ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   *Choices Again* C4S / TT / CSL (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/447890-choices-again-c4s-tt-csl.html)

fromage 12 August 2005 03:39 PM

I so hope you shop it in for a manual ;)

Deep Singh 12 August 2005 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Edcase
Deep, interested to know the reasons.

Currently considering a CSL or TT or GT3 later this year...

Nevetas, what were your thoughts on the CSL?

Ed, had a test drive of the CSL a few months back. Good car, great noise, decent pace. Problems are the MOST awful seats I've ever sat in. May seem like a minor point, but I can't enjoy driving a car that gives me backache after 30 mins.

The biggest problem is this. It looks like a grey 3 series coupe, or a regular M3. Its not the kind of car that will have me glancing at it out of my window. For this kind of money (£42k) it needs to press ALL the buttons, it needs to make me drool every time I see it. Constant hard on.

The turbo does that for me. I think its gorgeous and aggressive looking and to me looks very different to a vanilla 911. Even my wife can tell them apart!

A CSL is a seriously good car, but a 911 turbo is the stuff dreams are made of. One of the best supercars in the world, not many would argue with that.

The CSL maybe faster around a track, but I don't care about that. Some would say a CSL would provide you with a 'junior' GT3 for less money. Question is do you want a 'junior' anything or do you want the 'daddy'. If you are a track fiend then maybe a GT3 is more your thing

There is also an 'issue' about the CSL in the wet/snow. The tt has 4wd, which for a mediocre driver like me provides peace of mind.

All imho of course

Edcase 13 August 2005 03:44 PM

deep, all very valid points.

however, this is where personal preference comes in.

personally, I am very much a sensory, seat of the pants driver, and the engine noise is one of my number one priorities in a car.

CSL scores 10 out of 10 in that area.

also regarding the looks, I am also looking for something that is muscular yet subtly understated, and again the CSL comes up trumps in this area. The wheels, the carbon roof and the front splitter all add to the already nicely proportioned M3, and I also love the carbon and suede interior.

interesting comment about the seats, I will need to check that out of course.

regarding the 911, the 4wd is a worry for me as I like to think of myself as a fairly accomplished driver (without blowing my own trumpet) and will definitely be spending time on track where again the CSL excels.

GT3 is certainly tempting, but for £40k, CSL is proving hard to shift from my number one spot!!!

Sideways, the way forward 15 August 2005 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Ed, had a test drive of the CSL a few months back. Good car, great noise, decent pace. Problems are the MOST awful seats I've ever sat in. May seem like a minor point, but I can't enjoy driving a car that gives me backache after 30 mins.

The biggest problem is this. It looks like a grey 3 series coupe, or a regular M3. Its not the kind of car that will have me glancing at it out of my window. For this kind of money (£42k) it needs to press ALL the buttons, it needs to make me drool every time I see it. Constant hard on.

The turbo does that for me. I think its gorgeous and aggressive looking and to me looks very different to a vanilla 911. Even my wife can tell them apart!

A CSL is a seriously good car, but a 911 turbo is the stuff dreams are made of. One of the best supercars in the world, not many would argue with that.

The CSL maybe faster around a track, but I don't care about that. Some would say a CSL would provide you with a 'junior' GT3 for less money. Question is do you want a 'junior' anything or do you want the 'daddy'. If you are a track fiend then maybe a GT3 is more your thing

There is also an 'issue' about the CSL in the wet/snow. The tt has 4wd, which for a mediocre driver like me provides peace of mind.

All imho of course

what r u talking about?????

The CSL is the most drool worthy car on the road... very distingishable from the standard M3 nevermind the arty farty 330ci sport. It will turn my head far more than a 911 turbs. Also 911 turbos are common as muck!

SirFozzalot 15 August 2005 09:01 AM

Good to see you on Friday Nev!

Lovely car mate! :notworthy Hope you are enjoying yourself in Germany! :norty:

carl 15 August 2005 09:20 AM

I'm also thinking of stumping up for a 996 TT next year. Problem is, although I quite like them they're the same price as a nice F355...

imi 15 August 2005 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nevetas
Few piccies (from my phone rubbish quaility)

http://tinyurl.com/bc8be

Lovely pics of a lovely car.

All that matters is that you like the car and the gearbox...... :)

You got some pics of the interior too?

Nevetas 03 September 2005 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by fromage
I so hope you shop it in for a manual ;)

*UPDATE*

It's been quite a 2 weeks with the porker, only just had time to do this update so sorry for the delay!

As you know I went straight to the ring the day I collected her, was fantastic all the way down, touching 171mph before I ran out of road. Tiptronic was fine, had a lovely time at the ring.

After 3 days left the ring and drove down to the black forest, spent the night in Titisee, then headed into Switzerland and into the alps. Stopped for lunch, and was heading down into Italy, round hairpin bends, when disaster struck! Lost all power in the car, and all warning lights on the dash came on. I pulled over and called Porsche assistance, who offered to come out and get me, however would take 2 hours + to reach me. So I searched for nearest dealer, and was only 40k away. Managed to drive the car to local dealer, had no boost pressure whatsoever. Dealer spoke only Italian, and told me to go back to Germany.

So set off for 280k journey to Germany at sub 100km/h. Took ages to arrive, then went to Frieburg, Porsche assistance paid for hotel. Arrived at dealer next day, very friendly, fixed the car in 2 hours, and washed the car for me. Turned out was just a pipe connecting to the turbo had come off! :nono: :nono:

Set off again, around the black forest, no further problems.

Was now time to start going home, this was the start of more problems, car was loosing loads of oil, had to put in another 1.25litres just to get it back to half full, guess this must be related to the original problem. Then hit the motorway, and the drivers side headlight wash came off, bouncing off the bonnet causing a dent. Then to add to it all, drivers side wing mirror housing came off causing a lovely scratch down the door.

Arrived back in UK Sunday night, and car was transported straight back to Porsche, where they started fixing the faults, however told them just wasn't happy with the car, and wanted a differant one! :hjtwofing

Dealer had no other turbo's in stock, however another black turbo was due in later in the week, 6 months newer + much nicer interior. Had a drive in that yesterday, and was very impressed, it's a manual (adam will be happy :p ) was very impressed, didn't feel faster as such, but much more fun to drive.

Got a very good deal upgrading, my car had 38k on the clock, new car has 12k on the clock. Also got VIP tickets to Carrera Cup for the problems I had. Pick the new car up later next week. :notworthy :notworthy

So I now have a manual 911 TT!! :p :norty: :notworthy

My car had sports exhaust, this will be swapped over to the new car.

The Manual is much easier to launch, infact it's basically feels the same as driving my STi, just much faster :D :D

I hope to keep this about 2 years, will then chip it on for a 997 RUF Turbo :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Steve

jameswrx 03 September 2005 04:13 PM

It's ok mate you don't have to string us that old story ;)

What really happened...

Realised you really wanted the manual (and you'd get ribbed forever more), set about the poor car ripping bits off here and there, rang porsche with your 'story' and the rest is history :D

Glad you got a black one again, why are there so many silver TT's it's such a nasty look in silver.

Nevetas 03 September 2005 06:24 PM

:D :D

Black is a nightmare to keep clean, but worth it in the long run I reckon :D

fromage 03 September 2005 06:48 PM

*UPDATE*

It's been quite a 2 weeks with the porker, only just had time to do this update so sorry for the delay!

As you know I went straight to the ring the day I collected her, was fantastic all the way down, touching 171mph before I ran out of road. Tiptronic was fine, had a lovely time at the ring.

After 3 days left the ring and drove down to the black forest, spent the night in Titisee, then headed into Switzerland and into the alps. Stopped for lunch, and was heading down into Italy, round hairpin bends, when disaster struck! Lost all power in the car, and all warning lights on the dash came on. I pulled over and called Porsche assistance, who offered to come out and get me, however would take 2 hours + to reach me. So I searched for nearest dealer, and was only 40k away. Managed to drive the car to local dealer, had no boost pressure whatsoever. Dealer spoke only Italian, and told me to go back to Germany.

So set off for 280k journey to Germany at sub 100km/h. Took ages to arrive, then went to Frieburg, Porsche assistance paid for hotel. Arrived at dealer next day, very friendly, fixed the car in 2 hours, and washed the car for me. Turned out was just a pipe connecting to the turbo had come off! :nono: :nono:

Set off again, around the black forest, no further problems.

Was now time to start going home, this was the start of more problems, car was loosing loads of oil, had to put in another 1.25litres just to get it back to half full, guess this must be related to the original problem. Then hit the motorway, and the drivers side headlight wash came off, bouncing off the bonnet causing a dent. Then to add to it all, drivers side wing mirror housing came off causing a lovely scratch down the door.

Arrived back in UK Sunday night, and car was transported straight back to Porsche, where they started fixing the faults, however told them just wasn't happy with the car, and wanted a differant one! :hjtwofing

Dealer had no other turbo's in stock, however another black turbo was due in later in the week, 6 months newer + much nicer interior. Had a drive in that yesterday, and was very impressed, it's a manual (adam will be happy :p ) was very impressed, didn't feel faster as such, but much more fun to drive.

