ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Flashing Engine Management Light and no fault code? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1000415-flashing-engine-management-light-and-no-fault-code.html)

Vroom Vroom 24 March 2014 08:49 PM

Flashing Engine Management Light and no fault code?

Hi there,

I have a very gorgeous 02 Bugeye WRX that I have only owned the last month. It is completely unmodified.

When I rag the car, accelerating in 4th gear 6K revs, the engine management light flashes (I then back off on the pedal) for about 10 seconds and then goes off.

I had the spark plugs changed and a dodgey fitting coil pack on cylinder 1, last week.

I was hoping that this would be the end of the problem, but no luck.

The car runs beautifully, before during and after the flashing engine light.

There are no fault codes stored :(

Any ideas? Is it OK to drive the car when it is doing this?

I will take it back to the garage, but I'm wondering what you guys think?

Big thanks

JDM_Stig 24 March 2014 09:07 PM

NPS or the random Cam sensor fault if you over rev it maybe ?

**jay** 24 March 2014 09:08 PM

Is it on standard ecu as some after market ones use the cel as a rev limit light.

Vroom Vroom 24 March 2014 10:04 PM

Think it is standard ecu, but will look into it, because if it isn't that would be a very likeable option!!

Ok, will look at NPS and Cam sensor. I'm really new to all of this - Can they test which one it is or is it a case of trial and error?

bludgod 25 March 2014 10:43 AM

fault code should be stored and be visible to a scanner if its the cam sensor (P0340)

check this thread for others with the same thing:
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...on-sensor.html

**jay** 25 March 2014 12:30 PM

could be detecting knock , what fuel are you putting in it?

Vroom Vroom 26 March 2014 08:44 AM

Car has been plugged in by dealer & an independent garage - it genuinely isn't logging any fault codes. Would the car not have an error code if it was DET? I'm currently being told by garage that the most likely cause is an intermittent electrical/ sensor gremlin, because the car only does it approx once a week.

The rest of the time it runs great.

I'm going to give the MAF a clean with some electric contact cleaner and see if that helps. Also, im wondering if I'm unnecessarily over revving the car when overtaking given that it is a turbo?

Clutching at straws here!! Until the car actually logs a fault or at least runs badly I'm thinking of ignoring it...?:freak3:

Infected by sti 26 March 2014 10:12 AM

Only thing with ignoring it is if it gets worse it could bring some issues with it. Plus if you ever want to sell the car on at some point then that is going to be a potential flaw in your plan especially if it's doing it say 2 years down the line and never got sorted.

If it was a buyer like myself I wouldn't entertain buying it purposely because if you could let an engine management fault slip (if it is that) then what else have you ignored, could turn out to be a shift light as already stated but I really would get it checked, you never know it could be pulling a chunk of timing at that point and you would never know any different.

Vroom Vroom 26 March 2014 08:15 PM

Ok :thumb:

I am rather sentimental about cars (had the last one 13 years!) so I don't have any plans to sell the car in the future.

But yes, I take your point - I don't want to damage the engine either.

**jay** - I put regular 95 unleaded petrol in it.

I'm going to give cam and MAF sensor a clean at the weekend and see if that helps. I completely blasted the car today, to try and get the engine management light to flash up, but the infuriating thing didn't show. Car was as clean as a whistle.

I just want to avoid an expensive game of cat and mouse with swapping out different sensors...

Oranges 26 March 2014 08:30 PM

Switch to v power or momentum, regular unleaded isn't great in these things!

Vroom Vroom 26 March 2014 08:55 PM

Oh Ok, thanks. I'm so confused!! It says in the manual that it takes regular unleaded..?

Do you think that this might be the problem?

Vroom Vroom 26 March 2014 09:48 PM

I have just checked the inside of the fuel cap and it says super gasoline only. S**t!!

Thank you so much guys for setting me straight. What a muppet