ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Attacked by another Subaru Driver (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/618322-attacked-by-another-subaru-driver.html)

funkyspider 04 July 2007 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by swampster (Post 7076446)
Erm, I might be completely wrong here... but I think it might have been a witticism, you know a joke.. :thumb:

A light hearted comment is as good for the situation as all the ppl saying carry a crowbar, a screwdriver to stab ppl with, run them over, blah blah blah, or did the fact that it was obviously an antisocial violent act on an innocent driver need re-affirming to you with another shock, horror response ?

Oh and to ramming their car with yours... Ths achieves what exactly ?
It damages your radiator so you can't drive away, leaves their car with superficial rear end damage, so it still drives fine, puts you right alongside the person with the crowbar which will come straight through your windscreen and into your face now. Oh and allows the car behind to block you in. Not so sure it was the right thing to do now are you.

If you want protection then join a gang, drive around with a 'posse' and carry a firearm. Call yourself 'jizzy tissue' or something, and be proud of the fact you've been shot 10times now - Oh and move the the US of A with their right to carry arms. Other than that if someone wants your car and you are on your own the best approach is always going to be to get away with your car uninjured, like this straight thinking bloke did, or if you can't just give them the bloody car.

It's a piece of metal covered by insurance - You are 90odd percent water covered by the NHS.

'Bloody classic drivers' :rolleyes:

andythejock01wrx 04 July 2007 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by funkyspider (Post 7077194)

If you want protection then join a gang, drive around with a 'posse' and carry a firearm. Call yourself 'jizzy tissue' or something,

It's a piece of metal covered by insurance - You are 90odd percent water covered by the NHS.

'Bloody classic drivers' :rolleyes:

Boy, you're on form today Funky !

Think the last comment might go down like a pint of sick though ! :lol1:

Andy

Scoob99 04 July 2007 08:47 AM

Sh!t Alan, glad your OK mate well done for keeping a cool head under a very bad situation, and I'm glad the Police were understanding too, hope they get the gits and string them up.
Cheers
Colin

funkyspider 04 July 2007 08:59 AM

Well to me it's perfectly obvious that it was a real nasty situation that pretty much anyone who drives a performance car dreads happening to them. Of course I'm thankful that the bloke got away uninjured, and even better, with his car. I hope to god the police catch them before they inflict this terror on someone else, and pray I never have to post a thread like this.

'bloody classic drivers' was a sarcastic play on the often mentioned scoobynet comments that the cheaper classics are often associated with a 'non-enthusiast' driver. No offence was meant to classic drivers unless of course they fall into the crow-bar weilding category.

swampster 04 July 2007 09:14 AM

A light hearted comment is as good for the situation as all the ppl saying carry a crowbar, a screwdriver to stab ppl with, run them over, blah blah blah, or did the fact that it was obviously an antisocial violent act on an innocent driver need re-affirming to you with another shock, horror response ?

Ahh, so the other guys were in fact right then!?.. you did mean it seriously!? my apologies I misunderstood your comment as a witticism and that you were trying to make a light hearted comment!? When you actually meant it when you said 'bloody classic drivers' as if they're all crow bar carrying lunatics!

Oh and to ramming their car with yours... Ths achieves what exactly ?
It damages your radiator so you can't drive away, leaves their car with superficial rear end damage, so it still drives fine, puts you right alongside the person with the crowbar which will come straight through your windscreen and into your face now. Oh and allows the car behind to block you in. Not so sure it was the right thing to do now are you.

I presume that is aimed at my comment as well. So... in the context that I suggested ramming the car was in a situation where you're already boxed in. So the choice is..
1. Sit and do nothing, they might be nice car jackers and just take your keys.
2. Sit and do nothing, they more than likely won't be nice car jackers and your face meets crow bar as well as they take your keys
3. Try to ram your way out, then making an escape albeit it in a damaged car but it's still likely to get you somewhere out of the situation
4. Try to ram your way out, and getting nowhere then your face meets crowbar

I'm still pretty sure what I'd do in that situation!

FlipC 04 July 2007 09:15 AM

Kinda odd for a car jacking attempt.
Seems to me that they wanted the driver not the car. Honestly, how would YOU go about doing a car jacking? While car is in motion or follow and wait for it to stop. Either there is something we don't know or it is a case of mistaken identity.

If I might suggest.
If you happen to live in an area where you feel the need to protect yourself while in your car why not electrify your car controlled by a flip switch?

swampster 04 July 2007 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by funkyspider (Post 7077235)
'bloody classic drivers' was a sarcastic play on the often mentioned scoobynet comments that the cheaper classics are often associated with a 'non-enthusiast' driver. No offence was meant to classic drivers unless of course they fall into the crow-bar weilding category.

Err? then why quote my comment and go off an a tirade at me!? I was actually pointing out that you were being sarcastic/being witty/making a joke*

bob r 04 July 2007 05:11 PM

Bad news to the poster and to us all. Entertaining comments though.

Was the car damaged :wonder:

Either way, I bet some on hear will read this thread and think ..........:idea: Wahey! I've just done a red light, got zapped by the camera and I'm now looking at 3 points and I too could use a similar bizarre storey to get me off ;)

Prasius 04 July 2007 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by bob r (Post 7078664)
Bad news to the poster and to us all. Entertaining comments though.

Was the car damaged :wonder:

Either way, I bet some on hear will read this thread and think ..........:idea: Wahey! I've just done a red light, got zapped by the camera and I'm now looking at 3 points and I too could use a similar bizarre storey to get me off ;)

A crow-bar shaped dink in your bonnet probably helps back up the story though! ;)

bob r 04 July 2007 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Prasius (Post 7078667)
A crow-bar shaped dink in your bonnet probably helps back up the story though! ;)

Or a good imagination and convincing storey.;) ;)

Alan wrx-sti 04 July 2007 05:26 PM

Hi all,

First of all with regards to the scum wanting the driver and not the car I can't understand why, as there are only a few poeple I know with Subaru's and are all members of SIDC like myself.

I do not even live in that part of Glasgow was driving through it to visits my folks.

And yes there is some damage to the drivers window a 3/4inch mark where the crow bar hit the window but did not break it, they guy also hit the pillar next to the rear windscreen 3 deep marks right down to the metal.

I spoke to the Police today and they are still checking the CCTV in that area

Alan.

Snazy 04 July 2007 05:29 PM

Shocking to hear it mate, sounds like a classic car jacking. Would be random to attack a driver like that if there has been no history or incident.

Glad to hear you got away ok. Would be interesting to know if anyone else has fallen victim to such an attack.

Guess it could be mistaken identity, but surely they would know once they saw you.

johnnywrx 04 July 2007 08:09 PM

absolutly appaling :mad: this does sound like an attempted carjack with the classic stolen with the acompolaces following. i think even if it had damaged my car i WOULD run the f**king w&"%er over and reversed over again to make sure.:mad:

Glad to hear u r ok m8:thumb:

SirFozzalot 04 July 2007 08:13 PM

:eek:

andyt1981 04 July 2007 08:30 PM

glad your ok mate,
i dont no how i would of reacted when the adrenalin kicks in

DevilHimSelf 04 July 2007 10:59 PM

Im sorry to hear about what happened, hope your over it.

Now to the muppets here who say a car is just metal.

Is your fully paid for? or is it on 1.Lease, or 2.lease purchase?

I bought mine outright and i have worked very hard on my "Classic" now for four years to get it to where i am very happy with it. And i would not let it go without a really good fight. But there are some very flippant members who seem to think we are all "rich" and can afford to lose their pride and joy.

I am not one of them and i say you want something thats mine, you better be prepared to fight for it. Thats the problem nowadays, the police say "dont fight, give em the keys" And then because noone was hurt write it off and dont put too much effort to find it.

Why? In case i get hurt or maybe they attack my wife or kids? Thats 3 reasons why i wont.

If you roll over you are giving the message, "hey,im easy" and the scum bags come back when yah get another car to do the same?

Ok, so i await the flaming! :)

psyops 04 July 2007 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf (Post 7080393)

I can't imagine why. You are absolutely correct. It is the people who stand up for themselves and their property who are the thin line between the pond life and their victims. If everyone folded then there would be no deterrent against crime. Every day countless scum walk by you and your valuables... The thought that you might fight back could be the only thing that prevents them from taking that which is yours.

The people who would hand over their possessions owe those of us a who wouldn't a debt of gratitude for it is those of use who are willing to take a claw hammer to the joints of a thief who are providing the deterrent that prisons are not. :)

NickyB 04 July 2007 11:53 PM

OMG, this is really scary! I'm glad you're ok.
I just bought my first Impreza, I hope this doesn't happen often!

muffking69 05 July 2007 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by NickyB (Post 7080537)
OMG, this is really scary! I'm glad you're ok.
I just bought my first Impreza, I hope this doesn't happen often!

Only in Glasgow, that's probably why they ended up with an old Land Rover.

Seriously though, it does sound like an attempted car jacking. Just keep your wits about you from now on and don't get to close to the car infront at traffic lights or junctions so you still have room to pull out.

With regards to other performance car owners, basically do the same, as in keeping your wits about you and making sure your doors are locked. Someone tried to open the door on my old Astra GTE years ago when I was at a junction, but I always lock my doors 'cos you never know.
It's maybe even a good reason to have tinted windows these days, that way thieves don't know what they are up against and it will keep glass from flying everywhere should a crowbar (or similar) ever make it's way through the window (although secure film as previously mentioned is also a good idea).

matchmaker 05 July 2007 12:09 AM

There are times like this that I wish I had my friends Mr Smith & Mr Wesson (model 29) with me :razz::razz:

big toe 05 July 2007 12:40 AM

nightmare!

alloy 05 July 2007 02:40 AM

Nasty situation, glad to hear your ok.....which reminds me i really should get round to taking that hefty breaker bar back out of my car ;)

chocolate_o_brian 05 July 2007 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf (Post 7080393)
Im sorry to hear about what happened, hope your over it.

Now to the muppets here who say a car is just metal.

Is your fully paid for? or is it on 1.Lease, or 2.lease purchase?

I bought mine outright and i have worked very hard on my "Classic" now for four years to get it to where i am very happy with it. And i would not let it go without a really good fight. But there are some very flippant members who seem to think we are all "rich" and can afford to lose their pride and joy.

I am not one of them and i say you want something thats mine, you better be prepared to fight for it. Thats the problem nowadays, the police say "dont fight, give em the keys" And then because noone was hurt write it off and dont put too much effort to find it.

Why? In case i get hurt or maybe they attack my wife or kids? Thats 3 reasons why i wont.

If you roll over you are giving the message, "hey,im easy" and the scum bags come back when yah get another car to do the same?

well said!! i for one totally agree. im not in the position whereas i can just give my keys over, and think "well il claim off my insurance if they burn it out". the insurance renewal wouldnt be worth it, and being a yound driver i wouldnt get insured on anything. so i for one would try put some sort of defence up, until i genuinley felt i was not going to get anywhere. hence the ideas for carrying something around with thee in the car.