ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   cycling 2 abreast (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1012635-cycling-2-abreast.html)

DYK 02 October 2014 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11527646)
The Netherlands have been cycle friendly for decades. Their relationship with cycling is hugely different to ours.

Different culture though isn't it,same with other things compared to the UK and countries abroad/Europe.
Motorists some,get impatient of other motorists and do risky overtakes.
So what are the chances of being patient with a cyclist.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 02 October 2014 08:07 AM

Perhaps the Dutch just aren't in a hurry to get anywhere?

This is some proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dutch_Formula_One_drivers

dpb 20 October 2014 10:13 AM

http://road.cc/content/news/133343-m...ring-customers

My god!

davyboy 20 October 2014 11:00 AM

Cyclist did not have any lights on.....but to leave him for dead, I can only think shock would make you act like that.

Also found this on the website.....brilliant!

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/i...rivers1985.jpg

Maz 20 October 2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 11543202)
Cyclist did not have any lights on.....but to leave him for dead, I can only think shock would make you act like that.

Also found this on the website.....brilliant!

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/i...rivers1985.jpg

Can't have been too shocked as he continued to finish his round. Furthermore why didn't his passenger seek to help the cyclist? They both deserved a custodial sentence in this case. A fine and a slap on the wrist was woefully inadequate given the circumstances.

hodgy0_2 20 October 2014 12:34 PM

the passenger was only 15 years old

not sure if that is an excuse, I would hope my 15year old would be more reactive

Mouser 20 October 2014 02:36 PM

Does this count as riding two abreast?

RS_Matt 20 October 2014 05:25 PM

Fooking cyclist tried overtaking me today in the Scoob and I indicated right whilst he was over taking me and nearly took him out, I didn't even see him pull from near the curb to the middle of the road. He went bezerk.

Really overtaking a scoob on your push bike!!!!

Maz 20 October 2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11543253)
the passenger was only 15 years old

not sure if that is an excuse, I would hope my 15year old would be more reactive

I overlooked that. Can't really blame the youngster.

hodgy0_2 20 October 2014 06:06 PM

I did think you were being uncharacteristically harsh - lol

Poor lad, prob his first Job

Maz 20 October 2014 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11543468)
I did think you were being uncharacteristically harsh - lol

Poor lad, prob his first Job

Indeed Hodgy. Obviously the poor lad has given a full and frank statement. This further confounds the actions of the milkman.

andy97 21 October 2014 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11543431)
Fooking cyclist tried overtaking me today in the Scoob and I indicated right whilst he was over taking me and nearly took him out, I didn't even see him pull from near the curb to the middle of the road. He went bezerk.

Really overtaking a scoob on your push bike!!!!

You passed a cyclist which you saw on the near side, whilst travelling slow enough for a push bike to filter pass you (probably because there was no room on the kerb). You didn't observe your surroundings whilst turning right. You deserved the reaction of the rider for your inability to ensure you made a safe maneuver.

JackClark 21 October 2014 08:55 AM

I mostly ride on the cycle paths around here, luckily they are very good. But once a few cars block junctions for me, sometimes looking me in the eye then pulling forward to block the drop curb I take to the road. It's there that the true arseholes appear, turning right when I'm overtaking them - obviously nothing's faster than a car - or closing the gap to the curb and my personal favourite seeing how close they can get to me when passing.

I wouldn't however ride two abreast, too dangerous.

andy97 21 October 2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11543902)
I mostly ride on the cycle paths around here, luckily they are very good. But once a few cars block junctions for me, sometimes looking me in the eye then pulling forward to block the drop curb I take to the road. It's there that the true arseholes appear, turning right when I'm overtaking them - obviously nothing's faster than a car - or closing the gap to the curb and my personal favourite seeing how close they can get to me when passing.

I wouldn't however ride two abreast, too dangerous.

Evidence contradicts your last sentence. If you happen to have a friend who cycles with you, ride abreast, it is safer. We wouldn't want to lose your posts in computer section :)

dpb 21 October 2014 09:26 AM

Illegal to ride on the pavement

JackClark 21 October 2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11543916)
Evidence contradicts your last sentence. If you happen to have a friend who cycles with you, ride abreast, it is safer. We wouldn't want to lose your posts in computer section :)

As long as I'm next to the curb, fine. Drivers really do turn into arseholes around here.

andy97 21 October 2014 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11543920)
Illegal to ride on the pavement

In the true legal stance yes, Highways act1837. Paths that are beside carriageways, eg Roads, but most authorities ignore the law especially for children. I will ride on the path at busy junctions. It's safer, also I don't ride fast when on paths where pedestrians are about.

JackClark 21 October 2014 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11543948)
In the true legal stance yes, Highways act1837. Paths that are beside carriageways, eg Roads, but most authorities ignore the law especially for children. I will ride on the path at busy junctions. It's safer, also I don't ride fast when on paths where pedestrians are about.

Totally ignored around here, no one that I've seen rides the pavement like a dick, I can ride past police without giving it a thought. They'd rather I was on the pavement in a lot of places I'm sure. As mentioned before the cycle network is extensive and getting bigger all the time, often the cycle path is in much better condition than the road.

CrisPDuk 21 October 2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11543851)
You passed a cyclist which you saw on the near side, whilst travelling slow enough for a push bike to filter pass you (probably because there was no room on the kerb). You didn't observe your surroundings whilst turning right. You deserved the reaction of the rider for your inability to ensure you made a safe maneuver.

He did say he was indicating to turn right when the cyclist tried to overtake, that would put the cyclist at fault surely :wonder:

JackClark 21 October 2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 11544055)
He did say he was indicating to turn right when the cyclist tried to overtake, that would put the cyclist at fault surely :wonder:

"I indicated right whilst he was over taking me"

Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.