Got a very good deal upgrading, my car had 38k on the clock, new car has 12k on the clock. Also got VIP tickets to Carrera Cup for the problems I had. Pick the new car up later next week. :notworthy :notworthy

My car had sports exhaust, this will be swapped over to the new car.

The Manual is much easier to launch, infact it's basically feels the same as driving my STi, just much faster :D :D

I hope to keep this about 2 years, will then chip it on for a 997 RUF Turbo :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Steve

Manual is the way to go, nice interior! :notworthy:

Chris L 03 September 2005 08:07 PM

Lovely car Steve - impecable choice as ever - git :)

Get yourself over to Cem's Stuttgart 9s forum now

Chris :)

Deep Singh 03 September 2005 08:13 PM

Hi Steve. I've read some of your comments on PH re Tiptronic. Can you be very specific about the Tip, ie how quick are the up/down changes? Did you find you were actually using the Tip function or leaving it in auto?

Cheers
Deep

phelpsa 03 September 2005 09:26 PM

Steve,

Did you have the sports exhaust on when going to the 'ring? It sounded lovely everytime you put your foot down for the 4+ hours we followed you :D

Nice to see you got a manual, but is the satnav any better? :p

Adam

Nevetas 03 September 2005 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L
Lovely car Steve - impecable choice as ever - git :)

Get yourself over to Cem's Stuttgart 9s forum now

Chris :)

Cheers Chris :thumb: will take a look at that forum.

Nevetas 03 September 2005 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Hi Steve. I've read some of your comments on PH re Tiptronic. Can you be very specific about the Tip, ie how quick are the up/down changes? Did you find you were actually using the Tip function or leaving it in auto?

Cheers
Deep

Hi Deep,

The up / down changes are pretty quick, about the same as a normal sports auto. You can tell your in an auto, unlike SMG.

I feel no 'power' differance in the manual, it's just more of an entertaining drive. If you do allot of city driving I'd go for tip, I can't fault it, if anything with my driving I'd probably be quicker in the tip than the manual, but the manual is more fun. For me it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. However, I'm sure a 'pro' driver could have better results with the manual. :notworthy

Nevetas 03 September 2005 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by phelpsa
Steve,

Did you have the sports exhaust on when going to the 'ring? It sounded lovely everytime you put your foot down for the 4+ hours we followed you :D

Nice to see you got a manual, but is the satnav any better? :p

Adam

Hi Adam :D

Nope had the exhaust fitted after the ring so sounds nicer now :p

Sat Nav is still useless though!! :cuckoo: :D :D

Hammoc 04 September 2005 12:44 AM

Sorry to hear of all the problems. Sounds like it has all worked out in the end ;) :thumb:

Steve

2 years!!! A likely story 2 months seems to be pushing it lately :D

A few Porker pics here from PCGB do @ Brands on August bank holiday Monday. Lots of nice 996s including TTs were drooled over by me.

http://christopherhammond.fotopic.net/c672623.html

Chris

phelpsa 04 September 2005 05:58 PM

Wow i'd love to hear that now!

mmmmmm

Adam

Nevetas 18 September 2005 11:32 AM

Picked her up Friday, only just got out of it! ;) :D :D

ScoobyDoo555 18 September 2005 11:36 AM

Beautiful car sir. Once day I aspire to own this type of thing (albeit I'm running out of time - house or car. Car lost!!!:D)

All this sh1te about manual being a "real drivers" thing..........

Why do all F1/WRC etc cars have semi-auto boxes then.......... of course, they must be sh1te drivers...... :D

Dan

Nevetas 18 September 2005 11:45 AM

Cheers Dan :thumb:

A 911TT with BMW's SMG would be awesum!

I'm still getting used to having 3 pedals again, been over a year since I've driven a manual! :eek:

Dieseldog 18 September 2005 12:48 PM

Nice car and a nice time of day to take the pics

7 Foot 18 September 2005 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
All this sh1te about manual being a "real drivers" thing..........

Why do all F1/WRC etc cars have semi-auto boxes then.......... of course, they must be sh1te drivers...... :D

Dan

Because a manual car requires more driver input and skill.

Paddle shifts and the like are a ruthlessly efficient way of going fast.

I think you knew that really. :D

P1Fanatic 18 September 2005 04:15 PM

Can we have a soundbite then please ? :)

Simon.

Gastro 18 September 2005 04:16 PM

Looks lovely - not sure I'll ever have a car in Basalt black again - its a nightmare to keep vaguely clean !

Interested to hear about the tiptronic - was never taken with it on the Boxster - but with the BHP of the TT I think your probably right - tiptronic would be the way to go.

Simon