ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Wasps nest in a hole in the ground :eek: (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/344216-wasps-nest-in-a-hole-in-the-ground-eek.html)

Nimbus 14 July 2004 11:03 AM

Operation Garden Storm

19 Attachment(s)
Ladies and Gentlemen,

There now follows an official debrief on Operation Garden Storm...

The original strike was scheduled to take place tonight. However, this was brought forward 24 hrs due to reports of unfavourable weather conditions for the planned start time (it's going to rain). Central Command (wife) gave authorisation to start operations early, although I had to finish my tea first.

The following photographs were taken during the operation.

The Battle Scene

The main hole is marked by the yellow pointers on the top and left of the picture.

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0...attleField.jpg

Close-up of Battle area

The white powder marks the hole position. This was from a previous unsuccessful chemical attack (Nippon)

Attachment 59225

Close-up of Enemy Position

Some activity was detected on close rece. This and subsequent pictures showed that the chemical attack had little or no effect.

Attachment 59226

Attachment 59227

Attachment 59228

Attachment 59229

Staging Area

Equipment was assembled and brought to a staging area ready for deployment to the combat zone. The equipment comprised of;

1) Petrol (BP Unleaded (96RON))

2) Nippon Ant Powder

3) Sand

4) Small Stones

5) Soil

6) Trowels

7) Wooden Dole to stamp down the filling material

Attachment 59230

Enemy Positions

On close rece, two additional holes were discovered close to the main hole. These could be possible secondary exits and need to be closed off before the main assault.

Attachment 59231

Attachment 59232

First Strike

An early first strike was carried out to close off these holes. No wasp activity at these holes was noticed during this daylight operation. Still, can't take chances...

Attachment 59233

Phase 1

After careful positioning of equipment the phase 1 strike went in. A mug full of BP Unleaded (96 RON) was tipped down the main hole and ignited

Attachment 59234

I love the smell of Napalm. Smells like... victory...

Attachment 59235

Actually, there was a strong smell of burning wasps.. not that nice really...

Attachment 59235

Is this fire ever going to go out? Perhaps I should not have use so much petrol.

Attachment 59237

Anyone got any burgers?

Attachment 59238

Nearly out...

Attachment 59239

Smouldering remains...

Attachment 59240

The first phase showed that there was a barely concealed tunnel leading from the main hole to the secondary ones. This was also gutted by the inferno.

Attachment 59241

Filled in

After filling the holes with a mixture of small stones, sand and a topping of soil, the battle area has been returned to a level garden again.

Attachment 59242

The Day After

This morning a rece was performed over the battle site. Some wasps were seen trying to find a way in. These must have been out on patrol during the attack. There were finished off with a mk1 boot. No evidence of the enemy trying to burrow out was found. Once some more grass seed has been sown, you will never know there was a major battle here...

Attachment 59243

At no time during the attack were any members of the coalition injured.

I now open this up for questions.

SJ_Skyline 14 July 2004 11:06 AM

:D Brilliant :D

minor_threat 14 July 2004 11:08 AM

:notworthy

PMSL! That was worth waiting for! :D

ajm 14 July 2004 11:19 AM

LOL! :D

Just one minor point though.... if half of that powder around the entrance had actually gone IN the hole they would have all been dead!

Bravo2zero_sps 14 July 2004 11:22 AM

Thats bloody funny :lol: :thumb:

Edcase 14 July 2004 11:25 AM

Hehe, awesome :D:D

Christ 14 July 2004 11:27 AM

Awesome :D :D Nice Camera Work...

Chris

Nimbus 14 July 2004 11:29 AM

ajm,

The council woman said NOT to but it down the hole, but just around the entrance. I thought this was odd, but got over rulled. Still, ment I could do the job properly..

Christ 14 July 2004 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nimbus
ajm,

The council woman said NOT to but it down the hole, but just around the entrance. I thought this was odd, but got over rulled. Still, ment I could do the job properly..

Did she also tell you to bee careful?? :D

ajm 14 July 2004 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nimbus
ajm,

Good point! By giving you duff information she unwittingly gave you (and us) carte blanche for a "petroleum vespa" extravaganza! :D

ChrisB 14 July 2004 11:37 AM

Nimbus, you don't live by this Focus store do you...?

Can't beat a daily dose of pyromania care of SN :D

Brendan Hughes 14 July 2004 11:40 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/images/10620...ion_banner.jpg

Nimbus 14 July 2004 11:42 AM

ChrisB, no... ;) I have a healthy respect for fire.

Chritst, I see what you did there... ;)

Neil Smalley 14 July 2004 11:44 AM

There looks to be a huge amount of collatoral damage. You obviously deployed a daisy cutter by mistake

Bravo2zero_sps 14 July 2004 11:47 AM

I tell you what, glad you have done this and posted up the results, i'm amazed it only needed a mugfull of petrol, I would have gone and chucked a litre down the hole for good measure :o Now know that a mugfull is enough for any future dealings and not to go blowing my garden up with a litre of petrol :D

Brendan Hughes 14 July 2004 11:50 AM

BTW, what I was on about earlier...

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/FLAME_GUN.html

StickyMicky 14 July 2004 11:53 AM

LMFAO

this thread is class

StickyMicky 14 July 2004 11:54 AM

bit disapointed tho, i was expecting to see pics of you running about in the dark with loads of flying firebombs chaseing after you

Nimbus 14 July 2004 11:57 AM

B2Z,

While it was burning I was thinking.. Have I used too much? I'm sure I can hear it burning underground.. is it going to find a way under the garden and blow my house up?

on reflection, I could have used more and let it soak into the ground first so that it got further down. I think the operation was a success though.

Neil,

The extent of the tunnels was greater that I first though. I needed to ensure that all the tunnels were filled in. Better safe than sorry :)

StickyMicky 14 July 2004 12:01 PM

i would have just poured a cannister of petrol down the hole, lit it and ran in the house and closed all the windows, and watched the nice lights lol

Brendan Hughes 14 July 2004 12:02 PM

What, the blue flashing ones approaching your house?

Neil W 14 July 2004 12:38 PM

Superb Thread!

Very entertaining:)

Cheers.

Steve PPP 14 July 2004 12:42 PM

Outstanding mission soldier :thumb:

Jsut be careful with the petrol, local lad was badly burned doing similar at home. The vapour is the danger, it is highly volatile. Make sure all containers are well away from combat zone before "going in".

If you could get hold of 1 of those bomb disposal "wheelbarrow" robot mounted shotguns that would be a blast of a different kind :)

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/...eemerwhore.gif

Neil Smalley 14 July 2004 12:54 PM

Neil,

The extent of the tunnels was greater that I first though. I needed to ensure that all the tunnels were filled in. Better safe than sorry
Are you sure you got them all, I just hope for your sake they have'nt just snorted the petrol/Nippon and mutated.

Buuugggss

http://mitglied.lycos.de/homerscorne...rs%20-%201.jpg

ajm 14 July 2004 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Steve PPP
Jsut be careful with the petrol, local lad was badly burned doing similar at home. The vapour is the danger, it is highly volatile. Make sure all containers are well away from combat zone before "going in".

Petrol vapour is denser than air, so it tends to "spill" a layer over the ground. My super-careful (and very conservative ;) ) father decided to get a wet bonfire going with petrol. By the time he had poured the petrol on, walked the container to a "safe" distance and returned the grass all round the fire was surrounded by a nice layer of petrol vapour. When he lit the bonfire there was a WHOOOF and the flames shot between his legs and about 6 foot all round the bonfire and then immediately extinguished.

Gave him a bit of a shock, but it was interesting to note that he would have been safer if had just put the top back on the container, plonked it down about 6 feet away and lit the fire immediately before the vapours could collect!

Interestingly, they say 2 pints worth of evaporated petrol with a ready air supply has the equivalent power as a stick of dynamite! :D

grovesy 14 July 2004 01:34 PM

:D :D :D

Quality

matlow 14 July 2004 01:59 PM

ahh no friendly fire! had this been in america................

TelBoy 14 July 2004 02:48 PM

Excellent thread!! :D :D

"Anyone got any burgers?" - PMSL :D

Chris L 14 July 2004 02:58 PM

Top thread Nimbus :)

As someone mentioned earlier - reminds me of the 'Moles' thread from last year :D

Chris

TelBoy 14 July 2004 02:59 PM

Yeah, and where *is* Makalu - we never did get an update did we??