ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Royal Mail share offer (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/985777-royal-mail-share-offer.html)

BLU 22 September 2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11215413)
Leaving all the usual accepted SN bollocks of 'private companies are always wonderful, state run outfits are always terrible/the unions are the spawn of the devil' behind the sole reason the RM provatisation will be a good investment is exactly as Ding posted earlier.... Internet shopping is only going to continue to expand and grab more and more of the market as the high street is going into terminal decline partly through shortsightedness and the councils being too stupid to work out that if you charrge astronomic business rates and stupidly high charges to park people will find another way... the net!

Precisely, why sell it off if its going to be hugely profitable? Surely, then, the profit can be split between keeping RM efficient, thousands of workers in a job and help reduce the countries deficit! Selling off RM will only provide short term gain. Keeping it will be much better for the country as a whole long term.

Chip 22 September 2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11215406)
I doubt it. I think you'll find that its the posties and lower managment who pass on their thoughts as to what will and won't work up to higher management who then take all the glory. Thats how businesses of all shapes and sizes work. Anyone who thinks otherwise is as naive as f*ck

Yeah, OK then.

BLU 22 September 2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11213495)
Anybody going to buy some?

Nope, to answer the OP's question!!

Chip 22 September 2013 12:53 PM

Terms and Conditions for Our People in Private Ownership The current position is that all terms and conditions that apply to Royal Mail employees would remain in place, on the same basis, were the company to be sold. To provide further reassurance, we will create a legally-binding and enforceable contract with the CWU. Pay and protections could not be changed for the period of the contract without CWU agreement. The Company will continue to have a predominantly full-time workforce on an overall national basis, as per our current agreements with the CWU. Our existing enhanced voluntary redundancy terms and excess travel terms have been extended for the life of the modernisation revisions. Our commitment to managing change without recourse to compulsory redundancy will remain in place. - See more at: http://www.royalmailgroup.com/royal-....TQ8tKf0W.dpuf

Chip 22 September 2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11215475)
Nope, to answer the OP's question!!

Why not?

BLU 22 September 2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 11215508)
Terms and Conditions for Our People in Private Ownership The current position is that all terms and conditions that apply to Royal Mail employees would remain in place, on the same basis, were the company to be sold. To provide further reassurance, we will create a legally-binding and enforceable contract with the CWU. Pay and protections could not be changed for the period of the contract without CWU agreement. The Company will continue to have a predominantly full-time workforce on an overall national basis, as per our current agreements with the CWU. Our existing enhanced voluntary redundancy terms and excess travel terms have been extended for the life of the modernisation revisions. Our commitment to managing change without recourse to compulsory redundancy will remain in place. - See more at: http://www.royalmailgroup.com/royal-....TQ8tKf0W.dpuf

As I said before its only a good thing for the short term, ^^^ thats a 3 year deal ^^^. After 3 years then look forward to posties being on part time contracts or zero/one hour contracts. The days of having a regular postman will then be gone. I also think the universal service will be under threat once privatised and the new owner realises how much the town/company deliveries subsidise the rural deliveries, then you can say goodbye to the one price fits all service we get now.
The government could make so much more money by looking after RM and keeping it in public hands.......

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 11215510)
Why not?

Because its a public owned business that should stay public imho......

Dingdongler 22 September 2013 04:27 PM

I've decided to buy some, must be worth a punt!

speedking 23 September 2013 01:40 PM

Irish currency not accepted.

If it does become successful then it can be renationalised like Railtrack :mad:

paulr 23 September 2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11213495)
Anybody going to buy some?

No. Letter delivery is a dying business. Packets and parcels, they have competition.

paulr 23 September 2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11215687)
As I said before its only a good thing for the short term, ^^^ thats a 3 year deal ^^^. After 3 years then look forward to posties being on part time contracts or zero/one hour contracts. The days of having a regular postman will then be gone. I also think the universal service will be under threat once privatised and the new owner realises how much the town/company deliveries subsidise the rural deliveries, then you can say goodbye to the one price fits all service we get now.
The government could make so much more money by looking after RM and keeping it in public hands.......

Because its a public owned business that should stay public imho......

There was an independant postal expert the other day saying in 10 years, we will have 3 day a week delivery. Letters are down 7% a year. He wouldn't buy any shares.

BLU 23 September 2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 11216619)
There was an independant postal expert the other day saying in 10 years, we will have 3 day a week delivery. Letters are down 7% a year. He wouldn't buy any shares.

They said something similar in the late 90's when e-mail started to really take off, it proved to be bollox then too.

Scooby Soon! 23 September 2013 04:34 PM

spoke to our royal mail collections guy, "not a chance!" he said of him buying any

They need such an overhaul I just can't see it working,

Chip 23 September 2013 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 11216656)
spoke to our royal mail collections guy, "not a chance!" he said of him buying any

Of course, those collections guys are always at the cutting edge of the finance world.:wonder:

Dingdongler 23 September 2013 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 11216744)
Of course, those collections guys are always at the cutting edge of the finance world.:wonder:

:lol1:

Scooby Soon! 23 September 2013 08:37 PM

I think people working at the company will have a better idea than a pseudo scoobynet investor, I deal with royal mail everyday and they are massively disorganised and waste is immense, there costs could be cut by a massive percentage I would hazard a guess they could easily make double digit cost saving but they are going to have to fight against the workers to do this. You have to realise that there are people working at RM who will deliberately sabotage when it is privatised...

Dingdongler 23 September 2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 11216951)
I think people working at the company will have a better idea than a pseudo scoobynet investor, I deal with royal mail everyday and they are massively disorganised and waste is immense, there costs could be cut by a massive percentage I would hazard a guess they could easily make double digit cost saving but they are going to have to fight against the workers to do this. You have to realise that there are people working at RM who will deliberately sabotage when it is privatised...

Thanks, I'm going to double the number of shares I was proposing to buy:thumb:

BLU 23 September 2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 11216951)

What part of RM do you deal with?
Just wondering as you seem to think there are massive savings to be had, despite the company going through an ongoing and fairly major modernisation programme.......

BLU 23 September 2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11216958)
Thanks, I'm going to double the number of shares I was proposing to buy:thumb:

Don't believe everything you read on the net ;)

Scooby Soon! 24 September 2013 12:14 AM

I am a business customer and deal with people at a main super hub, delivery office and general enquires at customer service, one thing I know they love to throw money away on is vehicles, they are always using hire vans yet have stacks of other vans in the yard not being used because they are the wrong size or broken, out postmen turned up in good own fiat pinto car today!

The parts that have been modernised that I know of have been done poorly and are not working correctly, talk to the foot soldiers at any company and you will find out what is going on, I would estimate it will take 10 to 20 years to make any decent changes the staff will not fall in to line!

Puff The Magic Wagon! 26 September 2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11215396)
Lower management and the posties have turned the company around despite most of the technology being outdated and unreliable! Perhaps if they stopped focusing on privatisation and started re-investing the profit made (by the staff) RM could continue to run as it is without being a burden on the taxpayer, simples!!

On the technology front they have hired 100s of IT people in the last 6 months or so - at all levels and capabilities - my inbox is full of adverts all the time. They know their IT is arcane and are investing (from their profits) to completely overhaul it. They are also actively looking for new opportunities in all areas that they can - I know as we are working with them on a new project.

I personally think that with their footprint, their fantastic brand name, their legal position in the UK, their entry into so many companies throughout the world, that if they do it right (and the current Board seem like they know what they're doing) then there is no reason that once released from government ownership and into private, that they will totally flourish. Its a credit to the whole company that they have turned around from loss-making to profit in the recent time.

Worthwhile buying some? Yeah, I think so.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 27 September 2013 12:38 PM

Ooh - going to be sold sooner rather than later it seems...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24294745

Daryl 27 September 2013 01:19 PM

Seems like they could be worth a punt, certainly in the short term anyway:

Postal economist David Stubbs told the BBC that the pricing of the shares was "low".

"Under some scenarios, this looks cheap. If the Royal Mail is able to keep its market share and to keep its industrial relations issues under control, then this pricing is low.

"It looks like the price reflects the government's desire for a quick sale."

Mr Stubbs added, however, that if there were continuing problems with its labour relations, and if competitors began to gain an advantage, the value would be less than the range given by the government on Friday.

Scooby Soon! 27 September 2013 05:45 PM

current profits are not realistic, certain tweaks were made over the past 12 months at royal mail to make a massive increase in profits but these small changes they made can not be done again, everything has been done to make the profits look good for this share offer, I could see what they were doing a mile off about 18 months ago. in the long term the value will probably go up but you only have to look at other delivery companies and may are having hard times even through they are busy.

speedking 07 October 2013 02:24 PM

Better get your applications in quickly. Privatisation sped up to pre-empt any strike action.

Dingdongler 07 October 2013 06:17 PM

My application is in, find out on the 11th if I get anything.:thumb:

stilover 07 October 2013 07:51 PM

Ordered mine today.

Thanks to Milliband my Utility shares are still down.

Dingdongler 07 October 2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 11229308)
Ordered mine today.

Thanks to Milliband my Utility shares are still down.

Worth a punt I think matey, let's see how we do:thumb:

speedking 11 October 2013 03:38 PM

:thumb:

stevebt 12 October 2013 06:20 PM

With the only option for us mere mortals to buy into Royal Mail at £750 it was obvious it would be the mates of the government that would be coining it in.

I used to laugh at the New Statesman program years ago and thought it was so far fetched but over the last few years with what has been made public I just think it seems more like a documentary instead of a comedy program

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...il-shares.html

tony de wonderful 15 October 2013 11:57 AM

A great deal for the institutions, now trading at 480 p, bought at 330 p IIRC? Plus one billion in London property to flog off and the taxpayer is lumbered with pensions liabilities.