ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   New Xbox (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/975396-new-xbox.html)

Firez34 14 June 2013 10:19 PM

I've just cancelled our pre-order after spending the afternoon reading a load of bad crap I'm going to wait and see.

stedee 14 June 2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11121192)
Read this very interesting article...... which actually makes sense 100% imo.

http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous...one-intentions

If you delve into the stats of how popular Steam is, you soon realise that perhaps MS are being ahead of the game here from a console perspective.

As is being said on gaming forums.....

"....that they want to do Steam, but they 'suck at telling the story'"

very interesting

it is funny about the always on thing, we already have a device which is always on and has a camera, tracks where we are everyday but noone has caused a fuss about that yet - strange

Neanderthal 14 June 2013 10:47 PM

Forza 5 has 'cloud based opponents'? perhaps the always connected requirement if for on the cloud processing, bit like onlive?

DYK 16 June 2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Firez34 (Post 11121308)
I've just cancelled our pre-order after spending the afternoon reading a load of bad crap I'm going to wait and see.

Something that has maybe changed my mind and to stay with the Xbox is all my achievements etc will carry over to the Xbox one,if I go for ps4 it'll be having to start all over.
I know it's not backward compatible,being with Xbox from the start,all the time/hours etc playing those games and the money spent does seem like a bit of a waste at the mo,but at least all those achievements will carry over to the new console....

Littleted 16 June 2013 01:32 PM

These don't really bother me, nor do PS3 trophies.

I wonder is MSFT will backtrack

DYK 16 June 2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11122469)
These don't really bother me, nor do PS3 trophies.

I wonder is MSFT will backtrack

When I think back to all the time/hours spent on the mass effect series,assassins creeds,forza,fallout,borderlands,many more,and plus the DLC,it ain't so easy to not be bothered about.
I wouldn't buy both consoles like some would,either got to choose one or the other is how I see it.

Ant 16 June 2013 06:39 PM

I'm trying to get 100% on tomb raider so achievements matters to me, they should role over I would imagine

CREWJ 16 June 2013 08:36 PM

I have to say we have been waiting for the SteamBOX for ages now. If Microsoft can pull it off then it can only be a good thing.

I use steam on my laptop when I go away, thing is with that is you can change it to Offline Mode, which means you can play the games and never need an internet connection. If MS did that then they could be on to a winner.

LSherratt 16 June 2013 08:41 PM

Just found out that for PS4 online multiplayer, you will have to pay a fee like Xbox Live. This is probably a good thing though as it means they should be able to help develop the online multiplayer side of things so that it can compete with Xbox Live better.

jura11 16 June 2013 09:20 PM

Not sure after reading after several posts and news on various websites XBOX One will be region locked(this means if you will be cheaper game in US will not work in UK or if you will buy Xbox One in USA and you want use over here,will not work,although PS4 is region free)

Biggest upset probably for XBOX One has been when MS run their games on W7 powered PC and not on the actual XBOX actual "Dev kits" plus they run on nVidia rather than AMD which are powered like XBOX/PS4

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...rds-56737.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4...PCs-56752.html

But biggest thing is probably Region lock on some games,which you will be unable play

Jura

Shaun 17 June 2013 12:19 PM

Why is anything around region locking now an issue mate......

The 360 and PS3 have been region lockable (via software) since day one. It's just that the PS3 games have normally been region free (there is only one game I know of that is locked), but the 360 has seen nearly all of it's software releases locked.

The next generation of consoles won't be any different.

DYK 17 June 2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11122750)
I'm trying to get 100% on tomb raider so achievements matters to me, they should role over I would imagine

From what I've read your Xbox account and achievements transfer onto the new console,only thing that don't is any arcade games you played..

Littleted 17 June 2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11122916)
Just found out that for PS4 online multiplayer, you will have to pay a fee like Xbox Live. This is probably a good thing though as it means they should be able to help develop the online multiplayer side of things so that it can compete with Xbox Live better.

if that fee is Playstation + which I pay for now, I will gladly pay it. Ive had some cracking free games for my Vita and ps3 from that 40 quid a year.

so many games my drives full

An0n0m0us 17 June 2013 01:20 PM

I asked my teenage Son at the weekend what he and his mates thought of the Xbox as they are all Xbox owners and I was shocked at his answer - all of them are p!ssed off with MS for how they are making it online only for playing and games can't be swapped. One of the big things with them is they all swap games about to cut down the cost and basically share their gamers libraries between them which is a cheap way of covering all the latest games. They will no longer be able to do that and all have said they are going to PS4 and MS can go stick it.

belliott69 17 June 2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11123461)

The 360 and PS3 have been region lockable (via software) since day one. It's just that the PS3 games have normally been region free (there is only one game I know of that is locked), but the 360 has seen nearly all of it's software releases locked.

I buy a lot of Japanese only available games, if I couldn't play on those then I would be really pissed off.

hpoolsteve 17 June 2013 06:21 PM

This made me chuckle. http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85837254.jpg

Shaun 17 June 2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by belliott69 (Post 11123803)
I buy a lot of Japanese only available games, if I couldn't play on those then I would be really pissed off.

So do I (360 wise) and since at least 50% are region locked, it required me to buy a JDM 360 as well.

jura11 17 June 2013 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11123461)

Hi Shaun

I know lots of people over in Slovakia/Czech Republic which buying used/new games over here and with new Xbox One they will be unable play those games,because they're in different region(EU will have different regions!!!)

Jura

Originally Posted by belliott69 (Post 11123803)

+1

Jura

stedee 17 June 2013 07:35 PM

its all about jdm

Shaun 17 June 2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 11123942)
Hi Shaun

I know lots of people over in Slovakia/Czech Republic which buying used/new games over here and with new Xbox One they will be unable play those games,because they're in different region(EU will have different regions!!!)

Jura

+1

Jura

I'm confused (which isn't unusual lol).....

The region locking will be software / developer driven, not enforced by the hardware platform, as far as I know. This is the same as is currently adopted with the 360.

Unless we're saying it will be something different with the XBONE, than this is obviously a different issue.

Is that the case?

mart360 17 June 2013 08:50 PM

Ive allready registered my XBOX gamertag on the Sony network

Really think MS have shot themselves in the foot with this allways on stuff and the perm kinnex thing.
unless they pull something stupendous out of the bag, i'll more than likley be going accross

Mart

jura11 17 June 2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11124035)
I'm confused (which isn't unusual lol).....

The region locking will be software / developer driven, not enforced by the hardware platform, as far as I know. This is the same as is currently adopted with the 360.

Unless we're saying it will be something different with the XBONE, than this is obviously a different issue.

Is that the case?

Hi Shaun

Sorry,I forgot put the link which I mean

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...ion-56720.html

About the region locking,XBOX One itself will have Region lock as per above post

Jura

Ant 17 June 2013 08:55 PM

What's the big deal with always on? I can understand if you're in the forces do you not have wi-fi?

jura11 17 June 2013 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11124071)
What's the big deal with always on? I can understand if you're in the forces do you not have wi-fi?

Wi-Fi will be probably slightest issue,but main issue will be Region Lock as per above link

You can't use Xbox One bought in US and use this in other part of world due DRM and Region Lock

Jura

Ant 17 June 2013 09:17 PM

But that's a just minority of people isn't. 9/10 users won't care about region locking

Shaun 18 June 2013 01:53 PM

Hi Jura,
Don't we just love these internet "stories"! ;) That article that you refer to means jack **** in my opinion (taking the article on it's own merits). The only quote (assuming it's official) is:

Unsupported countries would not have the full experience, and may not work.

We're always looking to expand the amount of supported regions, perhaps things will change.
That certainly does not say games from different regions won't work. It's a subjective quote to say the least.

Have MS officially quoted that ALL Hardware/Software is region locked?

jura11 18 June 2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11124634)
Hi Jura,
Don't we just love these internet "stories"! ;) That article that you refer to means jack **** in my opinion (taking the article on it's own merits). The only quote (assuming it's official) is:

That certainly does not say games from different regions won't work. It's a subjective quote to say the least.

Have MS officially quoted that ALL Hardware/Software is region locked?

Hi Shaun

Agreed on those stories,but here is again official statement of the MS

"Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."
MS released list of the 21 "supported" countries,if they will manage add more countries we will see

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

Jura

DYK 18 June 2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by hpoolsteve (Post 11123818)

:lol:

Shaun 18 June 2013 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 11124775)
Hi Shaun

Agreed on those stories,but here is again official statement of the MS

MS released list of the 21 "supported" countries,if they will manage add more countries we will see

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

Jura

I'm not sure that is that much different to the current situation with the 360 though is it?

They certainly have region locking in place based on region.

I suspect we'll have to see what this actually means in practice.

These details appear to be some what ambiguous at the moment, so I would certainly expect some clarity and possible changes over the coming months.

stedee 19 June 2013 06:49 AM

i think there`s going to have to be some big changes, its along time to go yet, i`ll be getting whichever is most popular with mates etc