ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   New Xbox (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/975396-new-xbox.html)

jura11 31 May 2013 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11106732)
I have it on good Auth they will be 399.00

The Amazon price is just a placeholder. I still think at 399 its too much, im happy with 299.00

but I suppose add the games I reakon easily gonna be 500 600 a pop for us all with controllers and stuff

esp as im gonna get ps4 also GULP!!! better start saving

From reports games are bit step from usual prices for games:eek:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/47...se-details.htm

Jura

New_scooby_04 31 May 2013 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 11106858)
From reports games are bit step from usual prices for games:eek:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/47...se-details.htm

Jura

89 quid for COD!!!! :eek:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9y9kboIzu1rol1w1.gif

:D

jura11 01 June 2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 11106863)

I'm pretty sure people will buy them in millions:D

Jura

stedee 07 June 2013 06:16 PM

heard some details about the "always on" episode. you can play for 24hrs on your own console before having to connect and 1 hour on somebody elses under your username.

this doesnt bother me at all but obviously some arent going to be happy. the good side to this is you can play your games through " the cloud" on somebody elses console which i think is a good idea. i am starting to understand why they are trying to stopping the preowned games because you can share games through "the cloud" with your mates.

stevebt 07 June 2013 08:05 PM

I still think buying a used game will come in a near new prices?? Its going to be dictated by the developers so they will want top dollar for everything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22812743

CharlySkunkWeed 07 June 2013 08:07 PM

"The cloud" can kiss my ass , I want to buy a sencond hand game thats cheaper than its release as I refuse to believe a game costs £40+ , let alone a virtual one in a cloud :)

stevebt 07 June 2013 08:16 PM

£70-90 a game in todays climate won't work well. If a game is rubbish and you waste £80 on it your gonna be very pissed off.

CharlySkunkWeed 07 June 2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11113571)
£70-90 a game in todays climate won't work well. If a game is rubbish and you waste £80 on it your gonna be very pissed off.

Especially when you can't sell it on .

stedee 09 June 2013 03:02 AM

its all good news for xbox, heard theyre going to downclock the cpu/gpu because of ram issues and they are paying off 3rd party ps4 developers not to show game at e3

DYK 09 June 2013 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 11100148)
Hmmmm, do you think he's angry about something??? ;)

Xbox One Reveal: Angry Rant - YouTube

Lmao for first few mins.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...47534661,d.d2k
I've enjoyed the Xbox gaming and Xbox live for quite a while now,built up a huge collection of games.
Gave up pc gaming some years ago and in a way I've always kinda missed it.I won't be buying xbox one,think its now time start swatting up on the latest PC gaming machines and get back to it.

myblackwrx 10 June 2013 09:26 PM

£430 and a list of problems http://memebase.cheezburger.com/vide...are/7548467712

Think MS can go **** themselves.

Ant 10 June 2013 09:28 PM

Ripping the uk off again

ScoobyWon't 11 June 2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11116427)
Ripping the uk off again

$499 or £429. At today's rate, $499 = £329, is the rest purely tax?

Gear Head 11 June 2013 08:25 AM

So £350 for the PS4 vs £430 (was £500 until yesterday) for the Xbox One.

Microsoft have well and truely shot themselves in the foot with no backward compatibility and the fact that games can only be used on two consoles before commanding anther fee.

Honestly, where these people get their ideas from I'll never know.
:rolleyes:

Littleted 11 June 2013 08:48 AM

it will hurt them, BUT we will still buy it in shedloads

urban 11 June 2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11116806)
So £350 for the PS4 vs £430 (was £500 until yesterday) for the Xbox One.

Microsoft have well and truely shot themselves in the foot with no backward compatibility and the fact that games can only be used on two consoles before commanding anther fee.

Honestly, where these people get their ideas from I'll never know.
:rolleyes:

Microsoft really have done a number on themselves.
But that's Microsoft for you, my company are a partner with them for business software, and they're doing a number on licensing also.
Many companies are getting audited for license compliance.

Geezer 11 June 2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11116818)
it will hurt them, BUT we will still buy it in shedloads

Correct, the first wave certainly will, but unlike last time, they are coming out at the same time and the PS4 is cheaper. Ally that to the second hand games debacle, enforced Kinect (lots of teenagers bedrooms are not Kinect friendly!), forced online, and MS may well have taken a step too far.

Even with their year head start last time, PS3 did outsell 360.

Geezer

New_scooby_04 11 June 2013 01:06 PM

Sony certainly targeted MS's short-comings with the E3 presentation and played it safe: it was all about the games and they were very explicit about the consumer's right to trade and share the games AND the console is significantly cheaper than the Xbox one. At the moment, I think many people will lean towards the PS4 .....certainly initially.

BUT....

Cloud based gaming is way behind Microsoft. Lets see how Sony get around the issue of registration, use restrictions etc then! The good news for them is that they can learn from MS's mistakes in this arena.

I prefer the exclusive games announced for The Xbox one; IMHO the PS4 has less tempting exclusives, although the developer support is clearly there.

I'm still not convinced their on-line network will match up to XBox live, which, much as I hate to admit it, works really well and is the subject of massive investment.

There is a general lack of innovation with the PS4's presentation. It was a case of "look how preeedy games look on the new console" At least MS were trying (with variable success) to show how the new generation might benefit from the new tech. Whether smart glass and Kinect really do become more than an answer to a question no one asked remains to be seen. However, I'd rather see experimentation than stagnation.

They've apparently dropped the Move .... I think this will a mistake. Yes, the first generation didn't really work and rarely did any game really benefit from the inclusion of motion sensing etc ... But MS claim that Kinect now works properly and if they're right there is real potential here!

I suspect the PS4 will take an early lead, but that the Xbox has the greater legs for the race at the moment.

Ns04

Littleted 11 June 2013 03:26 PM

im all for online play, what im not all for is online only, such as Diablo 3 and starcraft 2
I feel for the poor people, not everybody can afford such things.

We need 2nd hand games also.

I myself don't really lend games out, I do however lend them to my son who sits 2 floors above me. but what if I then want to loan it to my daughter, sigh

maybe a tad too far

and agree on the Kinect thing, my tiny front room doesn't work now.

What Microsoft are doing is what there doing with all their software, all cloud, well trying to anyway. I think the xbox was really hammered by the Pikey pirates, much more than the playstation 3 was. Its payback time

Ant 11 June 2013 03:28 PM

Add a game on top and you're looking at £500

I'm out!

I'll wait a little while

F1 CJE UK 11 June 2013 06:37 PM

Hard one for me, ps3 never did it for me due to the poor games and lack of Xbox live!

Will give the Xbox a go

Littleted 11 June 2013 06:57 PM

ill buy both most probably,

But I have to give it to the ps4 at the moment for sheer usability, that being said for all of us with Kids, the xbox will take centre stage as it is definitely king of the school yard.

I do hate paying for Live though, where psn is free

stevebt 11 June 2013 07:23 PM

Apart from the fact they are aiming the console as an entertainment centre are the quality of the games visually much better than the xbox 360 games?

ScoobyWon't 11 June 2013 08:29 PM

How long was it until the price of the 360 was reduced after launch?

I'm hoping Sony's announcement will cause M$ to reduce the price to match the PS4, but if you read Forbes, the launch price in 2001 ($299) when adjusted for inflation, would today be $397, the more advanced package was $399 at launch, which would be $475 today, so not a whole lot more for all the extra things it does, rather than being 'just' a games console.

New_scooby_04 11 June 2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11117605)
Apart from the fact they are aiming the console as an entertainment centre are the quality of the games visually much better than the xbox 360 games?

Same debate with the PS3 and Xbox 360 mate: internet geeks/fanboys started talking about polygon counts etc and arguing that one was vastly superior blah blah blah, but when you actually looked at the games that crossed both platforms, rarely was there a discernible difference and when there was it was usually in the Xbox's favour (opposite to what one might have predicted) as apparently the xbox was easier to code for and the blue ray drive on the PS3 was as much a hindrance as a help, as its greater capacity was offset by slower access speed. I suspect they'll be much of a muchness. MS are stating that the cloud will take some of the processing demand from the hardware, so maybe the xbox will have the edge???

I reckon that the smart money will get the cheaper PS4 and wait for the xbox to be reduced in price (it will). The silence as they announced the price of the Xbox one was deafening! The rep was waiting for applause that never came!! To be fair, given that it's got the Kinect bundled with it, it's not an unreasonable price - far from it! If they can successfully integrate it into games in such a way that actually enhances them, people will be more forgiving of the price difference. However, if they can't make this amount to more than a gesture media remote control, people will question the value for money arguing: "why should I pay 80 quid more for the xbox just for something it comes bundled with that is rubbish and I didn't want but is being imposed on me!" They'll either have to revise the price prior to the launch and accept a loss in return for bigger initial market penetration *sniggers* or they'll have to wait at least 6 months after launch to revise the price or they'll royally piss off all the people who paid the launch price!

Ironically, it's almost the reverse of what happened with the PS3 vs 360 :)

J4CKO 11 June 2013 09:28 PM

I have been avidly reading all the coverage, I realised today that I doubt I will bother, £450 for the console, £70 a game and cant swap or sell them fook that.

Ant 11 June 2013 10:10 PM

Exactly I can see an "arcade" version popping up after Xmas (of course)

billythekid 11 June 2013 10:29 PM

Will it really be £70 a game?

I was a Sony guy - buying a PS1 and PS2 both when they came out.
But I got my Xbox about 12 months after they came out.
Never bothered with PS3.

At the moment I am still thinking Xbox one as I never liked the PS3.

Will GTA be PS3 and Xbox?

Geezer 12 June 2013 09:22 AM

I think that MS will have to bank on paying huge $$$ to get exclusives to get One to be a success. £80 is a big difference for what most people will buy as a games console.

All the other stuff it does it quite clever, but considering it will sit in the dark recesses of small bedrooms in most cases, those features aren't really relevant. The tech they are so proud of is what other manufacturers will put in their devices to make them the hub of home entertainment, proper AV stuff, not a games console aspiring to be something else.

I do think these two will be the last games consoles that we see of this ilk, so worth buying both for that reason ;)

Geezer

Beef 12 June 2013 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 11117852)
I have been avidly reading all the coverage, I realised today that I doubt I will bother, £450 for the console, £70 a game and cant swap or sell them fook that.

This is why PC gaming is in with a chance of doing very well. Yes, the hardware costs more, but you save that money in the games you pay, and you'll have access to higher levels of detail than even these new consoles. Plus you don't have to spend fortunes on a PC to get something that will play even new games decently - my PC is nearly 2 years old and Bioshock Infinite has been the first game I've had to turn down the detail for. Admittedly from 'Ultra' to 'Very High', so it's hardly looking like Minecraft...

With something like Steam it is true you have many of the same restrictions regarding resale...but who cares when the game cost you only £30 new, and will likely be in a Steam sale in a few months for 50-75% off (like Civ V last weekend...only £7.50 including all DLC!)

As the hardware is fundamentally similar across X1/PS4/PC cross-platform ports will hopefully be easier too.