ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Towing a trailer - any tips? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/888943-towing-a-trailer-any-tips.html)

chaffe 18 May 2011 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 10045506)

It's more "upmarket" from mere burgers and sausages using local produce (Tai Curry etc) There isn't many doing this for the more popular surfing beaches so it's got potential - assuming it gets back here in one piece.

Im hungary, stop speaking about food

windyboy 18 May 2011 01:32 PM

take some extra food with you and then when you stop at the services you can cook it and sell it and make a few quid :D

windyboy

chaffe 18 May 2011 01:45 PM

thats better just ate a whole chicken for lunch

Leslie 18 May 2011 03:21 PM

One of the most important things to make sure of is that when the trailer is attached to the towing hitch, the trailer weight must be ahead of the trailer's wheels. It does not have to be very nose heavy, but if the weight is behind the trailer wheels it will be unstable and very easy to get into a "tail wagging the dog" situation which becomes uncontrollable until the towing hitch is ripped off the car or the trailer overturns. The worst time is if that starts up when you are going downhill!

I spent some years towing my racer on a trailer so I know the dangers!

Les

CSW_Scoobie 18 May 2011 07:25 PM

Chaffe,

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Or is the the word that defines the two statements. As long as the trailer is 750kg or less the MAM is 4.25 tonnes on a class B licence. You are right though, it is not written very well.

chaffe 19 May 2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie (Post 10046172)
Chaffe,

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Or is the the word that defines the two statements. As long as the trailer is 750kg or less the MAM is 4.25 tonnes on a class B licence. You are right though, it is not written very well.

so the million dollar question is, can i tow a trailer heavier than 750 kg (passed after 97) providing my trailer weighs less than the car and the total is less than 3500? ie the max would be car=1750 trailer =1750

chaffe 19 May 2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie (Post 10046172)
Chaffe,

thats for catagory b vehicles not license holders though. What can you tow on a cat B licence (not B+E)

Jamo 19 May 2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by chaffe (Post 10045231)
You should know the rules then lol

its a serious question as I have not been able to find a clear answer.

I asked the question to a traffic officer and he said yes you can as you have a licence to drive upto 32 tonne, but if you look at it under every letter of the law surely I should have that category on my licence, and it is not on there.

J

CSW_Scoobie 19 May 2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by chaffe (Post 10046877)
so the million dollar question is, can i tow a trailer heavier than 750 kg (passed after 97) providing my trailer weighs less than the car and the total is less than 3500? ie the max would be car=1750 trailer =1750

As long as the MAM of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of your car you can.:thumb:

speedking 19 May 2011 12:33 PM

Just out of interest, all these legal limits relate to the Maximum Authorised Mass, if the trailer is empty and so considerably lighter, can you tow it with a lighter car?

chaffe 19 May 2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10047220)
Just out of interest, all these legal limits relate to the Maximum Authorised Mass, if the trailer is empty and so considerably lighter, can you tow it with a lighter car?

nope, if the trailer is plated at 3 tonnes, that is its mam, empty or otherwise, so i could not tow it. Homemade trailers are a grey area though