ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   what tyres?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/989755-what-tyres.html)

ALi-B 11 November 2013 07:54 PM

They would be Ecstas of some form (noted a few different variations). What happened in my case was that I test drove the car before I bought it in the pissing rain, it had Michelins on all round. I picked it up a week later after doing the deal, and initially didn't notice anything until I did a spirited drive in the wet and found it understeered and have trouble with traction from the front end, something I didn't encounter on the test drive in the same conditions.

Then after washing the car the penny dropped...the tyres had been swapped. I don't know why as it definitely had Michelins on when I viewed it as I make a point of checking the tyres to make sure there aren't any Nankangs on there. I thought I was losing the plot until I enlarged a picture of the car that was still on the dealer's website and it clearly had Michleins fitted on all four corners (looked like plenty of tread too).

I went back to the dealers, complained about the handling, pointing out the budget tyres now fitted and that it originally had Michelins on. They swapped the tyres no questions asked, I went home happy. A good hammering on the wet back roads confirmed that handling/traction was restored back to how it was before I purchased it.

Worlasshasansti 11 November 2013 09:24 PM

:eek:

Not what you want on the front of your motor in the wet then lol, I had a similar experience years ago when I bought a vectra gsi from a car auction, tried to drive round a roundabout and had to take the exit before where I wanted to be :lol1: checked the tyres and it had 2 x wanli tyres on the front, I can only assume they were made from plastic.

Mick

BoozyDave 11 November 2013 09:49 PM

i've had toyo T1R's fitted and they were ok in the dry, but poor when it was damp. i replaced them with vred sessantas, the difference was night and day, even in a foot of snow they were great

now i've got RE050's, they are good in the dry, but don't inspire confidence in the wet

probably go for the F2 asym's next

Norman Dog 12 November 2013 08:18 PM

Vredesteins for me too, very impressed. :thumb:

Very good price too.

Norman Dog 12 November 2013 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti (Post 11261678)
:eek:

Not what you want on the front of your motor in the wet then lol, I had a similar experience years ago when I bought a vectra gsi from a car auction, tried to drive round a roundabout and had to take the exit before where I wanted to be :lol1: checked the tyres and it had 2 x wanli tyres on the front, I can only assume they were made from plastic.

Mick

I had a set of those on my old Vectra 150, scary stuff. :eek:
Didn't know that much about tyres at the time, dealer who sold me then said they were Pirelli's budget brand. :lol1:

thenewgalaxy 12 November 2013 09:14 PM

Very surprised noone's recommended Toyo Proxes T1 Sports.

Had a set on my Blobeye STi and they were fantastic!