ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Aldi ,Liddl or Netto for basics? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/953871-aldi-liddl-or-netto-for-basics.html)

CrisPDuk 25 October 2012 01:38 AM

I shop at Aldi all the time, they're great for sandwich stuff and seasonal fruit :thumb:

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 10842265)
I gotta disagree with that aspect - Self Service Tills are a very backward step and i refuse to use them (along with several other people at B&Q yesterday).

It was crazy to see two employees trying to herd customers into the zombie-tills whilst the one customer-centric till had a queue. Even the most stupid T&M expert has got to see the flaw there!

"Technology" isn't always the future!

mb

Totally agree :thumb:

Those tills are saving the big supermarkets from having to employ sufficient staff :nono:

DARB 25 October 2012 04:12 AM

I once had to let one of the staff go because her car was parked in an Aldi car park!! It was her day off but still, she should have known better !!:mad:

;):lol1:

Oldun 25 October 2012 07:33 AM

I shop at Sellfridges

http://www.briangrimwood.com/blog/wp...9/IMG_2822.jpg

mgcvk 25 October 2012 08:01 AM

I don't think the shopping experience is horrible, I like it. It is like being in a supermarket on holiday. On holiday in Romania, but nevertheless....

jasey 25 October 2012 08:20 AM

Went to a Lidl first thing in the morning - big queue at he only "Open" till.

I say "Open" because the only employee in the place was away having a dump while we were all queueing waiting for her to finish.

I've not been back :D

Mind you the stuff was cheap ;)

Graz 25 October 2012 08:42 AM

Worth signing up to both Lidl and Aldi regular emails about what's on special offer for that week. Got a load of clothes for our 18 month old from Lidl the other week, cheap as. Bought other odd bits and pieces over time including the odd power tool which don't seem to bad.

dpb 25 October 2012 09:42 AM

Got Parkside drill other week, same factory as bosch

ChrisB 25 October 2012 10:42 AM

There's nothing wrong with a lot of the stuff Aldi sell, both food and non-food.

Home Bargains is also good for branded food items. Always seem to have a box of Yorkshire Tea Bags for around £1 (£2+ in Tesco) and recently they've had 1kg bags of Napolina Rigatoni Pasta for also around a quid (again over £2 in the big supermarkets).

Mind you, now we are out of recession I'll be upgrading to M&S :D

Lisawrx 25 October 2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 10842572)
There's nothing wrong with a lot of the stuff Aldi sell, both food and non-food.

Home Bargains is also good for branded food items. Always seem to have a box of Yorkshire Tea Bags for around £1 (£2+ in Tesco) and recently they've had 1kg bags of Napolina Rigatoni Pasta for also around a quid (again over £2 in the big supermarkets).

Mind you, now we are out of recession I'll be upgrading to M&S :D

Don't get me started on these types of shops selling Yorkshire Tea Bags. :mad:

Back on topic, I quite like going for a look around Aldi. We have one just up the road, so it's not out of the way and you can pick up some decent stuff/bargains. I don't get to Lidl much as there isn't one all that close by, but when I did go, I noticed their breads were very good. Again, some good bargains to be had.

mattstant 25 October 2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10842135)
I don't know, man. It's a very odd shop.

I hear that Mr. Aldi and Mr. LIDL are two German brothers. Someone told me that they don't get on, and they are out to fail each other. That could be the reason why they sell some very odd stuff that they buy from the wholesellers, and then blag it for cheap for their competitive sibling rivalry. One day, one of them will reduce to selling things for nothing; just to make the other one see his @rse. Then he will be on his own @rse. God help them.

Not true this is an urban myth reinforced by the fact there are actually two Aldis in germany (South and North) ran seperatley by the Aldi brothers and the various countries are shared out between the two firms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

pslewis 25 October 2012 12:19 PM

Self Service tills are great ..... stick a Barcode from a packet of POLO's onto a Leg of Lamb and you are in business!!! :thumb:

The Dogs B******s 25 October 2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10842652)
Self Service tills are great ..... stick a Barcode from a packet of POLO's onto a Leg of Lamb and you are in business!!! :thumb:

Wrong, wrong weight :thumb:

dpb 25 October 2012 12:33 PM

Barecodes sealed in plastic :rolleyes:

speedking 25 October 2012 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 10842658)

There is not a different barcode for every possible weight of a leg of lamb ;)

DYK 25 October 2012 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=DARB;10842427]I once had to let one of the staff go because her car was parked in an Aldi car park!! It was her day off but still, she should have known better !!:mad:

Cruel

Only ever been in to aldi to check out the drink, used to get okocim polish beer or something of that name, or was it netto.

pslewis 25 October 2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 10842658)

Not if you plop another bag of around the correct weight onto the plate with the Polo's :thumb:

Graz 25 October 2012 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10842703)
Not if you plop another bag of around the correct weight onto the plate with the Polo's :thumb:

Are you actually Antony Worrall Thompson? Certainly fits with the poison dwarf image :D

CEL 25 October 2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 10842042)
Like dried spaghetti, flour, sugar etc. Any thoughts.

Netto might not be the best for basics any longer, because the only remaining stores are in Denmark!

132 of the UK stores were converted to ASDA's in 2011 and the rest sold off!

Leslie 25 October 2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 10842042)
Like dried spaghetti, flour, sugar etc. Any thoughts.

You must be really penny pinching if you have to worry about which is the best place to buy those items!

Nothing wrong with Lidl's, don't know about Aldi since we don't have one around here.

Les

DARB 25 October 2012 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10842652)

Let me get his right, you are taking the barcode from a packet of polos and sticking it onto a leg of lamb :thumb: so far so good

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10842703)

Surely then when you scan the polo barcode that is now stuck onto the aforementioned leg of lamb the scanner thinks it is indeed a packet of polos, then in reality you are actually putting the leg of lamb onto the weighing plate and not the packet of polos, so why would you need to "plop another bag" on there too ? The leg of lamb will weigh more than the polos so surely you would need to make the lamb lighter to fool the scales :wonder: maybe tie a few dozen helium balloons to it :rolleyes:

I put it to you sir that not only have you never done anything even remotely like this you also have a limited grasp on reality :thumb:

The only other option is that maybe your first post was the wrong way around and you actually put a leg of lamb barcode onto a packet of polos so then you would indeed need to plop another bag on to add some weight to the now massively overpriced polos :cuckoo:

The Trooper 1815 25 October 2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 10842101)
Why do aldi sell wet/dry suits ?
Its like a surf shop selling cheese

Same reason Tesco sell's car oil, because they have a market!

Do we really need twenty types of tinned sweetcorn/beans/peas?

Limit the choice, multi package the product, cut out a distribution hub, go direct to the outlet, pallet it straight to shelf and pay the minimum wage.

= Cheap.

nizmo80 25 October 2012 07:59 PM

I like lidl for little bits and bobs
I buy my shaver blades from lidl they are actually ok
but do most of my shopping at morisons

when I came accross this thread I was chomping on a Lidl mixed berry yogurt LOL

boomer 25 October 2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by DARB (Post 10842872)
Re: PSL - Let me get his right, you are taking the barcode from a packet of polos and sticking it onto a leg of lamb :thumb: so far so good

Surely then when you scan the polo barcode that is now stuck onto the aforementioned leg of lamb the scanner thinks it is indeed a packet of polos, then in reality you are actually putting the leg of lamb onto the weighing plate and not the packet of polos, so why would you need to "plop another bag" on there too ? The leg of lamb will weigh more than the polos so surely you would need to make the lamb lighter to fool the scales :wonder: maybe tie a few dozen helium balloons to it :rolleyes:

I put it to you sir that not only have you never done anything even remotely like this you also have a limited grasp on reality :thumb:

The only other option is that maybe your first post was the wrong way around and you actually put a leg of lamb barcode onto a packet of polos so then you would indeed need to plop another bag on to add some weight to the now massively overpriced polos :cuckoo:

:thumb:

mb

hodgy0_2 25 October 2012 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by mattstant (Post 10842610)
Not true this is an urban myth reinforced by the fact there are actually two Aldis in germany (South and North) ran seperatley by the Aldi brothers and the various countries are shared out between the two firms.

it might also stem for the fact that Adidas and Puma were started by German brothers

Turbohot 26 October 2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mattstant (Post 10842610)

O' really?? :eek:

I wasn't serious about that story, you know. :D

ScoobySteve69 26 October 2012 08:22 PM

I don`t use either...I`m not a pikey :D I seriously wouldn`t be seen dead in any of them.

LeeMac 27 October 2012 02:10 AM

Go to all the supermarkets

Why the snobbery, its not as tho anyone knows where it comes from anyway
If you dont grow your own, it s all old wherever its from

Crabbies Mac in Aldi, nice

jasey 27 October 2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by LeeMac (Post 10844966)
Go to all the supermarkets

Why the snobbery, its not as tho anyone knows where it comes from anyway
If you dont grow your own, it s all old wherever its from

Crabbies Mac in Aldi, nice

The snobbery is more to do with the clientele rather than the products ;)