ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Youth of today - Makes me sick (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/352455-youth-of-today-makes-me-sick.html)

Senior_AP 13 August 2004 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by the moose
Who says there aren't social problems? It's the way they're dealt with which matters.

People have mentioned Germany and Italy. I have experience of Holland and Denmark.

In ALL of these countries there's a high level of what many people here would call "PC stupidity", yet they have many fewer social ills (though it depends where you go - there are bits of Germany I'n not care to venture into) then we see in the UK.

Primarily, though, they all have a higher level of stable family units, lower levels of teen age pregnancy, and a general acceptance of society as a good thing. In the UK we seem obsessed with the idea that central government is bad, that societal change is bad, and that everything was good in the good old days. It wasn't. It never has been.

England compared to continental Europe has always been lagging with regard to family and culture.

It is getting worse alot quicker. England has pretty much lost its Englishness whereas France remains ultimately French. Italy, ultimately Italian etc etc.

PiNkEyE69 13 August 2004 12:02 PM

Amazing how my original post manage to open a can of worms ranging from Tony Blaire's policies, nation services, unmarried (teenage?) mums/single parents, the fall of the modern day copper, the rise of the PC brigade and Germany.

the moose 13 August 2004 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PiNkEyE69
Amazing how my original post manage to open a can of worms ranging from Tony Blaire's policies, nation services, unmarried (teenage?) mums/single parents, the fall of the modern day copper, the rise of the PC brigade and Germany.

Good, isn't it. I can't wait to steer it round to hanging .... just WAIT for the reactions then!

RichWalk 13 August 2004 12:06 PM

Totally agree about diff' parts of europe, everytime I go to a major city abroad, I feel sick about coming back here the diff' is so great! years ago I couldnt wait to get back to Blitey, alas no longer.

Respect and the lack of it seems to be the common concern amongst most replies on here, if there is a political cause behind it, I would state the Thatcher years as the main catalyst ; the "me" culture was invented during her time and since then we have tried harder and harder to become the USA in many ways- this suits as they have a hugte divide between rich and poor along with a big level of altruism heaped on the less advantaged to become rich at any cost.

Senior_AP 13 August 2004 12:09 PM

14, 2, 0 now......

Wurzel 13 August 2004 12:18 PM

where is this poll your on about?

Found it and voted :)

Senior_AP 13 August 2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel
where is this poll your on about?

Found it and voted :)

20, 2, 0.

Soulgirl 13 August 2004 03:26 PM

It is, as usual, the minority that ruin it for the majority. How that horrid minority are punished is what is at fault.

shamrock 13 August 2004 03:33 PM

Weren't as many gay marriages back in the old days either ..... :)