ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ferrari- Cheats! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/326187-ferrari-cheats.html)

Re-Bitten Hero 11 May 2004 01:55 PM

Bravo2Zero - sorry, didn't mean to annoy you! :) But who better to listen to... how about an F1 electronics designer (me)? I'm actually designing the next generation of Ferrari data logging system as we speak (the code is compiling now, which is why I'm here for a minute).

As tiggers says above, the ECU on the car has several fuel maps, and one of the rotary switches on the steering wheel (the blue one :)) changes this - MS simply adjusted it to running with less power and less revs, which reduced the exhaust gas temperatures and lessened the risk of overheating his carbon-fibre bodywork and suspension (as happened a few years ago to him, causing him to drop out of the race).

Cheers :)
Richard

Nimbus 11 May 2004 03:23 PM

the ECU on the car has several fuel maps, and one of the rotary switches on the steering wheel (the blue one ) changes this
So, excalty the same as my ScoobyECU then!! ;) (except I have a little black switch instead of a blue one).

Back OT...

This was the first race I've watched this year and stopped paying attention after the first few laps. It's the lack of really close racing and no real challanger to MS that's turned me off the sport (from someone who used to watch all races live, including the graveyard Japanees one...). I don't know what needs to be done to improve it from my POV, but I hope they change it soon....

Bravo2zero_sps 11 May 2004 05:15 PM

LOL Richard you weren't sitting in my front room on Sunday though to correct what had been said by the commentators so had only posted on info given by them :D

The way they said it definately made it sound like it was adjusted by the pits, not by the driver so they need to make their comments a little clearer, bring back Murray Walker! ;)

I need some of those buttons on my car, I need an economy mode that switches the turbo off and lets me get 50mpg :D

Re-Bitten Hero 11 May 2004 06:16 PM

LOL Bravo :D

Actually I knew a guy who had rewired the bright switch so that it effectively disabled the turbo (held the wastegate open) to improve economy on cruising. He called it putting the car in "wife mode" :D:D

Richard

Jerome 11 May 2004 06:22 PM

Glad that you waded in Richard (Re-Bitten Hero) to dispel a few myths :D

For the record, Richard is quite a good driver as well, if the karting day is anything to go by. I was the team ballast. :D

I agree with the sentiment that overtaking makes for a good race. Because of this, I think that the Monaco GP should be scrapped.

Those that don't realise how good MS is, should take note of the difference between how MS and Button described a fast qualifying lap a while ago, which went something like this:

Commentator: How was the lap?
JB: Awesome. It's all just a blur. I can't really remember it.

Commentator: How was the lap?
MS: I was getting understeer on turns 6 and 11.

I'm also divided on getting rid of all the techie aids on F1 cars. Some of these technical developments make it onto everyday sports car don't they?

Lastly, they should show F1 on 2 different channels. One which focuses on the lead pack/car and another channel which flicks between the interesting stuff happening further back in the race. Like Button getting past some good drivers whilst getting from 14th to 8th place. Sometimes the battle to avoid being last is more interesting than the procession up front.

Brun 11 May 2004 06:29 PM

Get rid of all the technical aids and MS will be even futher down the road :)

Bravo2zero_sps 11 May 2004 06:33 PM

Richard did it actually work with no mechanical side effects? :o Thats exactly what i'd do to mine if it was possible as that way I wouldn't have to sell it!

farmer1 11 May 2004 06:33 PM

I'm also divided on getting rid of all the techie aids on F1 cars.
Traction control etc has already made it onto cars so no need not to ban them. How about banning certain electrical devices giving them chance to design different electrical devices and then ban them a year or two after.

Re-Bitten Hero 11 May 2004 07:46 PM

b2zero - not sure! Post something in Drivetrain? I think you lose a lot of power lower down as the compression ratio is all wrong, but it's an interesting idea... :)

Jerome - thanks :) Also, if you get the pay TV F1 stuff then you can do this pretty much. Used to be on Sky but I'm not sure if that's still available?

Cheers
Richard

Matt Churchill 11 May 2004 09:33 PM

Never seems to amaze me how, when someone achieves so much in his sport we want to knock them.

Is football boring now (personally I think it is anyway!) that Arsenal has remained undefeated throughout the year?

Ferrari and Schumacher have created something becuase they have mated the best driver (by some way) with the best package - it is that simple to me.

Hakkinen dominated not all that long ago (and now you are talking boring), but people seemed to be somewhat less critical of it, and don't give me that "2 drivers racing each other" rubbish - MH was the favourite at Mclaren, but it was not in any contract. So is the Ferrari set up any better or worse?

Answer is for another team to get in the game, and sort things out. If BAR can challenge in qualifying, why can't Williams and Mclaren? And I personally think that BAR and Renault aren't all that far from having a realistic "go" during a race. If you're looking for a conspirancy, there seem to be a lot fewer bruised egos and prima-donnas at BAR and Renault when compared to Williams and Mclaren.