ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   cycling for health (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/887747-cycling-for-health.html)

Steve vRS 09 May 2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 10029379)
no - the gloves are almost entirely for the (preferably) gel padding on the palms. You're *meant* to have very little weight resting on the hands when cycling... yeah right... but the padding on the palms make for a much more comfortable ride.

Straight wrists is the key when cycling, relieves pressure on the ulnar nerve which you can feel as pins and needles (or numb hands) if you're bending the hands back.

Interesting. I often get numb hands. So straight wrists and bent elbows then?

Steve

Mogsi 10 May 2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Steve vRS (Post 10031153)

Steve

It's also worth checking your front tyre pressure. An over inflated tyre can cause road buzz up through the forks and bars and will give you pins and needles...

Kieran_Burns 10 May 2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Steve vRS (Post 10031153)

Steve

Yup - it's one of the reasons why drops are preferable (cue the slathering mob of flat bar nay sayers ;) ) If you position your hands on the hoods (top of the brake levers) your arms are in a more natural (and neutral) position, thumbs forward, wrists straight.

Kieran_Burns 10 May 2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mogsi (Post 10031890)
It's also worth checking your front tyre pressure. An over inflated tyre can cause road buzz up through the forks and bars and will give you pins and needles...

I run my 28c tyres at 100psi and 23c tyres at 110-120psi but don't suffer from road buzz... mind you both sets of forks are carbon and it's amazing the difference carbon fibre makes to smoothing out a ride.

Clarebabes 10 May 2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 10031907)
Yup - it's one of the reasons why drops are preferable (cue the slathering mob of flat bar nay sayers ;) ) If you position your hands on the hoods (top of the brake levers) your arms are in a more natural (and neutral) position, thumbs forward, wrists straight.

I agree with this as someone who used to get pain in my shoulders from straight bars. My preferred position is on the drops, but I hardly find anywhere to do this on my commute as it's so twisty!

Clarebabes 12 May 2011 10:16 AM

New commuting PB this morning. Really went for it for some reason! Think the wind was behind me which helped, so getting home might be interesting.

15.08mph average :D

J4CKO 12 May 2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10035139)
New commuting PB this morning. Really went for it for some reason! Think the wind was behind me which helped, so getting home might be interesting.

15.08mph average :D

Good going !

One of the lads from work who does a lot more miles than me was behind me going home, I stopped for a junction he caught me up a bit out of breath and remarked on my pace, felt great !

Clarebabes 12 May 2011 01:06 PM

What average do you do J4CKO?

Just used Endomondo app for my cycle in. Anyone else use it?

J4CKO 12 May 2011 01:11 PM

Not really looked recently, probably about 14 to 18 depending on wind, energy, being on a a promise etc with a PB of 20.4 I think it was, thats when I gave up trying, was trying to set it, managed it and realised the amount of risk and effort it took, cutting corners, not braking and pedalling until I thought I would burst, my heart was in serious danger, poor lardy old thing !

Going to set my new phone up to track speed and stuff.

SiPie 12 May 2011 01:22 PM

Interesting to see people going on about PB's and average speed etc with regards to commuting.

I took my speedo off my commuting bike years ago as I was becoming obsessed about trying to get there as quick as possible and found myself starting to take risks etc to shave a few seconds.

With Edinburgh traffic being the way it is I decided that I would just concentrate on staying alive and just getting to and from work

Just my tuppence but maybe worth considering

Steve vRS 12 May 2011 01:22 PM

I re-started cycling in the new year to get rid of my gut.

I do runs of between 10-15 miles at a time. I will go further in June when I've got my MSc exams out of the way as well as cycling to the office (10miles each way).

My average speed has gone from under 13 to over 16mph in that time with step change of 1mpg when I changed MTB tyres for slicks! I've also lost 11lbs without cutting out any food or beer although I have started to reduce my intake of the later!

Steve

Steve vRS 12 May 2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 10035398)
Interesting to see people going on about PB's and average speed etc with regards to commuting.

I took my speedo off my commuting bike years ago as I was becoming obsessed about trying to get there as quick as possible and found myself starting to take risks etc to shave a few seconds.

With Edinburgh traffic being the way it is I decided that I would just concentrate on staying alive and just getting to and from work

My commute will be through Cheshire lanes so I won't need to jump lights, just watch out for badly driven X5s and Range Rover Sports.

Steve

SiPie 12 May 2011 01:27 PM

Yeah different story if not city riding :thumb:

Clarebabes 12 May 2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 10035398)

I agree, but I have a rural commute with a lot less traffic on it than the middle of Edinburgh! I encounter no traffic lights, only small roundabouts. So I'm not really putting my life at risk, (well, apart from cycle commuting :) ) by chasing PBs. It's just a guide anyway to see how good the traffic/wind/my legs have been anyway.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 12 May 2011 01:49 PM

^^^ What she said. I want to see how quick, max speed, where max speed & overtake/outrun any other cyclist :D

However, I don't take (what I consider) stupid risks, jump lights, go the wrong way round traffic islands etc. My rules are that I must obey the law, ride without being a danger to myself/others, go as fast as I can & pray for green lights all the way!

Was hacked off the other night when my road tyred mtb got a puncture & I took the road bike home instead - could only seem to go about 1mph faster & it seemed to hurt more :confused:

J4CKO 12 May 2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 10035442)
outrun any other cyclist :D

Thats what it is all about, cruising past someone with little apparent effort or getting into a bit of a race, going past them and then having to keep that pace up to save face, silly but fun and good for the effort levels.

Steve vRS 12 May 2011 02:56 PM

I never seem to meet anyone apart from chavs on cheap full suspension bikes, peddling with their knees pointing out perpendicular from their bodies! I see lots of other bikes going the other way.

One doesn't expect this in Lymm!

Steve

Clarebabes 12 May 2011 03:02 PM

I saw a bloke in the distance this morning on a hybrid bike with high viz jacket etc. I thought "Great, now I can post on the SCR thread on Bike Radar!" But alas, he turned off. :( I was most peeved.

ChrisB 12 May 2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 10035513)
Thats what it is all about, cruising past someone with little apparent effort or getting into a bit of a race, going past them and then having to keep that pace up to save face, silly but fun and good for the effort levels.

Glad it's not just me that is a sucker for chasing down other riders :D

andythejock01wrx 12 May 2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 10035513)

Me too! There have been a couple of times when I've gone to great efforts to rell someone in, only to find they're some wee 10 stone guy (I'm just under 14st) and they weren't really pushing it. Egg well and truly on face!

Your average girl commuter doesn't seem so competitive?

Andy

Steve vRS 12 May 2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 10036248)
Your average girl commuter doesn't seem so competitive?

Andy

I prefer to stay just behind those, especially if they are wearing tight shorts :D

Steve

andythejock01wrx 12 May 2011 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steve vRS (Post 10036292)
I prefer to stay just behind those, especially if they are wearing tight shorts :D

Steve

:lol1:

And then you can have a wee chat at the lights! :thumb: