ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   19 year old son wants a turbo...general thoughts? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/665978-19-year-old-son-wants-a-turbo-general-thoughts.html)

thesyn 09 February 2008 10:02 PM

NS04 .... Good one!

Red_WRX_Paul 10 February 2008 08:35 AM

19 with a turbo? tell him to stop dealing drugs and get a corsa, danger to other road users

and anyone on here in early 20's claiming to have an sti or whatever, grow up an stop talkin ****e, or stop sponging off your mummys trust fund
owning a fast car is a privilege not a right

salsa-king 10 February 2008 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7635647)
get a sport and keep it a sport for a couple of years, going stright into a turbo is asking for it.

there was a thread on here not long ago aboue an 18 year old m5 driver who killed not only himself but 3 friends when he crashed it.

1 or 2 years driving experiance aint enough to drive a turbo.

sorry if it sounds harsh, but could save his life in the long run

and Jon knows all about buying a turbo under the age of 25 and not being able to handel it :lol:

seriously... is it wise letting a 19yr old with only 2yrs driving experiance having a turbo/sti etc etc. this is why insurance is so high.
have a look at a few threads where some under 25's on here have wrote the cars off, sall came down to too much right foot to-hand.

;)

anyway... I'm 33 and want another scoob.... but i'm not alllowed! :(

salsa-king 10 February 2008 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Red_WRX_Paul (Post 7640749)
19 with a turbo? tell him to stop dealing drugs and get a corsa, danger to other road users

and anyone on here in early 20's claiming to have an sti or whatever, grow up an stop talkin ****e, or stop sponging off your mummys trust fund

and paying £2600 a year insurance is mad!!

wait till they get a mortgage as well .

osborne 10 February 2008 05:28 PM

I've had mine since i was 18...

Paid for EVERYTHING myself so dont go around making stereotypes an assumptions about people "talkin ****e", it wont get you anywhere in life.

I'm 19 an have no regret in spending my money on my car.

Your a waste of space an shouldn't even bother giving your opinion as it benifits no one and just makes you look an idiot.

Red_WRX_Paul 10 February 2008 11:10 PM

and YOU are either a bull****ter,or a dealing little pimp!
I feel sorry for the poor emergency service personnel who have to scrape your lamentable remains up off your windscreen when u lose it,hopefully not taking anyone else with u

Gear Head 10 February 2008 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red_WRX_Paul (Post 7643373)
and YOU are either a bull****ter,or a dealing little pimp!
I feel sorry for the poor emergency service personnel who have to scrape your lamentable remains up off your windscreen when u lose it,hopefully not taking anyone else with u

What's with the attitude? For someone who is moaning about the inadequacies of youth, your posts lack any sense of rational or understanding. :wonder:

What is your point, other than being jealous of any young individual in the position to pay for their own toys?

fraser87uk 10 February 2008 11:40 PM

Your a ****ing areshole. Im 20, have an sti v6, and pay for everything for the car myself. I have to pay high insurance costs but i does not bother me one bit as i dont drink or anything so have extra money saved that way. I also have developed and now own 2 businesses and work as a Operations Director for another company which leaves me well paid.

So dont stereotype people. Some of us have a good brain and work our asses off.

projectsubaru 11 February 2008 12:36 AM

Your a ****ing areshole. Im 20, have an sti v6, and pay for everything for the car myself. I have to pay high insurance costs but i does not bother me one bit as i dont drink or anything so have extra money saved that way. I also have developed and now own 2 businesses and work as a Operations Director for another company which leaves me well paid.

So dont stereotype people. Some of us have a good brain and work our asses off.

Well said that man!

Bungleaio 11 February 2008 10:08 AM

There are always exceptions to the rule but 18/19 year old kids are just that, kids. Cars no matter how fun they are, are not toys they can cause a lot of damage but at that age you can't always see it.

Also I don't see the value for money of spending a few grand on insurance, You can buy a hell of a lot of beer for £2000! But each to their own, you pays your money you takes your choice. I would have been very proud to of had a full fat scoob when I was 19, i'd be proud to have one now!

Remember though power is not everything, my classic mini can keep up with all sorts of machinery on the twisty stuff, admitidly its not very quick down a long straight (48 bhp) but going over 100 down a country lane will end in tears one day, I bet every rally car driver in the land has got at least one "It was all going so well until...." story.

The way that the roads are filling up now the chance of having some fun is getting rarer, I think my next car will be something very sedate that does loads of MPG, but I will have a track car :norty:

redeye 11 February 2008 10:41 AM

when i got my first scoob i was told "ITS A LISCENCE LOSER" I just laughed.I didnt think i would smash mine.but i did,i got a hefty fine and a 2 year ban.I was 29 at the time.GET HIM SOME EXPERIANCE first.
Just something to think about.

fat_boy 11 February 2008 10:57 AM

i think it dont really matter how old you are after all if ur 19 or 29 you will still drive a scooby fast thts after all wt there ment to do i have just turned 22 and have a 03 wrx and i did drive fast for a week until i noticed how much fuel the thing drinks lol so if he wants one i would let him i think he will have to drive it slow to afford the fuel after a while i know i do lol :)

superstar1 11 February 2008 12:20 PM

My lad who was 20 at the time rang up for a quote and gave the details of my turbo wagon. They wanted seven grand fully comp. Now he has a Festa ST150 and pays three grand. Would'nt entertain buying an Impreza sport, as i've said before on here there's better cars out there for a lot less money. This lad should face up to the fact that where Imprezas are concered it's turbo or don't bother. And if four wheel drives important buy a Fiat Panda.

Tidgy 11 February 2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 7640790)
and Jon knows all about buying a turbo under the age of 25 and not being able to handel it :lol:

seriously... is it wise letting a 19yr old with only 2yrs driving experiance having a turbo/sti etc etc. this is why insurance is so high.
have a look at a few threads where some under 25's on here have wrote the cars off, sall came down to too much right foot to-hand.

;)

anyway... I'm 33 and want another scoob.... but i'm not alllowed! :(

i was 22 at the time mate ;) pmsl

Gear Head 11 February 2008 12:50 PM

Had my first sti at 21. Still alive and kicking 4 years later. :D
But, as I said in my previous post, I was lucky enough to have a lot of racing experience. :thumb:

Tidgy 11 February 2008 12:53 PM

mine was just bad judgment, didn't expect a pedestrain to cross and swerved to avoid them. a lesson lernt in might add.

thast what he'll be lacking for definate

Gear Head 11 February 2008 01:04 PM

I think the main problem at that age is the lifestyle.
Picking up mates in your new cool car, which just happens to be the fastest car any of your friends have ever been in.

'Go faster... Go faster'. 10 seconds later, you're all in a ditch or on your way to heaven.

Luckily, when I did this sort of thing, I was the first bloke in my year (beaten by a girl! :razz: ) to pass their driving test. So, the fastest car, was my car, which happened to be a 1.7 non-turbo diesel astra estate! :D
Try going fast in one of those with 4 mates in the back! :wonder:

Turbo2 11 February 2008 02:25 PM

Don't remind me of the Astra 1.7D (non-turbo)! I remember starting the training course at a new employer with a group of other novice salesmen. We knew we'd be getting company cars. Out in the car-park were the other employees' Mercs, Beemers, Porsche and Audi. We were expecting at least decent-spec Cavs or Mondeos. How our faces dropped when we gawped out the office window and saw a seemingly never-ending fleet of bland white and blue L reg Astra "Merit" 1.7D's arriving from the nearby dealer. This was the utter pondlife of the company car hierarchy and raised sniggers from customers and competitors if you had the misfortune to be spotted in your car.

They drove even worse than they looked and needed servicing every 3000 miles which was 1 or 2 times each month for what we were doing! The only thing you could overtake were the Norris Coles in their old Maestro Clubman diesels. I had to put up with mine for a year till I got a low pressure turbo facelift M reg one: that was marginally better. I eventually moved on and got a then new Volvo V40 2.0 petrol. That seemed like heaven at the time!

Red_WRX_Paul 11 February 2008 05:03 PM

sti v6 at 20? dealing drugs is NOT a business you dog-rimmer!
:cuckoo:

my mate bought an evo 5 at 29 and several people told him he was a bit young for a toy like that,sure enough he stuffed it. im a hell of a lot older than that and proud that i own a wrx.a fast car IS NOT A RIGHT ITS A PRIVILEGE U EARN IT