://www.bva.co.uk/consultations/d..._resp_0704.pdf

I'm sure you can see the risks of having to cater for the lowest common denominator in all circumstances, be it animal welfare, public health, education etc

Okay, I wasn't aware of that.

Lisawrx 01 May 2014 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Type_R_1984 (Post 11417248)
No not made up at all. He had to eat the roll outside.

Was it definitely because of what he was eating, not just the fact he was eating something?

I only ask because I work in a shop and our company policy is that there is no eating/drinking in the stores. Maybe he applied the same 'rule' in his shop?? :wonder: