ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Best hot hatch upto £3500?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/573083-best-hot-hatch-upto-3500-a.html)

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 6539434)
Its just i'm not having a pop at the R32 its just that one had a go at me the other week and i destroyed it, he gave up in the end.

What model have you got?

The WRX is a slightly quicker car but driven properly, an R32 would not be "destroyed"

Top end is better on the R32 too - I bought one because it felt a bit like a Scooby with a V6!

The Chief 12 January 2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540013)
What model have you got?

The WRX is a slightly quicker car but driven properly, an R32 would not be "destroyed"

Top end is better on the R32 too - I bought one because it felt a bit like a Scooby with a V6!

I've a classic running about 280 ish so its pretty nippy.

admittedly top end i'd have my ass handed to me - Scoobs are not that good on top speed:thumb: luckily (for me) he backed off when things got silly

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 09:53 AM

Well a normal R32 is 240bhp, and they weigh a good 100kgs more than a Scooby, plus the Scooby has more efficient 4WD.

It's about neck and neck with a standard WRX, but yours with STi power levels would batter one!

Just look out for any with an AMD sticker - Usually 300+bhp!

The Chief 12 January 2007 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540059)
Well a normal R32 is 240bhp, and they weigh a good 100kgs more than a Scooby, plus the Scooby has more efficient 4WD.

It's about neck and neck with a standard WRX, but yours with STi power levels would batter one!

Well with your bodyweight and my bodyweight (i.e. mhoosive) that should even things up then:lol1:

can you get these up to 300bhp? i've always fancied the A3 3.2, - fancy something a bit more understated next time:)

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 10:17 AM

Hmmm - I tested the A3 3.2 and found it rather disappointing.
The V6 is very muted, the steering is vague but as usual it's very nice to sit in and the brakes felt better.
The R32 is a quite a bit more sporty but then I do like the "stealth" image of the A3. It's pretty much the same engine so with some AMD and Milltek treatment, it should push push out a tidy 300bhp too!

Tobisausage 12 January 2007 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540157)
Hmmm - I tested the A3 3.2 and found it rather disappointing.
The V6 is very muted, the steering is vague but as usual it's very nice to sit in and the brakes felt better.
The R32 is a quite a bit more sporty but then I do like the "stealth" image of the A3. It's pretty much the same engine so with some AMD and Milltek treatment, it should push push out a tidy 300bhp too!

Does the A3 3.2 use the same engine as the R32? Am I right in saying that the R32 engine is not that easy to extract more power without spending quite a lot of money?

The Chief 12 January 2007 10:26 AM

i think the A3 is 240+ maybe 246 or something so maybe a full sports cat exhaust and a remap but it might be difficult to hit 300 without farting about with the cams

The Chief 12 January 2007 10:29 AM

Thought so - will struggle to make 300 even with cams...

AMD V6 3.2 Stage 3 for Audi A3 3.2 V6 quattro 3 door

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 10:34 AM

Tobi - The mk4 used the same as the 3.2 A3 but the new R32 might be different.

Yes the engine is hard to tune further - Lots went to AMD for chip and sports cat and were disappointed with the results.

£2000 for 40bhp? Ouch! I can get 40bhp for my Ashtray and an extra 70lbs/ft for about £300!

Tobisausage 12 January 2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 6540207)
Thought so - will struggle to make 300 even with cams...

AMD V6 3.2 Stage 3 for Audi A3 3.2 V6 quattro 3 door

Thats quite pricey, wonder what the performance would be like. I guess there will be lots of grunt available in any gear.

The Chief 12 January 2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tobisausage (Post 6540227)
Thats quite pricey, wonder what the performance would be like. I guess there will be lots of grunt available in any gear.

246bhp is pretty poor really when you consider an M3 can attain 343bhp out of the same capacity - the CSL even more

Tobisausage 12 January 2007 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 6540262)
246bhp is pretty poor really when you consider an M3 can attain 343bhp out of the same capacity - the CSL even more

Depends how much of those horseys actually get put down on the road

Rich D 12 January 2007 10:50 AM

a mate of mine has an R32 with a few mods, exhaust, filter, remap, etc and it's running around 270bhp now, sounds gorgeous

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rolling...06/l_gater.wmv

when his was standard and I had my CTR (a couple of years ago), we did the blast away from the M6 toll booth early one morning and there was nothing in it, he'd just edged ahead in the triple figures, but it was closer than I'd expected

now with the mods it's quicker & more responsive, but he doesn't seem to be able to get the 1/4 mile times out of it, he's been to Pod a few times now and he's only pulling 14's

(sorry to stray off topic)

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 11:12 AM

True - The R32 (and A3 3.2 and 3.2 Cayenne, and a few others that use the same engine) is a bit low on power for 3.2 litres but it's honestly a lovely engine.
There are NO gaps in the power delivery, it pulls very well, revs very quickly (especially in the R32) and sounds fantastic.

Maybe not the sharpest of "big block" engines but bullet proof and worry free power.

Shame it looks more like a Power Rangers jet pack covered in all that plastic - The Alfa 3.2 wins hands down on engine bay aesthetics.

Cipher 12 January 2007 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540059)

Don't you think that if you can't make informed comment that no comment would probably be better?

The Impreza (the term 'scooby' is twee, adolescent and pathetic sounding) does NOT have a more efficient four wheel drive system. The exact opposite in fact, if by efficient you mean using the least resources.
What it does have is permanent AWD which the R32 does not.

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 6540420)
Don't you think that if you can't make informed comment that no comment would probably be better?

The Impreza (the term 'scooby' is twee, adolescent and pathetic sounding) does NOT have a more efficient four wheel drive system. The exact opposite in fact, if by efficient you mean using the least resources.
What it does have is permanent AWD which the R32 does not.

The Subaru Impreza turbo puts more of it's power to the wheels.
The R32 with it's Haldex system, loses more bhp through the drivetrain.

Okay? Any more patronising from you Cipher?

The Chief 12 January 2007 11:35 AM

Is that you Torpid?

take no notice it is Torpid.

Not nice being banned is it mate???
Now then less of the nasty little comments please

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 11:39 AM

Chief - Didn't think of that!

Torpid strikes again!

The Chief 12 January 2007 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540453)
Chief - Didn't think of that!

Torpid strikes again!

Just check out his other posts

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 6540465)
Just check out his other posts

You'd think he'd make some effort to disguise his posts!

Gutmann pug 12 January 2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 6539913)
I think the main problem is that I keep changing my mind!
I have owned Imprezas for 3 years now and have a MY99 UK turbo at the moment. But, as with anything in life, the grass always seem greener on the other side!
Was going to sell the scoob and put half the funds towards another car, and half towards our wedding. But the mrs says she doesn't want a fancy wedding! :thumb:

Looks like i'm either going to keep the scoob, or go for a teg! :D

What anyone tells you will be irrelevant. When buying a car you should do it with your heart. Drive a couple of different models find the best example you can of the one you like and part with your cash.

Cipher 12 January 2007 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540427)

The exact opposite of what you describe is the reality of the situation. Don't you think that actually finding out about a subject might be better than just typing utter garbage?
That isn't patronising it's merely a statement of fact.

As for being banned, I'd imagine that it's very similar as being asked politely to leave a party by some little **** when you were a teenager because you were wrecking the place, drinking beer, smoking weed and monopolising the best girls. In this case rather than punching the spod in the mouth and carrying on I suppose one would just register another name and it's business as usual. If one had been banned that is. :D

The Chief 12 January 2007 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug (Post 6540489)
What anyone tells you will be irrelevant. When buying a car you should do it with your heart. Drive a couple of different models find the best example you can of the one you like and part with your cash.

Totally agree - what one person may like you may hate and so forth.
Although i think if you are coming down from a Scooby you need something pretty quick such as a Prelude

///\oo/\\\ 12 January 2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540427)

Leaving Cipher out of this, can you explain why?

Haldex is 2wd unless slip is detected.

Impreza has permanent 4wd

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 12:06 PM

Full time 4 wheel drive turbo charged cars

Cipher -Your analogy is a study in self delusion.
Again.

Prasius 12 January 2007 12:13 PM

Just thought I'd go back a bit and lend another comment re the 172.

One of my best mates had a 172 Cup, and my Saxo VTR (stop it!!) was a model of fantastic build quality and reliability in comparison.

Don't get me wrong - it was a great drive, just that bits broke lots.

Cipher 12 January 2007 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540555)

Again.

What is the link meant to prove?

You are only succeeding in making yourself look clueless here. So keep up the good work. :D

///\oo/\\\ 12 January 2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540555)

Again.

Help me here mate - you have a nice dog, so that's a plus you have over torpid at the moment.

But your link proves nothing. The whole point of a haldex syspem is simplicity and efficiency.

So please explain why a haldex equipped car will suffer more transmission losses than a full time 4wd car will?

links are ok, as long as they are a) informed and b) relevant

Matteeboy 12 January 2007 12:47 PM

I may have made a mistake. I always assumed Haldex was rather inefficient, having had a car with one.
And I know you two will witter on about it until everyone tears there hair out so for the benefit of others here - I think i made a mistake.

Which isn't rare.

///\oo/\\\ 12 January 2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6540702)
I may have made a mistake. I always assumed Haldex was rather inefficient, having had a car with one.
And I know you two will witter on about it until everyone tears there hair out so for the benefit of others here - I think i made a mistake.

Which isn't rare.

No probs mate :thumb: