ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   scooby dump valve? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/978149-scooby-dump-valve.html)

Aaron1978 22 June 2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11128089)
MODS !!!!

Can I - nah, I am going to - make a suggestion.

How about a sticky that says "NEW TO THE FORUM? - PLEASE READ THIS !!!!" and then explain that a lot of new members initially ask questions or for help. In that case use the search facility eg. if you have a question about Dump valves enter dump valve in the search box.

This will prevent the forum possibly being wrongly regarded as a bunch of Subaru supremacists rather than ordinary people who enjoy banter but who are also VERY well informed.

PS - do I have to put a naughty word in so that this post gets Mods' attention ?

You mean like this

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...lp-advice.html

And this

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...fectively.html

elliotward321 22 June 2013 11:22 AM

Lmaoooo

elliotward321 22 June 2013 11:23 AM

On a serious note please don't attack me as per the o.p do dump valves carry any advantage over standard NOT getting one before I also get attacked!! Can't stand them just wondered...

tubbytommy 22 June 2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by elliotward321 (Post 11128354)
On a serious note please don't attack me as per the o.p do dump valves carry any advantage over standard NOT getting one before I also get attacked!! Can't stand them just wondered...

get one they are great, in fact I will have one for sale shortly :thumb:

LuckyWelshchap 22 June 2013 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by AndyBaker (Post 11128221)
:lol1::lol1: you have got to be kidding me

I kid you not :).
I googled 'dump valve' and this ad was one of the early hits.

I'm staggered.

LuckyWelshchap 22 June 2013 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron1978 (Post 11128242)

Yep, that's the (top) one.

So, it's obviously not effective, despite the best will in the world.
Perhaps a word or two in the registration/welcome email might help ???

Eg. "If you are joining to initially seek help or advice please look at this sticky first: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/853505-please-read-before-posting-threads-requesting-help-advice.html "

LuckyWelshchap 22 June 2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron1978 (Post 11128242)

Originally Posted by elliotward321 (Post 11128352)
Lmaoooo

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11129024)
Yep, that's the (top) one.

So, it's obviously not effective, despite the best will in the world.
Perhaps a word or two in the registration/welcome email might help ???

Eg. "If you are joining to initially seek help or advice please look at this sticky first: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/853505-please-read-before-posting-threads-requesting-help-advice.html "

Equality can be attained in two ways - by being constructive and striving to bring all people up to a level or to be destructive and bring people down to your own.

Progress is only served by the former.
;)

bluenose172 23 June 2013 06:27 PM

I don't think this is the thread to post this, but.....in the interest of science I bought a genuine HKS DV from someone one here and fitted it to my car this afternoon. I can confirm that this particular dump valve did not present me with any idling problems, any fuel correction issues, any boost issues nor any richer fuel values read from my LC-1 when lifting off the throttle. All confirmed via datalogging. Driving around town normally doesn't produce any blow off noise either.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it on, I just wanted to confirm something for myself........

wrx scooby wrx 23 June 2013 08:44 PM

This poor guy is getting some right stick, lol

tubbytommy 23 June 2013 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 11129722)
I don't think this is the thread to post this, but.....in the interest of science I bought a genuine HKS DV from someone one here and fitted it to my car this afternoon. I can confirm that this particular dump valve did not present me with any idling problems, any fuel correction issues, any boost issues nor any richer fuel values read from my LC-1 when lifting off the throttle. All confirmed via datalogging. Driving around town normally doesn't produce any blow off noise either.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it on, I just wanted to confirm something for myself........

I have an ssqv3 that was running recirc, when I changed to a front mount it was briefly running vta as I didn't have the pipe to run it to the inlet and it didn't effect the running at all either just made an annoying noise.
running dv less now though. :thumb:

I think the issue is the cheaper dvs are not held close by vacuum like the hks and can leak.

either way I don't like the noise.

LuckyWelshchap 23 June 2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 11129722)

Possibly the most sensible post in this thread.

LuckyWelshchap 23 June 2013 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11130034)
I have an ssqv3 that was running recirc, when I changed to a front mount it was briefly running vta as I didn't have the pipe to run it to the inlet and it didn't effect the running at all either just made an annoying noise.
running dv less now though. :thumb:

I think the issue is the cheaper dvs are not held close by vacuum like the hks and can leak.

either way I don't like the noise.

Mmmm.........
Given that the art of effective communication is to convey a message to those who are 'not in the know', I class myself in that (latter) category.
I therefore am not ashamed to ask what that statement/post means ?

I'll even admit to 'only' having a Grade 1 'O' Level English Language and also having possessing a GCE 'Use of English' certificate.

For the likes of me, please can you enlighten us master?

tubbytommy 23 June 2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11130115)
Mmmm.........
Given that the art of effective communication is to convey a message to those who are 'not in the know', I class myself in that (latter) category.
I therefore am not ashamed to ask what that statement/post means ?

I'll even admit to 'only' having a Grade 1 'O' Level English Language and also having possessing a GCE 'Use of English' certificate.

For the likes of me, please can you enlighten us master?

if you are familiar with the standard set up of a Subaru dump valve in standard form you will see it has a pipe attached to the underneath.
this is where an oem one dumps the air, it recirculates it into the inlet hence the name recirc dump valve.
when you run a vta or vent to atmosphere dump valve you block off this pipe which may or may not cause running issues (not in my case). then the excess air dumps into the atmosphere creating the whoosh sound.
the dump valve on a standard impreza is mounted on the intercooler, obviously this is removed when fitting a front mounted intercooler so you have no location for a dump valve.
the solution to this is a fitting that fits in the pipe work of the front mount, but the location causes issues in attaching the recirculation pipe, so while I had a pipe made up my car was running a vta dump valve.
I have now converted to running dump valve less (dvless) which involves blocking of the dumpvalve fitting hole and inlet hole.

any closer to understanding?

LuckyWelshchap 24 June 2013 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11130120)
if you are familiar with the standard set up of a Subaru dump valve in standard form you will see it has a pipe attached to the underneath. I am not.
this is where an oem one dumps the air, it recirculates it into the inlet hence the name recirc dump valve.
when you run a vta or vent to atmosphere dump valve you block off this pipe which may or may not cause running issues (not in my case). then the excess air dumps into the atmosphere creating the whoosh sound.
Thank you - I now know that vta' means "vent to atmosphere".
the dump valve on a standard impreza is mounted on the intercooler, obviously this is removed when fitting a front mounted intercooler so you have no location for a dump valve.
Clearly that's the standard Impreza's TMIC (I'm learning the jargon).
the solution to this is a fitting that fits in the pipe work of the front mount, but the location causes issues in attaching the recirculation pipe, so while I had a pipe made up my car was running a vta dump valve.
It goes without saying that it fits, by virtue of being a 'fitting'.
I have now converted to running dump valve less (dvless) which involves blocking of the dumpvalve fitting hole and inlet hole.
Is this is in the original ('standard') now non-existent TMIC/pipework or the modified pipeword for the FMIC (I'm learning quickly) ?

any closer to understanding?

Yes. Subaru do dump valves.
But just like they do engines, everyone wants to improve on an already superb product.

Just like Iain Litchfield.

Is my understanding correct?

tubbytommy 24 June 2013 12:29 AM

Wow a clever cunt :sleep:

LuckyWelshchap 24 June 2013 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11130145)
Wow a clever cunt :sleep:

Oops.
That doesn't do you justice M8.

You know an awful lot about Subarus.
Add an appreciation for the needs of others who seek help from people such as yourself and you'd be respected for being far more than just a comedian.

And you wouldn't cast your line thinking that everything in the pond is a tiddler.

Alvinmonero 02 May 2014 04:26 PM

Shame on you lot caning the new guy , this sort of **** makes me want to leave , he asks a simple question . Answer him and move on or don't answer if you are such a clued up member . Scooch if you want one get one your car will not explode or die , it runs slightly different but with everyday driving you would get use to it , if you don't like it after all just take it off and put old one back on

Aaron1978 02 May 2014 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alvinmonero (Post 11418841)
Shame on you lot caning the new guy , this sort of **** makes me want to leave , he asks a simple question . Answer him and move on or don't answer if you are such a clued up member . Scooch if you want one get one your car will not explode or die , it runs slightly different but with everyday driving you would get use to it , if you don't like it after all just take it off and put old one back on

It took nearly a year for this thread to make you want to leave? ;) It's not that it's a simple question, it's one that has/is repeatedly asked. You've clearly found it by using the search function so well done you:D

This guy used the search function found all the repeated answers then asked again anyway:lol1:

alcazar 02 May 2014 05:48 PM

Holy thread revival, batman!

marco58 02 May 2014 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Aaron1978;11418856]It took nearly a year for this thread to make you want to leave? ;)
:lol1::lol1:

STI2.0_Bugeye_Black 02 May 2014 07:23 PM

Blow through setup + vta bov=eargasm, just sayin

**jay** 02 May 2014 09:20 PM

Lol dont know what i find more funny, the fact you must have been searching for dump valves or the fact you have bumped a near on year post back up, ooops