ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Good 80's bands/albums (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/543306-good-80s-bands-albums.html)

mart360 12 September 2006 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I saw them in Rio :) at some grubby sweaty little club near sugar loaf.

The last place on earth I would have expected to have seen them

Human League - early stuff, Being Boiled still sounds good today
Sisters of Mercy
Depeche Mode, although I have totally outgrown their early stuff, I prefer them from 1988 onwards, too poppy for my liking until then.
Tubeway Army & Gary Numan up until 83 - yeah plane crashes blah blah, although he never actually crashed one, You tube has a load of his stuff, I didnt evenm know there was a vid for Airlane featuring his black and red "Telekon" plane
Clash
Mission
Ian Dury and the Blockheads
Southern Death Cult / Cult
Smiths
Stone Roses
Ultravox
Icicle Works
New Order/Joy Division
Fashion
Bauhaus
Adam and the Ants - up until KOTWF, went total amatuer dramatics after that.
Japan
Talk Talk
Flock of Seagulls - 1st Album
Swansway
B-Movie - Nowhere Girl 12" is still a favourite
Boomtown Rats
Echo and the Bunnymen - still going strong :thumb:
Associates
Skids

To name a few ;)

swansway, now theres a rare one!! soultrain was superb,

if you want one hit wonders theres
kissing the pink
nash the slash
sava sava (sp)
laurie anderson(although she has done loads of other stuff, so not sure if she qualifys)
or landscape, suberb album sadly underated,

havnt scritti politti just released a new album ?? must have a listen

Mart

Miss Kinky 12 September 2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
With regards to the Sisters of Mercy; Id say that First and Last and Always was ****e... Body Electric; Alice and The Reptile House EP were massively superior. Simon

Body Electric - stunning
Alice - stunning

First and Last and Always - what about "Marian" and "Some Kind of Stranger"

Have you ever heard the cover of Emma?

And what about some of the later stuff with Jim Steinman...?

"This Corrosion" (which is about The Mission)...?

and "Ribbons"...?

so many fantastic songs...

GC8 12 September 2006 06:35 PM

I hated it with a passion. If we're talking about the later rubbish then I will revise my opinion of First and Last and Always to: 'inferior to their earlier work'. The 'white suit on TOTP' stuff was dire beyond belief; it was emabrrassing....

Simon

GC8 12 September 2006 06:40 PM

I have heard it (Emma) yes; I had a bootleg cassette (remember those?) of the 1985 tour, recorded in Newcastle. This is making me uncomfortable; I prefer The Killers; The White Stripes; The Zutons and Arctic Monkeys now.....

Simon

Funkii Munkii 12 September 2006 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
I have heard it (Emma) yes; I had a bootleg cassette (remember those?)

I certainly do, I have just put a load of cassettes in the loft amongst them loads of bootleg tapes of concerts from Hammy Odeon from the early 80's, with luminous Orange and Yellow photocopied covers, whatever happened to those guys down Camden that used to sell them, is there such a thing as bootlegs these days, I've even got a gatefold bootleg Vinyl of Numan Live in Ipswich of all places..

Funkii Munkii 12 September 2006 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
swansway, now theres a rare one!! soultrain was superb,

if you want one hit wonders theres
kissing the pink
havnt scritti politti just released a new album ?? must have a listen

Mart

I have the Kissing the Pink 12 " The Last Film

The Scritti Pollitti album was up for the Mercury prize, and it's been getting some very good reviews, loads of their 12" stuff in my collection :) Cupid and Physche 1985 was a top album, link to their new album on special at HMV with some soundbites, pure scritti :)
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayP...;-1&sku=456338

Funkii Munkii 12 September 2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Madge............ :D

Vag !!

;)

gatty 12 September 2006 07:36 PM

the wonder stuff ! 808 state! 80s/90s start of my era:luvlove:

Bug Eyed Peas 12 September 2006 07:57 PM

The Cult. She Sells Sanctuary. Saw them live at MK Bowl a few years ago and they were awesome. :thumb:

Anyway give me 80`s music over this hip hop crap anyday, beats it hands down IMO. Least they knew how to write a lyric unlike today.
Who thought of "guns don`t kill people, rappers do?" Bloomin GLC, was that the start of chavism????

Anthony

BTW like all 80`s music, just gonna dig out my 12" now. :luvlove:

gatty 12 September 2006 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
The Cult. She Sells Sanctuary. Saw them live at MK Bowl a few years ago and they were awesome. :thumb:

Anyway give me 80`s music over this hip hop crap anyday, beats it hands down IMO. Least they knew how to write a lyric unlike today.
Who thought of "guns don`t kill people, rappers do?" Bloomin GLC, was that the start of chavism????

Anthony

BTW like all 80`s music, just gonna dig out my 12" now. :luvlove:

i have to agree with that statment, modern music modern standards go hand in hand.

i quite like this modern indie revival thats going on killers kasabian etc...

Bug Eyed Peas 12 September 2006 08:13 PM

I don`t personally like Kasabian, think they are trying to be the new Stone Roses IMHO. I do like the Killers though, a touch of the modern romantics with his eyeshadow etc though :Whatever_
Why has no one mentioned Blue Monday, New Order? Biggest selling 12" of all time :)

Anthony

mart360 12 September 2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
I don`t personally like Kasabian, think they are trying to be the new Stone Roses IMHO. I do like the Killers though, a touch of the modern romantics with his eyeshadow etc though :Whatever_
Why has no one mentioned Blue Monday, New Order? Biggest selling 12" of all time :)

Anthony

bit of an oxymoron, its onlt the biggest selling 12", cos it was originally only ever released on 12"

question is.......

who still has a copy :thumb:

Mart

GC8 12 September 2006 09:11 PM

Me

Funkii Munkii 13 September 2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mart360
bit of an oxymoron, its onlt the biggest selling 12", cos it was originally only ever released on 12"

question is.......

who still has a copy :thumb:

Mart

In it's original "Floppy Disc" cover :thumb:

Sadly that song has been played to death down the years and my ears usually switch off when its on the radio now, fantastic at thetime though, the follow up single Confusion was also 12" only, but there was a 7" Promo going about which I have a copy of, thanks to my neighbour who was an engineer for Tony Blackburn of all people, he got it for me from GLR, they should be worth something by now :)

Miss Kinky 13 September 2006 07:50 AM

love the remix with Kylie's "Can't Get You Outta My Head" :thumb:

swiss scooby 13 September 2006 07:57 AM

My Bloody Valentine
Pixies