ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   WRX Blobeye Long Build - Fast Road Project (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/987584-wrx-blobeye-long-build-fast-road-project.html)

johnnybon 13 October 2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 11235083)
So what about the manifold? Would mine be okay or would I need to get an STi manifold?

If I was you I would get RCM headers and maybe a s202 turbo or gt 30 billet with RCM rotated kit billet rails parrell fuel lines Walbro 255 or 340lph fuel pump that's if 500hp is what you are after 6speed and twin plate clutch there's a shopping list for ya :thumb:

johnnybon 13 October 2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11235126)
As i said to you above, an open deck block is plenty man enough for 500+hp, i run it at 485hp daily, and 535hp when i put the meth in.

Has been like over 500hp for 4 years and over 20k miles.

I would stress yet again, the art is in the set up. 450-500 is too fast in a road going car to use effectively. the thing is in the figures it is willy waving.

You would be way better off spending the enormous amount of cash on the chassis and set up of the right handling parts and the stopping power.

I really cannot stress enough the fact that in a well set up, properly sorted chassis arrangement that 450hp is just not useable on the road. EVER

I agree with the. Set up when the guy owned my track car it ran about 350ish and weighed in at 1050kg fuelled up and driver in car on the grid if you look on YouTube Stratton at brands hatch see how that goes and passes everyone so you don't really need 500hp :thumb:

But it's nice to have though:norty:

RCS2810 13 October 2013 09:49 PM

No but surely thats why they call it a project? I was happy with 300bhp but I want more. Its nice to have and take on a track. Like I said it wont be my daily car so I can't see the harm in having a project that will become a toy when it's all done (potentially it could take years but as I said I'm in no rush). Something worth keeping.

RCS2810 13 October 2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnnybon (Post 11235148)
I agree with the. Set up when the guy owned my track car it ran about 350ish and weighed in at 1050kg fuelled up and driver in car on the grid if you look on YouTube Stratton at brands hatch see how that goes and passes everyone so you don't really need 500hp :thumb:

But it's nice to have though:norty:

So imagine what it would be like with 500bhp?

johnnybon 13 October 2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 11235164)
So imagine what it would be like with 500bhp?

Ill let you no next year :norty:

RoyPinhey 13 October 2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11235126)
As i said to you above, an open deck block is plenty man enough for 500+hp, i run it at 485hp daily, and 535hp when i put the meth in.

Has been like over 500hp for 4 years and over 20k miles.

I would stress yet again, the art is in the set up. 450-500 is too fast in a road going car to use effectively. the thing is in the figures it is willy waving.

You would be way better off spending the enormous amount of cash on the chassis and set up of the right handling parts and the stopping power.

I really cannot stress enough the fact that in a well set up, properly sorted chassis arrangement that 450hp is just not useable on the road. EVER

Imthought about massive power in my type r (probably will still happen) butwith a simple decat, filter amd map tweak I will see 350bhp plus . . Standard 0-60 is around 4.5 so finding a little extra mid range is a better route for me . . Dont get drawn into a willy waving power fight :freak3:

RCS2810 13 October 2013 10:04 PM

Well its something I'm still doing. Just like your doing with yours Johnny.

johnnybon 13 October 2013 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a ET cosworth only 2.0 though forged CDB engine with polished and ported heads and 272 piper cams and this

Attachment 69608

Syvec ecu do you think it will have the numbers? :confused:

RCS2810 13 October 2013 10:25 PM

What do you think my complete engine would sell for? Runs perfectly, 50,000miles.

johnnybon 13 October 2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 11235228)
What do you think my complete engine would sell for? Runs perfectly, 50,000miles.

Mmm not 100% sure but about 700-1100 depends on what you can let go with it I have a very low mileage jdm v4 STI engine I want £750 as long engine so you should get that if not more :thumb:

RCS2810 13 October 2013 10:52 PM

So to be honest it may be worth me selling my engine for £1000, buy a knocking one for £300 then got £700 from that to play with?

the shreksta 14 October 2013 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 11235266)
So to be honest it may be worth me selling my engine for £1000, buy a knocking one for £300 then got £700 from that to play with?

sti 8 engines are around 1000-1200 you wont get anywhere near that for a wrx lump.i would be surprised if you got 600 for it to be honest

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 09:21 AM

Why RCM headers?

They are ****e in a simple word.

Crack easily, restrict power and give rubbish response/spool up. The english way of tuning scoobys is so wrong it is untrue. Everyone wants to keep the sound of the "scooby", equal length headers give better response, better spool and more power.

The original GT Spec design was rubbish and based on old designs, times move forwards and so does design etc. now something alot better is available yet people still put up with sub standard rubbish

johnnybon 14 October 2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11235411)
Why RCM headers?

They are ****e in a simple word.

Crack easily, restrict power and give rubbish response/spool up. The english way of tuning scoobys is so wrong it is untrue. Everyone wants to keep the sound of the "scooby", equal length headers give better response, better spool and more power.

The original GT Spec design was rubbish and based on old designs, times move forwards and so does design etc. now something alot better is available yet people still put up with sub standard rubbish

Ok so what's the alternative then I'm always opened eared to someone that no more/better that's how we learn :thumb:

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 04:59 PM

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/Header.htm

That is all there is to say, Titanium Steel, lifetime warranty.

Car is like night and day, had gtspec/rcm/japspeed headers on on its original map 4yrs/20k miles ago, and made 450 on low boost and 517 on meth drag map.

4 years of hard abuse later we were aiming to bring it back to around those figures no one expected it to do better let alone get close to the original figures, it pulled 485hp on normal map and 532 on the meth map.

304 stainless cannot handle the heat of a turbo car and falls apart, the RCM/GT spec design isnt the best.

It isnt about "flowing more" its all about the velocity and heat energy that reaches the turbo. These are specifically designed with response and spool in mind, and it really does show. My power was dropping off by 6k on the other headers, on these it is still rising at rev limit...

The difference between driving mine on the GT spec/RCM/Japspeed and the Killer B unit, really is night and day, the pick up and response is completely unreal now. Martyn J was gobsmacked by how it drives now, he could not believe the difference in the way it picks up and drives now. (He has driven my car alot including racing it)

The pick up is instant now, no messing around it is just brutally fast now, noticeably more so than on the previous headers.

RCS2810 14 October 2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11235782)
http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/Header.htm

That is all there is to say, Titanium Steel, lifetime warranty.

Car is like night and day, had gtspec/rcm/japspeed headers on on its original map 4yrs/20k miles ago, and made 450 on low boost and 517 on meth drag map.

4 years of hard abuse later we were aiming to bring it back to around those figures no one expected it to do better let alone get close to the original figures, it pulled 485hp on normal map and 532 on the meth map.

304 stainless cannot handle the heat of a turbo car and falls apart, the RCM/GT spec design isnt the best.

It isnt about "flowing more" its all about the velocity and heat energy that reaches the turbo. These are specifically designed with response and spool in mind, and it really does show. My power was dropping off by 6k on the other headers, on these it is still rising at rev limit...

The difference between driving mine on the GT spec/RCM/Japspeed and the Killer B unit, really is night and day, the pick up and response is completely unreal now. Martyn J was gobsmacked by how it drives now, he could not believe the difference in the way it picks up and drives now. (He has driven my car alot including racing it)

The pick up is instant now, no messing around it is just brutally fast now, noticeably more so than on the previous headers.

Do you get a commission? :wonder:

Only joking, sounds like a good bit of information there and sounds good. So your 500bhp is a daily drive?

Tidgy 14 October 2013 05:27 PM

450+ is a bit of a vague target and also on the kusp of enging block selection in my view. if your going 450-460 the 2.5 is def the way to go, 500+ then 2.35 cdb.

at 450-460 a 2.5 on the road will be emense and nigh on 500ftlb

RCS2810 14 October 2013 05:37 PM

Whats the cost of a 2.35 stroker then? I saw the 2.1 from the US for about £800.

How would I achieve 450-460 out of a 2.5?

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 11235818)
Do you get a commission? :wonder:

Only joking, sounds like a good bit of information there and sounds good. So your 500bhp is a daily drive?

Haha, I wish I did. I just like pushing the boundaries and doing it differently. No point sticking with the crowd!

And I was so impressed by the results it really is hard not to get excited about it, anyone is welcome to come out for a spin in the car and see for themselves!

It isnt at the minute as I just dont have time with work etc, but it has always been used lots, it is my only car, I have a work van but do over 2k miles a week in the van so would rather use the car!

So I drive it at any chance i can, and i always drive it to the drag and track days and drive it home after a hard days racing :)

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 11235831)
Whats the cost of a 2.35 stroker then? I saw the 2.1 from the US for about £800.

How would I achieve 450-460 out of a 2.5?

Mega money

out of a 2.5? SC46 billet and a pinned/forged 2.5, would be a way better drive on the road with all that torque, i run a 2.1 and it is also very very good, but if it was exclusievly for road id go 2.5

RCS2810 14 October 2013 05:44 PM

So what torque are you producing on your 2.1? May look at going down the 2.5 route then...

What I need to do to forge/pin a 2.5?

Also where abouts are you?

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 05:48 PM

Im in plymouth myself. Will be heading up to shakespeare and keevil etc next year for track days.

Looking at the RR graph it is about 500 ft/lb

the shreksta 14 October 2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11235846)
Im in plymouth myself. Will be heading up to shakespeare and keevil etc next year for track days.

Looking at the RR graph it is about 500 ft/lb

basically enough to spin the earth then..........

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 05:56 PM

Yes, and all this is on standard v3 wrx heads. If i dropped in some lairy cams and some valve springs etc then I would see more :) The torque drops off sharply because I am outside the spec of the cams, just just cannot flow any more air through them see the graph - https://www.scoobynet.com/952187-my-...c-scoob-2.html

Got a set of heads I am converting to shimless buckets and what not so I can add another 1.5k revs to it.

the shreksta 14 October 2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11235855)
Yes, and all this is on standard v3 wrx heads. If i dropped in some lairy cams and some valve springs etc then I would see more :) The torque drops off sharply because I am outside the spec of the cams, just just cannot flow any more air through them see the graph - https://www.scoobynet.com/952187-my-...c-scoob-2.html

Got a set of heads I am converting to shimless buckets and what not so I can add another 1.5k revs to it.

you not thought of going for avcs heads?

RCS2810 14 October 2013 06:00 PM

Shame your too far away from me :(.

From what I can make out it will be cheaper to do a 2.1 perhaps on my ODB and achieve 450-500bhp and 500ft/lb.

My other option is a 2.35 or a 2.5 forged which sounds like it could cost quite a bit more money...?

JGlanzaV 14 October 2013 06:06 PM

2.5 wouldnt cost alot more if not less than a 2.1 stroke ri think...

Shreksta, Discuss it on my thread I dont want to clog up RCS' thread with too much about my build, just is always good to discuss it with people who have similar!

Honestly RCS mate, 500hp is a ballache, not only is it expensive to acheive, it is horrible to maintain too! in the last 3 months i have spent probably more than 4k on maintenance, Exhaust manifolds, rear brakes are shot so might aswell do the fronts too, rear coilovers have started leaking, gearbox will need rebuilding, and the turbo seals are on the way out, and then there is the remapping, alkatek upgrade, fitting of the ex manifolds...

It is a never ending circle...

BUT,

The smile it puts on your face when you do something like this makes all the hassle, effort and money all worth while,

tubbytommy 14 October 2013 06:11 PM

just fit a newage sti engine and an sc46 turbo or lateral md series one
job done, oh and you will need a 6 speed box as the 5 speed wont take it

im always amazed why people spunk loads of cash on a 2.1 stroker when they only want 450 bhp, the standard sti lump will take this all day long.

RCS2810 14 October 2013 06:14 PM

Yes I understand what a pain it'll be but because it's not a daily if I cant afford to replace something it can wait till I save up.

Like I said, I can save up for something I want. My business is a summer business so in the summer I earn a good amount of money, during the winter I also earn a good wage.

the shreksta 14 October 2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11235878)
just fit a newage sti engine and an sc46 turbo or lateral md series one
job done, oh and you will need a 6 speed box as the 5 speed wont take it

im always amazed why people spunk loads of cash on a 2.1 stroker when they only want 450 bhp, the standard sti lump will take this all day long.

are you not considering a 2.1 tommy? what power do you want? ive just bought a 6 speed :D:D:D