ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Classic handling vs Newage handling (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/857197-classic-handling-vs-newage-handling.html)

RA Dunk 06 November 2010 10:23 PM

Have you had you geometry checked recently?

MarkC 06 November 2010 10:40 PM

I got that done a couple of weeks ago, setup for negative camber etc, would 215/35/18 affect the handling compared to the 16" wheels? I have new bc coilovers, rear strut brace and whiteline 24mm front anti roll bar, im getting a uprated roll bar for the rear.

I went to two different garages to get the tracking done and it came up as perfect on the machine. I have a problem with the steering pulling to the left, even on a flat road when i leave go of the wheel the car pulls left?

Passed ntc/mot with no problems.

Gregsti01 07 November 2010 12:09 AM

The subframe is part of the newage shell,classics flexed bad handling/tyre wear.To make car handle better,24 mm rear roll bar,stout mounts,alloy links,anti dive lower wishbone mounts.If you have a front end shunt this subframe might save your live so why remove a component that Subaru have spent a lot of money working on.Removing the subframe is just daft,you lose structual strength if you need to loes 17 kgs of weight put the driver on a diet

53 07 November 2010 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gregsti01 (Post 9698510)
The subframe is part of the newage shell,classics flexed bad handling/tyre wear.To make car handle better,24 mm rear roll bar,stout mounts,alloy links,anti dive lower wishbone mounts.If you have a front end shunt this subframe might save your live so why remove a component that Subaru have spent a lot of money working on.Removing the subframe is just daft,you lose structual strength if you need to loes 17 kgs of weight put the driver on a diet

No it's a bolt on appendage not part of the 'shell' ;)

You remove it and replace it with something that offers you more. Life is a compromise you can't have everything at 100%, sometimes you have to accept that life is dangerous and you can't mitigate everything :)

Still 1000% safer than getting your kicks on a motorbike. Still safer than the equivalent crash in a classic without the subframe.

I've never seen a frontal crash test of a Subaru, but I have held a subframe in my hands and I doubt very much it would safe your life in a crash large enough to take it :)

For me it has very little to do with saving weight and everything to do with improving the driveability of a factory flawed car :thumb:

johnfelstead 09 November 2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 9698561)
I've never seen a frontal crash test of a Subaru, but I have held a subframe in my hands and I doubt very much it would safe your life in a crash large enough to take it :)

How would you know? Without knowing the exact circumstances of the impact and also without knowing how the loads are passed into the chassis via the various chassis structures, you dont know how beneficial or otherwise this particular component will be with regards to saving lives. The most probable conclusion has to be it would improve your survival chances (and those of your engine/gearbox) compared to not having it fitted.

53 09 November 2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 9703640)
How would you know? Without knowing the exact circumstances of the impact and also without knowing how the loads are passed into the chassis via the various chassis structures, you dont know how beneficial or otherwise this particular component will be with regards to saving lives. The most probable conclusion has to be it would improve your survival chances (and those of your engine/gearbox) compared to not having it fitted.

:thumb: I don't and whilst I don't know, your probable conclusion is indeed sound, but I still prefer the Summit Racing Kit :p:D

djc1 17 November 2010 11:24 PM

i know the newage is 150kg heavier ,this certainly shows in the performance .
how much could realistically be stripped off the newage with things such as the sub frame?whats the u -bar someone mentioned ?