ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spec C Type 20 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/927145-spec-c-type-20-a.html)

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by apac (Post 10514297)
must agree with the above. good honest write up of the Spec C, i have Blob speccie v.8 with all the type 20 add ons and extra. With AST's turned up tight and some sticky rubber they are the business. i just wish i had the money to go from the the vf36 to a litchfield Twin entry turbo for some more 'umph' on the straights and to maximise the redline limit.
You have a special car. The miltek exhaust will take 20kg's off the OEM weight

Is the miltek really so much lighter?

I've tried a jdm Sti with the Litchfield twin scroll turbo making over 400 bhp and I was pretty impresses by it. I'm not convinced it can match the standard setup for spool and throttle response though. On a challenging give & take road you may well be quicker with the standard tubby.

Indeed undersell is an option, but adds weight... Mine is waxoyled instead. After 6 years there's stil no sign of rust underneath. The arches have been undersealed though.

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 10513554)
Cool, bet you had a great drive back :D

Yeah it was pretty epic - left at 8 and drove right through the night!

Met two other guys on the Chunnel who had been over to the uk to buy cars and bring them over to the continent. You just don't get cool metal like that over on the mainland.

apac 02 March 2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10514478)
Is the miltek really so much lighter?

So it's claimed by Miltek suppliers, but that is probably the Catless and not the Sports Cat version.;)

i have a Spec C Ltd, 1370kg with A/C and a few electrics. I've had it on a weigh bridge and came in at 1340kg with very little fuel, AST coilovers and Miltek. Car also has a very light weight battery

Suberman 02 March 2012 07:48 AM

Always amazed to see how much attention and replies a simple Spec C thread gets within a few days. :D

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Suberman (Post 10514522)
Always amazed to see how much attention and replies a simple Spec C thread gets within a few days. :D

I used to be amazed by it too, but now that I own one I can see what all the fuss is about!

So the catted miltek will probably be at least 15kg lighter. The standard exhaust is unbelievably heavy!

Shaun 02 March 2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10513289)
DO IT. You will not look back.

You're right.... I have NEVER looked back since moving from a SPEC C to a JDM STI! :lol1:

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by apac (Post 10514512)
So it's claimed by Miltek suppliers, but that is probably the Catless and not the Sports Cat version.;)

i have a Spec C Ltd, 1370kg with A/C and a few electrics. I've had it on a weigh bridge and came in at 1340kg with very little fuel, AST coilovers and Miltek. Car also has a very light weight battery

Was that with the spare wheel & jack removed?

Was the intercooler spray bottle full?

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10514543)
You're right.... I have NEVER looked back since moving from a SPEC C to a JDM STI! :lol1:

ah yes, but you had a blob Spec C didn't you?

The hawk seems to be a bit better suited for daily use - climate control, decent interior etc.

No doubt the JDM sti is a hell of a car as well.

TonyBurns 02 March 2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10514543)

You were just getting old Shaun and needed some creature comforts :lol1:

Tony:D

Terminator X 02 March 2012 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Suberman (Post 10514522)

Still the car of choice for the discerning scooby owner, some of us have been there many years ago though :smug:

TX.

Terminator X 02 March 2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10514623)
ah yes, but you had a blob Spec C didn't you?

The hawk seems to be a bit better suited for daily use - climate control, decent interior etc.

No doubt the JDM sti is a hell of a car as well.

Popcorn moment ;) hawk spec c vs hawk jdm sti - not a lot in it.

TX.

urban 02 March 2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10513289)
So, to any STI owners out there who are toying with the idea of trading up to a Spec C, I can only say this: DO IT. You will not look back.

That's all well and good, but the JDM cars are harder to insure.

TonyBurns 02 March 2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 10514653)
That's all well and good, but the JDM cars are harder to insure.

Its a myth ;) no problems if you go with a speciallist, its only if your bog standard direct line type company doesnt understand what the car is, that is when you have issues.

Tony:)

Shaun 02 March 2012 12:47 PM

MadUsa1,
First of all you have a great car. I love JDM's, I love STI's and I love the SPEC C.

However :D ......

IMO my old SPEC C (version I mean) was what a SPEC C should of been about, a proper track focused car without all the electric crap, air-con etc etc that came on the later cars, to make it more "comfortable" PAH!!!

IMO there really is no need to buy a Hawkeye SPEC C over a Hawkeye (JDM) STI. They are too similar and imo don't warrant any inflated prices (if this is the case on a like for like basis). In fact I would go as far as saying that if you had a JDM STI Blobeye MY05 (with widetrack), the situation would be the same against a Hawkeye SPEC C.

When you start modifying these cars, this is when things start to become less about whether it's a SPEC C or lowly STI. ;)

Take mine for example..... it will be quicker on the road and track than yours at the moment, regardless of whether yours has the "SPEC C" sticker on the back. I know that sounds obvious, but I'm just trying to highlight that having a SPEC C is more about emotional stuff, rather than how great a car it is compared to others.

I suppose I'm like a smoker who has given up and we all know there is nothing worse than that! lol

Enjoy your car mate.... it appears to be a cracker! :)

Tony,
How old are you again Tony? ;)

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10514906)
Take mine for example..... it will be quicker on the road and track than yours at the moment, regardless of whether yours has the "SPEC C" sticker on the back.

Having read your "starting again..." thread from start to finish I don't doubt that!

I'm going to try to stick to your mantra that "370 bhp is the optimum power output for a JDM STI". Let's see how I get on with that...

Like you, I spend a lot of time on the track so I'm quite pleased about the engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, revised radiator and water pump, roller bearing turbo, anti-surge fuel pump, roof scoop, rear strut brace, stiffer chassis and 12L IC spray.

I know you could easily add all of these things aftermarket, but it would cost you a few bob and it's part of the reason I think the Spec C will always command a small premium over the JDM STI.

tubbytommy 02 March 2012 01:39 PM

i love it, looks great. about the jdm hawk vs spec c arguement.
i thought the idea of the spec c was it was more of a track than road car and the fitted oil coolers and revised pumps and stiffened up the chassis to make it more reliable and faster on the track out of the box.
it was more about handling than outright straightline speed.
having driven a spec c and newage stis, the spec c feels more planted and faster through the turns, straightline speed wise it felt very similar but id have the spec c anyday.

urban 02 March 2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10514667)
Its a myth ;) no problems if you go with a speciallist, its only if your bog standard direct line type company doesnt understand what the car is, that is when you have issues.

Tony:)

Perhaps that's if you're mainland based

Just try getting a sensible quote in N.Ireland :cry:

Shaun 02 March 2012 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10514962)
Having read your "starting again..." thread from start to finish I don't doubt that!

I'm going to try to stick to your mantra that "370 bhp is the optimum power output for a JDM STI". Let's see how I get on with that...

Like you, I spend a lot of time on the track so I'm quite pleased about the engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, revised radiator and water pump, roller bearing turbo, anti-surge fuel pump, roof scoop, rear strut brace, stiffer chassis and 12L IC spray.

I know you could easily add all of these things aftermarket, but it would cost you a few bob and it's part of the reason I think the Spec C will always command a small premium over the JDM STI.

Did I say 370bhp is the "optimum" power output? :o :D

Unfortunately I hardly spend any time on track nowadays (I used to though). In fact the last competition event I did was in March 2011. :( I must get my arse into gear, either that or get my coat! :cry:

If your main use will be track, then the Spec C is better suited out of the box for sure. :)

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10515004)
Did I say 370bhp is the "optimum" power output?

Yeah I'm sure you wrote that somewhere.

I wanted to ask actually: how much of that lovely lag-free throttle response did you lose when moving to a larger turbo?

B4D HK 02 March 2012 04:26 PM

Cracking thread :)

Welcome to the Spec C club bud !
(Although proper spec C's dont have electric windows lol :))

STI Glenn 02 March 2012 04:44 PM

Awsome car mint

ch3w3y 02 March 2012 04:49 PM

Gorgeous car man!!!!

Great review too makes for good reading!

bluenosewrx 02 March 2012 04:50 PM

I used to have a red one form litchfields and am tempted to get another, keep looking at the One juggers has, The Spec RA but the paint job is putting me off.

Mac

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 06:39 PM

Which one does juggers have?

Terminator X 02 March 2012 06:51 PM

Matt black (painted) spec c type ra!

TX.

apac 02 March 2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10514617)
Was that with the spare wheel & jack removed?

Was the intercooler spray bottle full?

Spare wheel and jack removed. I/C tank mostly empty ... i think??
It was a competition between myself and my brother who had a classic wagan with no A/C . His came in at 1240!! but he cheated and removed his seats as well :lol1:

Robocop 02 March 2012 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Quinvy (Post 10514393)
How do these cars fair with corrosion, with not being undersealed?

As long as you keep it away from salt, it can look like this. ;)
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-years-on.html

MadUSA1
You've bought yourself a lovely example of a Type 20 there. :thumb:

MadUsa1 02 March 2012 09:48 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. The previous owner took extremely good care of it.

Shaun 03 March 2012 10:40 AM

Yours is certainly one of the best colours imo..... maybe I'm biased though! lol

http://www.shaunfennings.plus.com/hawkeye/hawkeye2.jpg

johnfelstead 03 March 2012 08:19 PM

I am not convinced the Spec C is a stiffer chassis than a JDM STi, if anything it's likely to be less stiff as i believe it has some chassis sections with less material in them to reduce weight.

My Widetrack MY05 JDM STi weighs 1444Kg with 1/4 tank of fuel and everything on board.

Had mine just over 3 years now and put 34K miles on it, best Subaru i have owned as an allrounder.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...8072011552.jpg