ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brakes locking on (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/945321-brakes-locking-on.html)

JonMc 14 August 2012 07:11 PM

Once I've got the balance right I'm sure they'll be fun - the only time I seem to invoke the ABS is if I hit an uneven bit of road whilst braking hard and the one wheel loses traction but apart from that I've never had it come on - even in the snow:thumb:

And like you say, cleaner inner wing means the induction kit will fit better and I can sort out a proper heat-shield:D

prodriverules 14 August 2012 07:12 PM

No doubt will fit better,I plan to make a barrier between the engine and filter and put some reflecta-gold tape on it!

JonMc 14 August 2012 07:15 PM

I've got a roll of silver in the garage:thumb:

prodriverules 14 August 2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 10750487)
I've got a roll of silver in the garage:thumb:

Great minds think a-like mate;)

JonMc 14 August 2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10750489)
Great minds think a-like mate;)

Or fools seldom differ:lol1:

prodriverules 14 August 2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 10750492)
Or fools seldom differ:lol1:

I prefer my saying but you could be right:lol1::lol1:

sssssteeeee 18 August 2012 03:23 PM

i had this, and was driving about i got to traffic lights and smoke was evident, so eventually located the caliper the wheel soon got very dirty from brake dust,changed caliper, all has been fine since.

JonMc 18 August 2012 03:31 PM

Calipers appear fine - all the pistons are moving freely and the pistons will push back out. Will be removing the ABS next week all being well and I'll whip the caliper off at the same time anyway but I do not expect that to be faulty as it has not long been refurbed as stated earlier in the thread.

JonMc 19 August 2012 08:26 PM

Had a couple of hours on my hands this afternoon before work so had another look and it goes from bad to worse:(

The drivers side is deifnately binding and th pistons don't seem to want to retract but looking at the pads it appears that it is only the inside pad that is binding:wonder:

The line is fine - no signs of damage or collapse. The pistons do all move quite freely but I think I'll pop the seals and blow the pistons out anyway and give them all a good clean.

Thought I'd pop the caliper off and make sure that the hub was clean so I knew the disc was running true and found that the top bolt, whilst in and not coming out, has stripped it's thead and wouldn't tighten up so I need to helicoil that too(I was only using a spanner):eek:

Hopefully I'll get it up on the ramps this week and get all of this done so I can get this sorted by the BH weekend.

prodriverules 19 August 2012 08:37 PM

It seems you have a blockage/restriction some where Jon with fluid being able to go in under pressure from pressing the pedal but not return as there is no pressure to push it.

If you pop the pistons Jon just be careful not to nick the seals or rip a dust cover as you already know how much they cost:eek:

JonMc 19 August 2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10756640)
It seems you have a blockage/restriction some where Jon with fluid being able to go in under pressure from pressing the pedal but not return as there is no pressure to push it.

If you pop the pistons Jon just be careful not to nick the seals or rip a dust cover as you already know how much they cost:eek:

I'm almost wondering if there's dirt in the banjo bolt or the crush washer has crushed too much causing the restriction. The plan is get it up on the ramps with a local guy who's a mechanic and hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it - but yes, I don't fancy another £90 bill for seals:eek:

prodriverules 19 August 2012 08:53 PM

That VW Polo I said about still hasn't been sorted yet,we are lost as to why that one is doing the same as yours,we have tried a new caliper/pads/disc's/hose/blown out the lines and still the same so we are almost convinced it is the ABS unit but it's a lot of money if we are wrong!!

stockcar 20 August 2012 01:17 PM

fairly certain i have some odd fluid seals available if your stuck (as well as kits obviously)

alyn

JonMc 20 August 2012 01:20 PM

Cheers Alyn, the seals are only six months old so if I'm careful taking it apart I should be okay, but I'll bear it in mind:thumb:

JonMc 07 September 2012 01:43 PM

All fixed:D

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...reduction.html

prodriverules 07 September 2012 02:28 PM

Very nice Job there Jon and I love how you have the bias valve positioned by the seat:thumb:
Looks like it took a while though!

JonMc 07 September 2012 02:48 PM

I took a while because we did stop and chat regularly, but also because it was effectively R&D, now we know where everything goes I reckon it could be done again in less than a dat - yours will be easier with everything stripped out:thumb: