ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Derren Brown - nutter! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/256342-derren-brown-nutter.html)

P1Fanatic 09 October 2003 08:01 PM

A blank fired at point blank range to the head would kill instantaneously. They even showed that on the programme when firing one against a plastic bottle, it blew the cr@p out of it!
Dont believe everything you see. Yes you can get blanks for real guns that do fire bits of cardboard etc out of the barrel and at a rate that would do serious damage or kill if at point blank.

However, proper blank firing guns usually have the barrel completely blocked off. I have a Beretta 92F blank firer at home and can quite easily put the gun to my head and fire as many rounds as I like (although it is rather loud). This could quite easily be done with a revolver by blocking the exit holes on a chamber (or all the chambers).

Simon.

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2003 08:45 PM

Simon its not everything I see, I have fired plenty of blank firing and live round weapons from pistols to rifles and have seen the cr@p that comes out the end of blank firers. You may have a blocked off one, I still wouldn't want to put a blank firing weapon to my temple thats for sure.

midget1500 09 October 2003 09:05 PM

did i not read somewhere that it was illegal for a "blank firing gun" (i.e. not a regular gun firing blanks) to have any muzzle discharge. i.e. simons 92F dissipates the exhaust gases out the side or top.

so this revolver just had the barrel plugged. when he shot the sandbag it must have had a small explosive charge in it a la blood packs or whatever to make the hole for the sand to fall out

steven

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2003 09:18 PM

OK fair play yeah I didn't think of it that way, most of the weapons I have fired have been live with blanks in them. I still thought a purpose built blank firer could still emit a discharge. Depends on where you got it from I suppose!

P1Fanatic 10 October 2003 12:30 PM

Yep thats what I was getting at. A real gun firing blanks will still emit 'debris' from the muzzle as you cant block them as they need to fire real bullets.

The british forces do use a BFA (Blank Firing Adapter) that fits on the end of the barrel of an SA80 and spreads the debris sideways instead of straight ahead. I still wouldnt suggest firing one at point blank range though.

Proper blank firers also use different rounds. Hardly anything comes out of mine other than black powder residue and that is vented out of the side of the barrel. So one could quite easily put it their head and fire in full safety (other than going deaf).

Simon.

amanda6192 10 October 2003 01:02 PM

You lot are all missing the point, it was very entertaining TV and thats that, no more needs to be said!!!

Bravo2zero_sps 10 October 2003 01:06 PM

I already said that earlier :p

:D

P1Fanatic 10 October 2003 11:28 PM

me 2 :rolleyes:

Scot123 11 October 2003 01:53 AM

If you really want to see Russian Roulette do a search for "Bud Dwyer"