ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   ring land blown on fresh build.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1032619-ring-land-blown-on-fresh-build.html)

typersti9307 17 December 2015 12:44 PM

Finally getting somewhere, after talking to all party's involved a plan has been hatched which I am happy with, the mapper was not at fault, under closer inspection oil had been entering the bore via a stem seal/ guide unknown which intern, brought on det tough pill to swallow on second build, just one of them thing's, both builder and mapper have been very helpful and are continuing to support me with advice ect, all said shouldn't be too expensive to rectify and continue, thanks to all for your advice and support, felt like I'd had a tit full at the time, all doesn't seem to bad now I've stripped it thanks again

Tidgy 17 December 2015 12:45 PM

So was an engine build fault?

ALi-B 17 December 2015 01:41 PM

How does a stem seal "suck" oil when the engine is running on boost? Stem seals only suck oil in under vacuum (off boost, under idle/decelaration etc).

Of course if severe, it could cause a momentary level of det when giving some beans immediatly after an extended amount of decelaration (engine braking using gears for a bend, going down hill etc). But it will only be momentary and it will clear. But the oil burning would be very noticeable by the puff of smoke everytime you put foot back on the accelarator.

Maybe it could cause an issue after 5000miles with glowing deposits if the car isn't used hard enough to keep the chambers clean, but not 500. (FYI...just stripped a Golf engine for oil guzzling - we own it and thrash it and give it grief. Combustion chambers were no worse than any other car - owing to the use it gets burning it off).

Just IMHO, of course.

4u2nv2 17 December 2015 04:20 PM

surly new stem seals were fitted to a new build.. who supplied them and fitted them???

spudboytim 17 December 2015 09:20 PM

Glad to see that your getting somewhere with the mapper and builder, hopefully u can get the issue put right at no cost to yourself! Make sure u keep giving us the updates. :-)

rob84 17 December 2015 09:49 PM

So what was the mapper's excuse for doing 3 runs over boosting it. That's never going to help.

johned 17 December 2015 10:00 PM

Hope things work out ok.

ossett2k2 17 December 2015 11:10 PM

Got to agree with rob,over boosting 'off the charts' 3 times is just bad mapping,a little oil from the valve stem oil seals sounds a bit fishy to me.
Glad it's getting sorted tho and you should still name the builder&mapper so we can praise them for sorting it out at no further cost to yourself :)

Steve001 18 December 2015 09:26 AM

What amazes me is that the issue went on for 18 months from what I understand and is now sorted after a few days of ScoobyNet exposure :Suspiciou:

JDM_Stig 18 December 2015 09:37 AM

sounds like pure bull**** if honest, but if it keeps the OP happy who am I to care . .

The Trooper 1815 18 December 2015 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4u2nv2 (Post 11772208)
2nd that :thumb:
also, are parts changed for peace of mind rather then lets wait for it to chuck a rod halfway thro a stage.. arnt rally cars around 300 bhp only?

hope for a good outcome buddy, but would still like to no who the mapper/builder is. :Whatever_

The stresses of a race engine are far greater than your average car. They may only be 300bhp but the delivery, transfer and distribution levels are way beyond your average car.

A poor comparison really.

Darrell@Scoobyworx 18 December 2015 10:34 AM

subscribed

raly-pete 09 January 2016 09:22 PM

It sounds like oil somehow got in to the turbo.. I've seen this several times before..this will make the engine pick up and take off uncontrollably.

Brun 10 January 2016 02:37 AM

:Suspiciou

Zuber 10 January 2016 04:56 PM

Op are you for real,,,this April the first already??? :hjtwofing :cuckoo:

Anko Dragt 15 January 2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by raly-pete (Post 11780587)
It sounds like oil somehow got in to the turbo.. I've seen this several times before..this will make the engine pick up and take off uncontrollably.

Last time i checked this wasnt a diesel engine.:rolleyes: