ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Battlefield 2 players... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/460655-battlefield-2-players.html)

GrahamG 16 January 2006 05:00 PM

you can keep standard name. you would have to set up another user to get that. unless you set it as "team"

G.

Neanderthal 16 January 2006 06:32 PM

Your standard names will work :D

DrEvil 16 January 2006 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Do I need to change my user name to be able to log into the server (put a SNAFu in front of it), or can I just go in as my standard name (i.e. Gutgouger)?

You leave it as is initially - play on the SNAFU server for a bit.
And if you are interested in joining the clan and challenging other clans, and playing regularly - then express interest on the clan site :)

jameswrx 16 January 2006 08:23 PM

arse!

I'm sick of this game crashing my pc all the time when I try and go into the menu (in game)

Hope you lads are having fun :)............... I'm not :(

GrahamG 16 January 2006 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jameswrx
arse!

I'm sick of this game crashing my pc all the time when I try and go into the menu (in game)

Hope you lads are having fun :)............... I'm not :(

How much Ram you got? mine run's fine on 4 gig ;) Helps when you work for the second biggest semiconductor in the world! :D

1gig run's the game really well though. go in and out of other programs etc...

DemonDave 17 January 2006 02:17 AM

It's an Amd X2 4800+

ahhh theres your prob - there is a known prob

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=60070&st=245

I have the hotfix and the reg patch to make it work - let me know.

Dave.

Iain Young 17 January 2006 09:16 AM

Thanks Dave. I think I have the fix applied already, but I'll double check...

Tried again last night and didn't have any problems connecting to a game, and again managed a couple of hours of error free gaming.

It was very frustrating though. I kept getting put on teams full of loads of people only interested in flying planes / helicopters and they kept letting all the checkpoints get overrun. Also, the enemy side kept camping at all the spawn points so you never even got a chance to do anything :(

Is this the norm?

GrahamG 17 January 2006 09:32 AM

Tried again last night and didn't have any problems connecting to a game, and again managed a couple of hours of error free gaming.

It was very frustrating though. I kept getting put on teams full of loads of people only interested in flying planes / helicopters and they kept letting all the checkpoints get overrun. Also, the enemy side kept camping at all the spawn points so you never even got a chance to do anything :(

Is this the norm?

Not normally, although it happens. i just normally leave that server and join another. i know what you mean, it can be very frustrating when people are not playing the game. Just interested in getting badges etc.

G.

Neanderthal 17 January 2006 10:14 AM

Don't get any of that on the SNAFU server ;) :D

DrEvil 17 January 2006 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Don't get any of that on the SNAFU server ;) :D

This is true, certianly the SNAFU members will squad up and usually follow orders/stick together in squad.

Tips:

primary - capture the bases + support your squad
secondary - kill anyone (on the other team!) that gets in the way
= more points :)

Squad up and stick with your squad leader (assuming he is giving orders and doing the above)

USE THE MAP top right of the screen - watch out for 'friendly' artillery - remember the commander can see more than you usually, so is probably doing it for a reason!

:)

Iain Young 17 January 2006 11:13 AM

Cool. Looking forward to playing against some worthy opponents :D

GrahamG 17 January 2006 11:16 AM

Same here. how many people will be online tonight? Line up! :D

GrahamG = incubusiyrix

:D:D

DrEvil 17 January 2006 11:35 AM

I should be... SNAFU_DrEvil .. around 9pm

Iain Young 17 January 2006 11:47 AM

Hopefully, I'll be there (Gutgouger)....

JackClark 17 January 2006 12:05 PM

Am I right in thinking that Mac users can join the fun?

JackClark 17 January 2006 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark

Ah, 1942 not version 2 to answer my own question!

DemonDave 17 January 2006 12:43 PM

Is this the norm?

thats how mine was - fine then crap - there is a registry setting you have to do manually otherwise it will not work and you also need the latest amd drivers for xp.

join a squad and spawn on the squad leader - that way should be able to avoid being shot :)

DemonDave 17 January 2006 12:45 PM

Yep - just buy a pc ;) :norty: :D

JackClark 17 January 2006 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DemonDave
Yep - just buy a pc ;) :norty: :D

It is a PC.

DrEvil 17 January 2006 01:40 PM

It is a PC.

He's got a point Dave...

Jack - is it simply not available for MAC yet?

JackClark 17 January 2006 01:48 PM

>Jack - is it simply not available for MAC yet?

Not as far as I can see online. Something about the engine being different to 1942 and the developer not wanting to do the work. Perhaps the new Intel chips will help things along. Bloody shame as I was looking forward to having a machine capable of joining in.

DrEvil 17 January 2006 01:55 PM

>Jack - is it simply not available for MAC yet?

Not as far as I can see online. Something about the engine being different to 1942 and the developer not wanting to do the work. Perhaps the new Intel chips will help things along. Bloody shame as I was looking forward to having a machine capable of joining in.

That is a pity :(

Don't fancy building a WinXP shuttle system then? Wouldn't take up much room, and if spec'd right, will play BF2 :D

JackClark 17 January 2006 03:14 PM

>Don't fancy building a WinXP shuttle system then?

I did fancy one, then Jobs came out with a 20", good looking and speedy Intel Mac for less money. If I follow my usual PC purchace plan I may consider a shuttle next decade.

drjsd 17 January 2006 07:17 PM

What a pita. Had to reinstall WinXP numerous times over the weekend, kept getting page faults and the like and couldn't install BF2 when I did get into Windows. Kept getting repeated "MD5Error" messages and EA said it was new to them?

However a search on Google suggests it's not new to the rest of the world, so God knows what EA are on about.

Now have taken out my 2gig Ballistix and replaced it with... 512MB:cry: :cry:

All now working fine and BF2 installed, will put the Ballistix back in and see what happens...fingers crossed I'll see you tonight

DrEvil 18 January 2006 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by drjsd
What a pita. Had to reinstall WinXP numerous times over the weekend, kept getting page faults and the like and couldn't install BF2 when I did get into Windows. Kept getting repeated "MD5Error" messages and EA said it was new to them?

However a search on Google suggests it's not new to the rest of the world, so God knows what EA are on about.

Now have taken out my 2gig Ballistix and replaced it with... 512MB:cry: :cry:

All now working fine and BF2 installed, will put the Ballistix back in and see what happens...fingers crossed I'll see you tonight

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about this - it likely it is one of two things:

1) duff batch of ballistix
2) memory timings are wrong in the bios

:(

--

Separate note - good games tonight. I need to slap a couple of clans members for not being proper squad leaders (no one from here) ;)

Anyhow, BF2 SF on Thursday if you can make it. :)

Iain Young 18 January 2006 12:27 AM

Very good game tonight :D I did get disconnected once, but I think that was a blip in the broadband rather than anything wrong with my pc. I applied the registry patch, and set bf2 running on a single core of the processor, and it seemed a lot more stable...

I'll do my best to make it Thursday as well (this could turn out to be a regular thing ;))

drjsd 18 January 2006 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by DrEvil
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about this - it likely it is one of two things:

1) duff batch of ballistix
2) memory timings are wrong in the bios

:(

--

Separate note - good games tonight. I need to slap a couple of clans members for not being proper squad leaders (no one from here) ;)

Anyhow, BF2 SF on Thursday if you can make it. :)

Irony is I had thought about overclocking the board, after everyone on Scoobynet raved about it so much, but his happened before I could do it! Haven't actually touched the timings... Will have to give Crucial a bell and see what they say.

And yeah, some very good games tonight, managed to rack up some good scores. Doesn't half make a difference to your score though when you get some teamwork points. Quite a few games I had (almost ;) ) top kills but suffered because of the teamwork side. A lesson there I think!

RichiW 18 January 2006 07:04 AM

Yup - good games, managed quite a few 'strategic kills' which i like as its soooo annoying as a Commander to have no artillery, radar etc. :D

Nordsch1eife out.

Neanderthal 18 January 2006 08:41 AM

Grrr YOU'RE Nordsch1eife !!!
Pain in the backside to me you were! I think every other time I was murdered whilst doing heroic things it was you! ;)

Enjoyed it greatly last night, forgotten what I'd been missing!
Although our side suffered badly early on thru lack of commander issuing orders :(

Iain Young 18 January 2006 10:00 AM

One thing I haven't been able to work out is how to issue communications. I can use the j kand k keys to type into the console, but how do you issue the present warnings like "enemy armour spotted" etc. Doesn't seem to mention it in the manual at all...