ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   EU Referendum (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1035248-eu-referendum.html)

alcazar 03 May 2016 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11827990)
We'd better set aside a good proportion that 'saved' money on building processing centres for asylum seekers if we pull out

goodness knows whatll happen to the backlog the home office all ready has

Why would there be more?

hodgy0_2 03 May 2016 09:21 AM

isn't it the worry that the agreement we have with the French about processing asylum claims in Calais might not hold

dpb 03 May 2016 09:47 AM

As already noted , how often does france play be the rules

alcazar 03 May 2016 11:56 AM

The French minister who started that scare story got censured, they said they have NO intention of going back on that, no matter what.

madscoob 03 May 2016 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11828033)
Yes an interesting article

Especially this bit

Britain could choose to set up a separate regulatory regime but that would add expense and paperwork for companies that do business with the EU.
The EU would also not give up the right to impose penalties if it believed British firms were undercutting European competitors because of government subsidies or lower regulatory standards.

In practice, this would mean that if Britain gave state aid to an industry that exported to Europe it would face punitive tariffs.

britain already gives state aid to every employer in the country that pays min wage to people with children, it's called CHILDRENS TAX CREDIT

hodgy0_2 03 May 2016 01:52 PM

true

so maybe the EU would see that as an unfair advantage - the ability of UK employers paying minimum wages due to the Tax Credit subsidy

and raise tariffs accordingly

why should German / French et al firms trade at a disadvantage with us

madscoob 03 May 2016 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11828458)
true

so maybe the EU would see that as an unfair advantage - the ability of UK employers paying minimum wages due to the Tax Credit subsidy

and raise tariffs accordingly

why should German / French et al firms trade at a disadvantage with us

they don't do they, cheeper fuel cheeper electric/gas, a farmer customer was telling me a while back, he can't compete with french/belgium potato farmers, as the are lorried over here (no tolls) the driver/firm then does several collections/deliveries in the uk,making the farmers delivery of spuds almost free,as the mileage for the foreign lorry is miniscule as they hold more fuel than uk trucks and often have the cab heater tanks plumbed into the engine as well
just so people who say winging farmers again know.
the small salad potatoes you buy on a wrapped tray work out at almost £1300 a tonne in the supermarkets,
the farmer is lucky to see £85quid of that

alcazar 03 May 2016 06:38 PM

Operative word, hodgy: maybe.

dpb 03 May 2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 11828560)
they don't do they, cheeper fuel cheeper electric/gas, a farmer customer was telling me a while back, he can't compete with french/belgium potato farmers, as the are lorried over here (no tolls) the driver/firm then does several collections/deliveries in the uk,making the farmers delivery of spuds almost free,as the mileage for the foreign lorry is miniscule as they hold more fuel than uk trucks and often have the cab heater tanks plumbed into the engine as well
the small salad potatoes you buy on a wrapped tray work out at almost £1300 a tonne in the supermarkets,

I don't quite understand any that

are basically saying your farmer mate cant compete with Belgium one cos theres no road tolls this side ...

and belgiums syphoning red diesel for his cab heater ??

hodgy0_2 03 May 2016 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11828574)
Operative word, hodgy: maybe.

Sure, but they would be pretty stupid not to bring it up in any trade negotiations

hodgy0_2 03 May 2016 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 11828560)

So is the argument we have tolls like they do on the continent?

I just blew 160 in tolls in Europe on one trip - so they ain't cheap

But you do get smooth empty roads - which is appealing

andy97 03 May 2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11828590)

The French refuse to pay tolls, that is why they're empty. Just try the A/B roads which are free, they chocked with trucks and locals driving

dpb 03 May 2016 07:19 PM

I don't see how mr belgium manages to avoid his truck tolls

...and if he can then why cant uk guy

madscoob 03 May 2016 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11828600)
I don't see how mr belgium manages to avoid his truck tolls

...and if he can then why cant uk guy

see above your last post, they don't use the toll roads, just like we don't, and the frogs just refuse to pay,
the delivery of spuds is almost a sideline, as they do multi drops and collections over here then take a full load back,they fill up with fuel over there and are allowed to hold loads more fuel than uk trucks are, thats why they hardly ever buy fuel in the uk, so we don't get any fuel tax from them, is all this honestly that hard to grasp, try asking your local tyre depot how many romainian lorry drivers call in and ask to buy for cash tyres that are men't to go back for retreading not just recut,

ALi-B 04 May 2016 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11828590)

A better way for the uk would be a road vignette for foreign Vehicles to use our roads. Purchased online or combined with ferry/tunnel tickets. Imposed at the ferry/tunnel terminals.

No vignette or its expired: Fine only payable on the spot otherwise clamped and impounded.

hodgy0_2 04 May 2016 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11829071)
A better way for the uk would be a road vignette for foreign Vehicles to use our roads. Purchased online or combined with ferry/tunnel tickets. Imposed at the ferry/tunnel terminals.

No vignette or its expired: Fine only payable on the spot otherwise clamped and impounded.

Would that be with us in or out though

Presumably whilst "in" - we could not discriminate I.e the rule would apply to all HGV's, not just the ones from the mainland - I think that is a central principle of the EU

And if we are "out", then we could do it - but would be open to tit for tat charges by the EU

ALi-B 05 May 2016 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11829101)
Would that be with us in or out though

Presumably whilst "in" - we could not discriminate I.e the rule would apply to all HGV's, not just the ones from the mainland - I think that is a central principle of the EU

And if we are "out", then we could do it - but would be open to tit for tat charges by the EU

I don't really know. Is it legislated? The French used to have it as did some other eastern block countries.

Technically our current road tax system is a form of vignette. But only applies to indigenous vehicles. I suppose we could argue that to be indiscriminate it has to apply to all vehicles that are used in the UK so I reckon with some minor rewording of our current road tax system it could be made to include foreign vehicles on a visitor permit. So based on that I guess we could do this whilst staying in the EU.

hodgy0_2 05 May 2016 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11829239)
Technically our current road tax system is a form of vignette. But only applies to indigenous vehicles. I suppose we could argue that to be indiscriminate it has to apply to all vehicles that are used in the UK so I reckon with some minor rewording of our current road tax system it could be made to include foreign vehicles on a visitor permit. So based on that I guess we could do this whilst staying in the EU.

yes interesting

and if it could be done it would be great

I think Belgium have introduced a satellite based system into HGV - which presumably targets ALL HGV's regardless of origin

jonc 05 May 2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11829239)
I don't really know. Is it legislated? The French used to have it as did some other eastern block countries.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...for-first-time

hodgy0_2 05 May 2016 12:01 PM

v interesting

"The levy affects all HGVs of 12 tonnes or more that drive on UK roads, irrespective of country of registration.

The levy is structured in a series of bands which reflect vehicle type, weight and number of axles. UK operators will pay the levy at the same time as VED in one transaction for administrative ease. At the same time as introducing the levy, the government is reducing VED, such that more than 9 out of 10 UK vehicles will pay no more than now."

so sounds like it is already in place

DYK 07 May 2016 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11829242)
yes interesting

and if it could be done it would be great

I think Belgium have introduced a satellite based system into HGV - which presumably targets ALL HGV's regardless of origin

Spot on,came into force about one month ago,its a digital box you mount on the window screen,and commercial vans are now having to pay.Was a big protest near charleroi vans blockading the roads.

ALi-B 09 May 2016 07:43 AM

The in camp are getting desperate with their scare stories...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36243296

Can I be the first to say here that leaving the EU won't start WWIII

Who's to say we can't be like the Swiss and shirk off any war involvement like they've done since the 1800s touting their neutrality as a reason not to get involved in anything.

I've been fairly neutral on this subject but when I read utter b*ll*cks like this, I feel like voting out just in pure spite at those who publish this tosh.

dpb 09 May 2016 07:44 AM

Thought wed had everything pulled out the bag , but no

Brexit could mean we'll be at war with rest of EU ..!!

weve got WEEKS before the vote - how are they going to fill

alcazar 09 May 2016 09:29 AM

What a bunch of lying cnuts they are:mad;

neil-h 09 May 2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11830684)
The in camp are getting desperate with their scare stories...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36243296

Can I be the first to say here that leaving the EU won't start WWIII

Who's to say we can't be like the Swiss and shirk off any war involvement like they've done since the 1800s touting their neutrality as a reason not to get involved in anything.

I've been fairly neutral on this subject but when I read utter b*ll*cks like this, I feel like voting out just in pure spite at those who publish this tosh.

Agreed, what a load of utter bollocks (and that's from a probable in voter).

Tbh I knew this was going to happen at some point, the whole debate would boil down to speculation and false truths. Then when it comes to the day there will be a vast number of people casting votes on something that they have no clue about the consequences of.

warrenm2 09 May 2016 11:08 AM

I was on the streets on Sat drumming up support for the Leave campaign, and this sort of thing really does annoy people. Almost universally, they thought that Obamas intervention was unwelcome (and thats the polite version). I see this falling into the same category, as demonstrated here. When the claims get this ridiculous, the average not sure voter thinks "fvck that, Im voting out".

EDIT: And also lets remember, 3 months ago, Cameron was telling us that if he didn't get the reforms he wanted, he would lead the OUT campaign. Now that same out campaign is going to lead to war. No one who previously took him seriously will do so now

neil-h 09 May 2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11830758)
I was on the streets on Sat drumming up support for the Leave campaign, and this sort of thing really does annoy people. Almost universally, they thought that Obamas intervention was unwelcome (and thats the polite version). I see this falling into the same category, as demonstrated here. When the claims get this ridiculous, the average not sure voter thinks "fvck that, Im voting out".

Don't see why, he's the current leader of one of the largest and most powerful economies in the world. Why shouldn't he voice an opinion on the matter?

warrenm2 09 May 2016 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11830761)
Don't see why, he's the current leader of one of the largest and most powerful economies in the world. Why shouldn't he voice an opinion on the matter?

Ah, a cognitive dissonance moment! The thing is other people don't think like you

Its because everyone felt it was inappropriate of him to comment like that. The PM is not wading into the Presidential elections, not making veiled threats about getting to the back of the queue. Did Obama wade into the general election? This is a matter of a nation exercising its democracy to choose its future. ITS NONE OF ANYBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS! How dare foreigners interfere in a nations democratic process like that. Its not acceptable

dpb 09 May 2016 11:40 AM

That geezer who had spend 30k on an extra label for his smoked fish , to warn people it contained fish , was quite bizarre

just incase youd wondered onto the scene fork in hand expecting roast leg of lamb :freak3:

Martin2005 09 May 2016 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11830771)
Ah, a cognitive dissonance moment! The thing is other people don't think like you

Its because everyone felt it was inappropriate of him to comment like that. The PM is not wading into the Presidential elections, not making veiled threats about getting to the back of the queue. Did Obama wade into the general election? This is a matter of a nation exercising its democracy to choose its future. ITS NONE OF ANYBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS! How dare foreigners interfere in a nations democratic process like that. Its not acceptable

'everyone'??

Maybe he should of waited until after we voted to leave before telling us we'd have to wait for a trade agreement; then people would of complained that they wish he'd said something before they voted.

The real reason the 'outers' hated Obama's intervention is because they fear it, and have therefore gone to extraordinary lengths to rubbish it.