ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What's the worst job you've ever had to do? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/928149-whats-the-worst-job-youve-ever-had-to-do.html)

DYK 09 March 2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall (Post 10526016)
Worst job i ever had was about six months ago.
Mrs ex vauxhall's fat bastar* mate came round to ours for a shi*.
Blocked the bog with the biggest load of crap i have ever seen in my life, plus she was on the blob, so jam rag too just to top it off.

Could i fook get it to go down, had to remove the bog, take it outside and tip it upside down, :(

She's now barred from my house!

It could not of been that bad really come on,you actually had to take out the sh1tter. :lol1:

JackClark 09 March 2012 09:05 PM

I did a huge dump last year that left no water in the pan, I can believe the above.

ALi-B 09 March 2012 10:23 PM

I could believe it too. When I was in Turkey I went for five days without taking a dump. Felt ok, just by day five my bowels gave a massive gurgle and I "had" to go.

At the time I was sailing on a Gulet so had to use a marine toilet. I filled the thing up! And it took five minutes of pumping the flusher before it finally went down the hole. Half way through I was thinking this turd is going to block it up and how am I going to explain this to the captain. :o

JackClark 09 March 2012 11:07 PM

The bowl filled up with water after my turd, it went down just as it was about to spill over.

StiX 09 March 2012 11:17 PM

Packing aluminium tubes into cardboard boxes, you could see the aluminium in the air. Health & safety nightmare for about £2 something an hour about 25 years ago :(

mart360 09 March 2012 11:39 PM

Moving a body that had been dead for about 10 days :)

Maggots everywhere, and pools of putrified flesh everywhere.

or the slow baked one who had lain dead on underfloor heating for about a week!

And my hourly rate was £0.67 !!!

Mart

SRSport 09 March 2012 11:47 PM

Thats pretty hard to top.

Mine was more boring than anything else. In the summer holidays I got a job mixing paint, I cant tell you how dull that is day in day out but at 16 I was taking home what felt like a fortune so I didnt really care.

One perk was that I mixed an order from Alex Furgusons office at Manchester United so the his walls are adorned by the works of my hand.

Bubba po 09 March 2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10526657)
his walls are adorned by the works of my hand.

It's usually the curtains. :D

kingofturds 09 March 2012 11:50 PM

Working in the slaughter hall gut room sorting out the offal from the sh1t.

euan_r 10 March 2012 12:04 AM

mart360 thats proper nasty job. Ive burried decomposed carcasses by hand whilst it was still legal, so can only imagine with it being human.

puts other posters gripes into perspective.

moaning about lifting a non existance 25kg is nothing, try two hundred weight bags up steep non handrailed steps, us "youngsters" have it easy compared to work my grandad used to do day in day out.

Jamz3k 10 March 2012 07:23 AM

I had loads of crap jobs from cleaning carparks, standing in sewage trying to unblock toilet to even being sexually assaulted by a naked old man whilst delivering grociers to an old folks home but the worst job I've ever had without doubt is dealing with the general pathetic public whilst working for Richer Sounds. Having to deal with people who 'think' they know more than you on a daily basis is soul destroying especially when they are completely wrong but company policy means you have to suck it in. I hated it and hated myself for it yet stupidly I've worked for them twice.

DYK 10 March 2012 08:07 AM

Wouldn't say the worst but its one of the times i can think back and laugh about it.When i was 16 doing my apprentice construction course at college,i was put on placement with a builder all round tradesman type.Being stuck up on a roof for a solid 8 hours in January racking and then re pointing some big ass victorian type chimney was a bit of a shock at 16 being my first proper job from leaving school,my feet were effing frozen and it was no fun when he made me re point the joints i hadn't done properly,they looked ok to me,but he was a harsh fecker,NO GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES in this job he shouted.Wow i thought,that really did wonders for my morale,i was bloody miserable and that was just the first day :lol1: .
Then he didn't mention that he did the occasional blockage,until we got to one at a petrol station,we were now going into summer and January was in the past.lifted the man hole cover to be greeted with this big layer of crusted sh1t,it was blocked so bad it had filled right to the top.A few of them little flys were disturbed,but i said to him it don't smell so bad,he then gave me a rod and said start braking the top of the crust,so i did.Ewwwww the smell was terrible :eek:,and i ran my ass off at least 50 yards and could still smell it.It seem to take forever to unblock,ramming the rods down and the gurgling noises and water mixing in with the sh1t and bits of tissue,imagine all the people who take a dump at a garage over the months,i was dealing with the aftermath of it.I must of remained pale all that day as i got home and dad said to me you look white as a sheet son what's up,had to do a blockage.He smiled and said oh i'll ask no more about it then,have you eaten he said,are you taking the p1ss i thought,er no dad i'm not hungry,i can still smell the smell :( .Anyhow it wasn't all bad had some good days,but building was hard work in general and on site,stuck down trenches laying the blocks on mortar for the foundations,think the guy turned me off building,as 2/3 years later when i was 19 i joined the Forces.Remember in the careers office the sgt saying,oh you got a qualification in construction,yea i said.you'll come in handy in Bosnia,as long as i don't get any blockages i told him :lol1: ..

mart360 10 March 2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by euan_r (Post 10526680)
mart360 thats proper nasty job. Ive burried decomposed carcasses by hand whilst it was still legal, so can only imagine with it being human.

puts other posters gripes into perspective.

moaning about lifting a non existance 25kg is nothing, try two hundred weight bags up steep non handrailed steps, us "youngsters" have it easy compared to work my grandad used to do day in day out.

My sister used to moan that she was out of work at the same time ...

She got £25 dole money a week, Whilst I was working as an apprentice undertaker for £27PW , I could have taken the easy option ..but didnt. :)

Looking back, it may not have been the best career path to have chosen upon leaving school, but it was a job, and it still makes me smile i hear people moaning how tough steering a desk is

Mart :D

SRSport 10 March 2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 10526782)
the worst job I've ever had without doubt is dealing with the general pathetic public whilst working for Richer Sounds. Having to deal with people who 'think' they know more than you on a daily basis is soul destroying especially when they are completely wrong but company policy means you have to suck it in. I hated it and hated myself for it yet stupidly I've worked for them twice.

What sort of things did they think they know best about? Were they saying that biwiring doest make a difference if you are not biamping? Gold plated HDMI cables costing £50 are not actually better than £10 ones?

Kirstiestar 10 March 2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by stuart69 (Post 10525956)
I would of thought cleaning a cheesey sheath worse:D

Luckily the lads have to do that :lol1: but even so i think the matting job is worse, apart from having the risk of being kicked in the face that is! :freak3:

Turbohot 10 March 2012 02:56 PM

I wouldn't call it bad, worse or worst, but it was certainly very depressing. It was when I took an experimental shadowing with some care workers for a couple of months. I was working on the psychological level with the older patients, but I wanted to know what it was like to support disabled people on physical level. I visited some very appalling locations, and came to know what physical isolation does to a lot of older people. How some of them live in poverty and dirt, how helpless they are, and how they get patronised by some careworker bumfluffs who know jacksh!t about the journey of life in comaprison. Dementia kicks in, loved ones leave them rotting in the little bungalows, and they lay full of sores in their own sh!t until someone comes and cleans them. I learnt that the third world didn't just exist in the Third World, but also in the First World i.e. the mighty Great Britain. Eye-opener indeed. I wouldn't want to do that job. Hats off to the ones who do do that for a living. Just don't patronise older people. Don't treat them like children, if you can help it.

tony de wonderful 10 March 2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10527327)
I wouldn't call it bad, worse or worst, but it was certainly very depressing. It was when I took an experimental shadowing with some care workers for a couple of months. I was working on the psychological level with the older patients, but I wanted to know what it was like to support disabled people on physical level. I visited some very appalling locations, and came to know what physical isolation does to a lot of older people. How some of them live in poverty and dirt, how helpless they are, and how they get patronised by some careworker bumfluffs who know jacksh!t about the journey of life in comaprison. Dementia kicks in, loved ones leave them rotting in the little bungalows, and they lay full of sores in their own sh!t until someone comes and cleans them. I learnt that the third world didn't just exist in the Third World, but also in the First World i.e. the mighty Great Britain. Eye-opener indeed. I wouldn't want to do that job. Hats off to the ones who do do that for a living. Just don't patronise older people. Don't treat them like children, if you can help it.

Do you think the care-workers (and I mean 'care' in the loosest sense) are not just protecting themselves psychologically? It's easier to 'other' the old person with dementia than admit one may be on the same life journey or otherwise have something in common? Empthay can cost is what I mean.

Turbohot 10 March 2012 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10527345)
Do you think the care-workers (and I mean 'care' in the loosest sense) are not just protecting themselves psychologically? It's easier to 'other' the old person with dementia than admit one may be on the same life journey or otherwise have something in common? Empthay can cost is what I mean.

I wasn't talking about empathy, Tony. Empathy can cost, correct. It can also act as as a fogging element to the therapeutic interventions. I am talking about acknowledging and abiding by the written principles of "Dignity in Care". "Come on, sunshine" to be fed, "Don't be a silly moo. Get into the hoist or I'll just leave you in your wet bed", or a " How many times do I have to tell you not to ring unnecessarily? Oh, You are such a pain!" are just little examples of how older people sometimes get treated in care. Dependency doesn't mean losing respect, does it??? During those two months, I had to put my empathy and my internal processes aside to put creams on some people's sores. However, my application was mindful of the fact that I was dealing with the humans, and I had no right to de-humanise them; even if they had lost their marbles to a certain degree.

Bubba po 10 March 2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10527365)
I wasn't talking about empathy, Tony. Empathy can cost, correct. It can also act as as a fogging element to the therapeutic interventions. I am talking about acknowledging and abiding by the written principles of "Dignity in Care". "Come on, sunshine" to be fed, "Don't be a silly moo. Get into the hoist or I'll just leave you in your wet bed", or a " How many times do I have to tell you not ring unnecessarily? Oh, You are such a pain!" are just little examples of how older people sometimes get treated in care. Dependency doesn't mean losing respect, does it??? During those two months, I had to put my empathy and my internal processes aside to put creams on some people's sores. However, my application was mindful of the fact that I was dealing with the humans, and I had no right to de-humanise them; even if they had lost their marbles to a certain degree.

Turbs, don't react to this tool. You're infringing his rights to pontificate upon something he knows feck all about.

Blue by You 10 March 2012 04:01 PM

As a press maintenance engineer in a can factory I had to jump to any job regardless of its relevance to the process.
We had generally crap jobs like cleaning out oil sumps and stuff like that, but the worst job was retreiving the pump from the interceptor pit if the pump failed.
The pump was on a chain and sat 15 feet down in the pit in a guided nest so that there was supposed to be no need to go down into the pit to connect the pump. Sometimes the pump didn't line up and there was no alternative.
Of course when the pump failed the pit was always full up. So we would get a vacuum tanker in to empty out the contents and then in you went, while it was still fresh.

Oh yeah the pit took the contents from the canteen kitchen, showers, and of course, the toilets. Yum yum.

DARB 10 March 2012 04:15 PM

I worked at a car production plant for five years, a shift could be anything from 8 to 12 hours, the process I did took 72 seconds, then after that finished the next one was slowly moving into my 'station' for me to start another 72 seconds of work, then another, then another, then another, then another.............no radio allowed, if you listened hard enough you could actually hear your brain cells die !! And to be fair the actual work wasn't the worst part, that was the crap that came with the job from higher up !!

Terminator X 10 March 2012 04:26 PM

72s, did you ever try & do it quicker to get a rest in between?

TX.

Turbohot 10 March 2012 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10527380)
Turbs, don't react to this tool. You're infringing his rights to pontificate upon something he knows feck all about.

Hey, Bubs. :D

How I understand Tony is that he likes to expand his inquiry by investigating other areas connected with the dotted lines to the core area of interest, but not really directly related to the core area. That's just his style, I think. That's a different matter that If he were in my class, I'd have to tell him to talk to me some other time about those other areas, because I'd have to stick to the lesson plan.:D IMO he is an interesting poster even when he derails towards different directions from what one is actually talking about.

Daz89 10 March 2012 04:38 PM

Being in the armed forces is a bit **** the majority of the time tbh! My last 2 months though so things are looking up!

Jamz3k 10 March 2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10526869)
What sort of things did they think they know best about? Were they saying that biwiring doest make a difference if you are not biamping? Gold plated HDMI cables costing £50 are not actually better than £10 ones?

Well both those questions are very valid and if a customer hit me with both I could pretty much tell/show them they are wrong. Our shop seemed to get a lot of devious customers just out to get you in **** so they could claim a discount on their purchases.

steve ex vauxhall 10 March 2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10526359)
It could not of been that bad really come on,you actually had to take out the sh1tter. :lol1:

Honestly mate, the bog had to come out!

She'd been in the morning while i was at work, was well set by the time i got in from work.
No Water.
solid, she'd apologised to the wife, but scarpered when she heard me coming home.
I have never changed a nappy in my life as i cant handle the smell of ****e, i have 4 kids and got away with it as it makes me heave, so you can imagine how much i was heaving.

From that day forward, whoever comes into this house, and asks to use the bathroom, i ALWAYS ask No1 or NO 2.
Shivers down the spine if they admit to No2!:freak3:

DARB 10 March 2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10527419)
72s, did you ever try & do it quicker to get a rest in between?

TX.

I could do it in just under 50s but that just made it worse as you just had to stand and watch the next car move very slowly into your station :thumb:

tony de wonderful 10 March 2012 10:30 PM

Worked at a place which deals with the food trays which come back from flights.

They come packed into the trollies, are taken out, rubbish chucked in a bin, plastic stuff goes on a conveyor through a washes, forks etc on another, trays on another.

Then stuff gets packed away.

It's all broken down into various parts of the process, so one guy take the tray out and separates, one puts the trollies through a massive washer, one collects stuff coming out of the washer. Someone else takes this to storage etc. There was like 3 or 4 production lines like this doing 1000's trays a day.

I did this over the summer as a student on about £2.20 an hour. Some of the roughest, thickest people I ever met did that job. All day, 5 days a week stood over a conveyor belt, putting stuff on, or taking stuff off. Lots did weekends too as the money was ****e. There was a couple of ok people there, one guys who was like a perm-temp and seemed to just care about his kids, and this older Jamaican immigrant guys who was really dignified and never moaned. There was this ogreish, rough as hell guy built like a brick out-house who was buddies with this short Irish dodgy old farker who was a kind of superintendent. They game me the chills. If there is ever an Armageddon of society people like those two will be shooting you and eating you.

On top of that it was disgusting as the half eaten food gets everywhere, you had to work fast too or the system would back up.

14N-FR 10 March 2012 11:35 PM

I work offshore as a marine engineer and I have had to clean the filter to the ships **** tank.

Bare in mind it was the P&O Arcadia which had 3100 people on board at the time......

stuart69 11 March 2012 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall (Post 10526016)
Worst job i ever had was about six months ago.
Mrs ex vauxhall's fat bastar* mate came round to ours for a shi*.
Blocked the bog with the biggest load of crap i have ever seen in my life, plus she was on the blob, so jam rag too just to top it off.

Could i fook get it to go down, had to remove the bog, take it outside and tip it upside down, :(

She's now barred from my house!

I am fecking crying here,quality mate:thumb:

Originally Posted by Kirstiestar (Post 10527264)
Luckily the lads have to do that :lol1: but even so i think the matting job is worse, apart from having the risk of being kicked in the face that is! :freak3:

Aye you have a point,once had the perfect copy of a hoof print on my outer thigh,made my eyes watter:)