ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Origin Blue i GPS Speed Trap Detector (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/50428-origin-blue-i-gps-speed-trap-detector.html)

DocJock 28 October 2001 10:10 AM

Ordered today :D

Thanks Tony

druddle 31 October 2001 04:55 PM

FYI - spoke to Origin this afternoon and they now say they anticipate delvery of pre-ordered units to be mid-November, not early-November as previously thought.

Dave

SeanG 31 October 2001 05:12 PM

Derek at Networx told me to expect delivery of the unit around Nov 20th when I ordered mine last week.

Sean

evo5uk 01 November 2001 03:28 PM

what are the main differences between this system & the Geodessy?? Want to get one of these. Which do you reckon is better & why?

tonybooth 01 November 2001 03:39 PM

evo5uk

Check out www.originbluei.com

I am sure that you will be convinced :D

TONY

Adam M 01 November 2001 03:44 PM

only reason I can see geodesy beingbetter is because it is smaller therefore easier to place and lighter.

the geodesy does look like a con by comparison though.

druddle 16 November 2001 02:18 PM

Called Origin again today and they confirmed that my unit is due to be shipped in the 1st week of December.

If you preordered, give them your name/ref number they can tell you where on the order list you are.

Dave

kryten 16 November 2001 05:24 PM

Specs look impressive BUT I've found the Geodesy to be very accurate and the warning system to be very easy to use. Everyone I know who's had/used one has had no problems and it has notified of every 'accident blackspot'.

At the end of the day the ONLY thing that matters with these units is the quality of the database.

I've only ever been past one Gatso that didn't set the thing off and that was two weeks ago just as roadworks were being put up on the M4 (Hmm, must check about the 50 quid bonus.....)

AlanS 17 November 2001 02:42 PM

Sounds great. I've just ordered mine online with the GPS extension cable.
Question now is where's it going to go in the cockpit?
Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Is anyone thinking of wiring the cigarette lighter power cable (supplied) to a permanent live feed, enabling a shorter piece of cable to be fed through the fascia to the device - to avoid the ugliness of two metres of cable coming from the cigarette lighter.

I'm definately considering this...

SeanG 19 November 2001 08:58 AM

I have been thinking about siting the Origin Blue unit. I am a non smoker and was considering removing the ashtray and velcroing the holder into the hole (fixing the base of the holder to the bottom surface of the hole). Alternatively, removing the holder all together and velcroing the back of the unit directly to the front face of the ashtray. Both these methods will require the antenna extension.

Anyone see any problems with this and wish to comment, please feel free

Sean

JonW 19 November 2001 10:24 AM

Hmmm, looks good but only offers the same funstions as the Trafcam in a smaller box (same approx cost), and the trafcam can be used for routeplanning and other PDA things too.

Did anyone evaluate the Trafcam or sort a group buy? I dont remember either...

Jon.

Adam M 19 November 2001 10:51 AM

no group buy, just an intraductory discount.

I dont recall the trafcam having info on speed cameras, or have a I missed something?

Origin reckon on their database already being as good as the geodesy and offer the same reward for locating them only with a record button which knows the exact time and location you are in when you press it. When you download from the sight it, it uploads any records you have made and the time and date to see if you were the first for prize allocation.

I was thinking about locating the unit in the central arm rest. Ultimately it is only the tone which is important so I thought it would be a good idea to hide the unit. I will also be sending an ignition feed from the back of the stereo/ignition barrel/cigarette lighter through the centre console to hide the unsightly wires.

JonW 19 November 2001 11:09 AM

Hi Adam,

I meant a group buy and / or review of the Trafcam... should have made myself more clear...

Having owned a GPS I know you need line of sight due to the low power of the GPS receivers so to do your armrest plan I am sure you will need the extension lead if you didnt already order it.

Check out www.trafcam.com for more info on speed camera detection on the unit - its wat its designed for... Im not saying its better / worse etc just trying to find whats best to spend my money on.

So far I can see the following:

Geodesy is most market mature, but is just LEDs and no other info.
Bluei is a more modern Geodesy with LCD screen and speed info.
Trafcam is larger and harder to place but does all the Bluei does and is still useful as a PDA if you want sucha thing. Also it seems it has route info so you could use it as sat nav.
(This assumes they all tell you about speed cameras, the Bluei and Trafcam both tell you what sort and do speed setting/warning that the Geodesy doesnt)

Anyone have any better idea or evaluated any / either / all?

Jon.

AlanS 30 November 2001 11:35 PM

Has anyone recieved their unit yet. Mines arriving 12th Dec. Anyone ready to post an evaluation yet?

Gareth Williams 03 December 2001 05:45 PM

Looks really impressive. Has anyone received their's yet and is it any good?
Just looked at their website and the £350 deal price is now available until 10th December..think I might have to go for it.
Gareth.

Gareth Williams 04 December 2001 06:01 PM

Anyone??
I'm sure they must have been delivered by now...??!!

Neanderthal 04 December 2001 07:51 PM

I've been almost tempted by this a few times. It's been delayed quite a bit though hasn't it?
Wasn't it originally meant for an early Novemeber release?

I'm deffo going to hold off parting with my money till people actually start recieving them.

Matt

GAZZ SCOOBY 04 December 2001 10:09 PM

I get mine delivered on 10/12/01 jut had confirmation on this

Thanks
Gazza