ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   most power through a standard gearbox (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/812160-most-power-through-a-standard-gearbox.html)

RA Dunk 26 January 2010 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 9183597)
My original P1 box STiV/Vi TY754 was fine with 450 bhp 380ft lb. No drag starts but caned elsewhere.

Ohh dear, Now you tell me :lol1:

scooby1929 26 January 2010 11:01 PM

Is there much difference between the blob 5 speed and hawk 5 speed?

smokingkills 26 January 2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 9181080)
My box was the original standard fitment box for a JDM version 5 WRX, lasted an entire season of Prostreet and some 30-35 hard launches before finally throwing in the towel on a dyno day in October. 4th gear let go and was all that reqd replacing. Box now back in again and all is well :D.

Obviously I can't say how long anyone elses will last.

35 hard launches even with your fancy footwork, thats under 9 miles of reckless driving.:lol1: I won't mention what your clutch made of things YouTube - pro street drag series now where is second gear :lol: Roll on next season.......

Seriously tho, I was shocked how long it lasted. I bet that the box had a few (hundred) dyno runs and spirited road driving too.:wonder:

APIDavid 27 January 2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9183218)
The Redline shockproof gear oil & a magnetic plug makes a fair difference on the life of the gear box.

IF FITTED FROM NEW.

There is no oil made that can make a gearbox last longer if it already on its way.:cry:

It will make things feel better and maybe hide synchro crunches for a while.

BUT think about it - of someone made an oil as good as that, within a week he'd be able to buy Microsoft.:luxhello:

Subaru gearboxes already have magnetic drain plugs fitted.

David

Fat Boy 27 January 2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9183692)
Ohh dear, Now you tell me :lol1:

LOL - the operative words were "it was fine" - it was all working nicely when it came off for the 6 speed and I have never done a drag start in my life so all rolling on stuff on the road/track rather than 7000rpm and a swift sidestep... :D

shaggy6 27 January 2010 02:34 PM

Drive it.. Break it... Fix it... :D

I have had hardly and issues with my TY754 at 320hp/310.. and it gets abused!!

MartynJ 27 January 2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by smokingkills (Post 9183716)
35 hard launches even with your fancy footwork, thats under 9 miles of reckless driving.:lol1: I won't mention what your clutch made of things YouTube - pro street drag series now where is second gear :lol: Roll on next season.......

Seriously tho, I was shocked how long it lasted. I bet that the box had a few (hundred) dyno runs and spirited road driving too.:wonder:

lol, the problem with using second hand clutches :thumb:

joz8968 21 March 2012 03:09 PM

Colossal thread resurrection lol...

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 9181546)
...I think that somewhere between 350 - 380 hp and 350 - 360 ft lbs is probably Ok for a 754...

:luxhello:

I'm within those ranges! (Well, 0.8lb ft 'under' on the torque and 4.3bhp 'over' on the power LOL! :D)

Should be 'fine' then :).................................. *immediately breaks 'box* :mad: