ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Carbon roof fitting (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/911589-carbon-roof-fitting.html)

GC8Andy 06 November 2011 09:07 PM

They deffo look good when fitted. I fit mine 18 months ago (saved 20kg over old roof which had factory sun roof).The fit is spot on but the leading and trailing edges are a slightly different angle making it difficult to fit original upper window trims.I used some universial rubber trim which looks fine. ps ACR had to alter the shape so they could get the panel out of the mould.

AkCustomz 07 November 2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10314003)
Then we fitted the skin and applied even pressure until the roof was pressed down and we were happy with the positioning,with how well the skin fitted we only needed to clamp down the front and rear faces without the need to apply pressure to the top it's self so credit to the company that supplied the panel.

and to the guy that helped put them out there and make them aware to kirtsybum :Whatever_

I am aware you went direct to them mate i was eventually told by Chris but no hard feeling lol. Would of atleast liked an email saying not to worry though instead of blanking me :)

Looks good though :thumb:

kirstybumx3 07 November 2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by AkCustomz (Post 10320378)
and to the guy that helped put them out there and make them aware to kirtsybum :Whatever_

I am aware you went direct to them mate i was eventually told by Chris but no hard feeling lol. Would of atleast liked an email saying not to worry though instead of blanking me :)

Looks good though :thumb:

u didnt make me aware of them mate i already had chris on my ebay 2 months ago, i hadnt got an email from you because my membership ran out and i was over my inbox limit :thumb:

p1mat 07 November 2011 06:59 PM

been toying with the idea of a carbon roof, maybe next year what is the weight saving tho standard metal skin compared to the carbon skin and could the centre roof supports be removed if not wouldn't of thought there would be any gain for me as the supports have already been removed on my standard roof

looks good tho mate keep up the good work :thumb:

kirstybumx3 07 November 2011 07:03 PM

weight difference is on first page mate ;)

p1mat 07 November 2011 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by kirstybumx3 (Post 10320474)
weight difference is on first page mate ;)

i see them mate but on my roof ive got the supports removed but the carbon roof there fitted to stop vibration so is there any saving then with the extra weight of the supports and could it be used with out supports or is it likely to fly off doing 180+ mph (turn in to the worlds fastest convertible roof) :lol1:

kirstybumx3 07 November 2011 08:40 PM

i want updates ryan!!!!!! you promised me some :P

prodriverules 07 November 2011 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by kirstybumx3 (Post 10320781)
i want updates ryan!!!!!! you promised me some :P

Sorry m8 but my photobucket account is playing up and I can't upload picture's,hopefully will be sorted tomorrow bud.

JonMc 11 November 2011 08:09 PM

I had a look at this last week when I picked my car up from Ryan, the work was top notch and the roof looks the dogs danglies:thumb:

prodriverules 19 November 2011 07:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Now that I can upload more pic's to my PB account I can now finish this project lol,after leaving the bonding agent over night to go off enough it was time to refit the roof lining and place the windscreens back in the holes as this particular vehicle will be coming back for the outside to be painted once the engine has been refitted and of course some 'Prodrive laquer' on the roof at the same time.
Pictures of the finished article
Attachment 55943
Attachment 55944
Attachment 55945
Attachment 55946
Attachment 55947

beef-on-the-bone 19 November 2011 08:01 PM

nice ;)

mervil 19 November 2011 10:38 PM

Ryan, where does the roof trims fix to on the new roof or does it not stretch that wide? Can you take some (more) pics of them please buddy? :)

BLU 20 November 2011 10:19 AM

Wow, looks fantastic :thumb:

Spanair 20 November 2011 11:33 AM

Good job dude, glad to see it coming along nicely :)

prodriverules 20 November 2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mervil (Post 10340231)
Ryan, where does the roof trims fix to on the new roof or does it not stretch that wide? Can you take some (more) pics of them please buddy? :)

How do Merv,the skin comes right to the outer edge of the gulley so the little pegs that the roof rail clips attached to are lost so it will require bonding along the top when the rails are installed again which isn't a problem on a classic as the rail runs right from front to back so you still retain the front/rear clips but on newage the rail runs from the top of the front screen/front of roof so might not hold at higher speed with bonder a lone?

The Trooper 1815 20 November 2011 08:00 PM

Getting excited now.

kirstybumx3 20 November 2011 08:51 PM

Looks great on the pics ryan, I still havnt seen it for real yet lol. The car has been up pole hoping I'm back from work early tomorrow to pick the car up and see my roof :p.

trails 23 November 2011 09:49 PM

proper good that mate you should be well pleased; looks OEM :)

Eacy 09 December 2011 06:11 PM

Any more pic :)
gonna get this done myself :)

HT04 16 December 2011 11:36 AM

dont get me wrong, it looks the nuts, and id love it on my 04 STi, but, fook me is that some major surgery. :freak3:

dan

LEE-WRX 16 December 2011 12:35 PM

Looks the nuts :) must add it to my ever expanding list, might be major surgery, but well worth the end result :thumb:

prodriverules 16 December 2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by HT04 (Post 10382231)
dont get me wrong, it looks the nuts, and id love it on my 04 STi, but, fook me is that some major surgery. :freak3:

dan

You'd be surprised Dan how easy it is when you know how:thumb:

Originally Posted by LEE-WRX (Post 10382298)
Looks the nuts :) must add it to my ever expanding list, might be major surgery, but well worth the end result :thumb:

Defo well worth the effort given how it looks when completed,if anyone else wants one doing just PM me:)

kirstybumx3 17 December 2011 07:04 PM

My car is locked away now till next year! Will be back up with ryan soon as :). Was well worth me having done, it looks the nuts

ad uk 17 December 2011 10:03 PM

looks good m8 really nice will be a nice car when finished

redscoobymann 17 December 2011 10:12 PM

I need to get me one of them, looks wicked and I think a vinyl roof wrap wouldn't be the same!!!

kirstybumx3 20 December 2011 05:42 AM

Vinyl roof! No no noooo pure carbon all the way mate ;)

wrx9181 20 December 2011 04:46 PM

Carbon looks fantastic quality
How much is it drive in drive out

kirstybumx3 21 December 2011 07:07 PM

Well the roof cost me 540, then the extra for ryan to fit it :)

johnnybon 31 December 2011 04:31 PM

:eek: OMG HOW GOOD DOES THAT LOOK :eek: im picking mine up in the new year :) but i might store it with all the other parts i have aquired till i get a good type r shell:norty: :thumb:

kirstybumx3 14 January 2012 08:08 AM

the car is be back off to see ryan at the end of the month. i have lots more plans, just gutting that im working all the time. love to do have of this myself.