ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   It's ok to lose at Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/855523-its-ok-to-lose-at-sport.html)

Terminator X 18 October 2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 9656076)
If I have kids there's no way I'm letting them teach them anything which claims the world was created by a 'God'.

FPMSL :lol1: will you be attending school with them for the next 14 years?!

TX.

Spoon 18 October 2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9661948)
Yes of course, by the time they get to the professional rungs of sport, it really is all about winning. What I'm referring to are the formative years (of, in this case, a footballer).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...s-nothing.html

Obviously I have chosen an article that fits my point of view, but he makes some interesting points, so too do the comments at the bottom.

All that article confirms is that you and CrisPDuk are confusing competitiveness with Anti-social behaviour. :confused: It bears absolutely no resemblance to the passion and hunger of being the best in your chosen sport.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 18 October 2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9661964)
All that article confirms is that you and CrisPDuk are confusing competitiveness with Anti-social behaviour. :confused: It bears absolutely no resemblance to the passion and hunger of being the best in your chosen sport.

The relevant part of the article is about the kids enjoying their sport rather being forced to win by whoever is the authority figure. Kids are more likely to develop their skills if they are enjoying it, rather than being pushed. This is the mindset of the teams more successful than England, which we currently do not adopt, and will be left behind on the world stage if that does not change.

Martin2005 18 October 2010 01:29 PM

I think the point that seems to be being missed here is that we have a whole generation of obese children. We need to encourage kids to be active, by making everything super-competitive all you'll end up doing is putting lot's of kids off. Their kids, it's supposed to be about fun.

There are plenty of sport associations and clubs that teach competitive sport; my son plays footie and cricket at a high junior standard and has never had any serious competitive training at school, the schools are rightly more interested in encouraging physical activity.

Why does this have to be turned into another vacuous 'PC Plonkers' SN special?

Spoon 18 October 2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9661985)
The relevant part of the article is about the kids enjoying their sport rather being forced to win by whoever is the authority figure. Kids are more likely to develop their skills if they are enjoying it, rather than being pushed. This is the mindset of the teams more successful than England, which we currently do not adopt, and will be left behind on the world stage if that does not change.

The children in the article are wrongly being shown direction by, I assume, ignorant, bad mannered parents who probably haven't been close to competitiveness in their lives but watch football on TV and think that constitutes suitable coaching knowledge.

Enjoying sport alone as a youngster with potential isn't enough. Pushing comes in various levels too. Pushed by someone who has been there and done it is fine. Pushed by someone who hasn't a clue can lead to disaster.

Spoon 18 October 2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9661986)
I think the point that seems to be being missed here is that we have a whole generation of obese children. We need to encourage kids to be active, by making everything super-competitive all you'll end up doing is putting lot's of kids off. Their kids, it's supposed to be about fun.

There are plenty of sport associations and clubs that teach competitive sport; my son plays footie and cricket at a high junior standard and has never had any serious competitive training at school, the schools are rightly more interested in encouraging physical activity.

Now you've introduced a two tier scenario which can fit both opposing opinions. Fun at school for everyone, yet, more than fun at clubs and the such like for school aged children that show promise.

Spoon 18 October 2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9661986)

Possibly because most of SN, with you as the top qualifying candidate, come across as PC plonkers. :idea:

Martin2005 18 October 2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9662078)
Possibly because most of SN, with you as the top qualifying candidate, come across as PC plonkers. :idea:

Another classic case of someone who can read, but cannot comprehend:cuckoo:

Spoon 18 October 2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9662124)
Another classic case of someone who can read, but cannot comprehend:cuckoo:

I see the same statement applying to yourself with a strange retort like that. :)

JTaylor 18 October 2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9660025)
Most of the religious just keep it to themselves and get on with life. They rarely are seen to attack Atheists anyway!

Les

Is the statement based on your observations of the world at large?

Leslie 19 October 2010 06:17 PM

I have been lucky enough to see quite a lot of it!

Les

my06 ppp silver 19 October 2010 07:04 PM

"WINNING IS NOT EVERYTHING"
"ITS THE ONLY THING":D sadly though i am also a liverpool supporter considering suicide:lol1:

Jamz3k 20 October 2010 12:32 AM

http://www.bumperstickerz.com/images...0-00-00_lg.png