ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Problems with employment (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/865693-problems-with-employment.html)

Bubba po 30 December 2010 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 9788728)
...and hope for a response? :D

It's well-known that the blues and twos mean "responding to a cup of tea and a doughnut back at the station". :D

Pink_Floyd 30 December 2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 9788687)
You are temporary staff.
You are not the boss.
Regardless of what YOU may think, you are a subordinate.

Do what you are asked/told to do.
Do it with good grace.
Do it to the best of your ability.
Do it WELL.
Do it FAST.

Adopt the above sentiment to EVERY JOB you ever get. (Even when employed pemanently)

It's served me well

Don't be a kiss arse "YES" person - Be Honest and be open to requests from managers.

If you CAN'T do a job in a certain time - Work out what you need to get the job done by a certain time (more people/more supplies etc) and tell your manager that.

FFS -Kids today!!

Jods

At least he is here trying to get advice to resolve the situation.

As for your "advice" I have always found smart a**s like you who give the advice posted above have never been on the receiving end of the s***y stick, despite what you might want us all to believe :rolleyes:

StickyMicky 30 December 2010 08:58 AM

I have been on the end of the ****ty stick and i have always adopted the chaps advice.

Sometimes you just get shafted.

In April this year, i was told via a third party that the upper management were planning on getting rid of me, because they felt i was not doing enough to raise sales at the car wash :eek: the real reason for this was the problems with the car wash damaging alloy wheels, they passed on a claim back to me saying i should not have allowed the vehicle in the wash, my argument was that the guidelines they state are out of date, the sinegage states that you must have 6cm of sidewall on the tyre to be safe in the wash, that would have been fine 10 years ago, but every car nowadays has alloys with low profile tyres, so i stopped putting any low profile spec cars into the wash.

Usually you would ignore this kind of rumour nonsense, but i started digging about, and i know of 2 people who were asked "would you run this site if mick was not around" one of these was a close mate.

I gathered some evidence and asked upper management about it, and i was told that my regional manager was being pressurized by the chief executive to "get rid of him"

The regional manager did not want to do this, but was told "get rid of him or we will get rid of you"

At one point i was asked if i wanted to hand my notice in :cuckoo: which i declined, if they could find a decent reason to terminate my contract then fine, push me out, but i am not walking without having a decent position to go to, so this year they have embarked on a 3 wave setup of mystery motorist spies to try and catch out, which failed as we initial came 5th in the region, then 3rd, and the final waves results are due in any day (but i dont care as i am buggering off)

They dont want me (or a good few others) in these positions anymore, what they want is some numpty who will just overlook these guidelines, and deal with the mountain of hassle that arises when the **** hits the fan (and it hits the fan quite often)

I can see this chaps dilemma from both sides, it does sound to me like they are wanting him out, maybe they have somebody lined up to replace him, maybe they are covering backs in case he buggers off, what i will suggest is that you can fight all you want to stay in your position, but it is not going to make you happy in the long run, so just man up, take the ****, get on with it until you are ready to move on to a better position.

I have/had been putting up with this backstabbing crap since april, it has not been easy :D but the regional manager has actually sorted me right out, but i am reluctant to post any details until i hand the keys back next tuesday :)

subaruturbo_18 30 December 2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 9788687)
You are temporary staff.
You are not the boss.
Regardless of what YOU may think, you are a subordinate.

Do what you are asked/told to do.
Do it with good grace.
Do it to the best of your ability.
Do it WELL.
Do it FAST.

Adopt the above sentiment to EVERY JOB you ever get. (Even when employed pemanently)

It's served me well

Don't be a kiss arse "YES" person - Be Honest and be open to requests from managers.

If you CAN'T do a job in a certain time - Work out what you need to get the job done by a certain time (more people/more supplies etc) and tell your manager that.

FFS -Kids today!!

Jods

Not really sure what your comment is all about. What makes you think my job is not permanent ?

I have always/will always work hard in any employement I work within. And considering I started this job more for sentimental reasons I am sure enough to say that I have worked harder than in any other job. Hence why I was made a supervisor.

Your comment really isn't valid in this thread and frankly I don't want posts like yours which do not contain positive advice, or any advice for that matter. What I have clearly asked in the original post is advice on legalities of my situation.

trails 30 December 2010 10:23 AM

I think some of Jods advice is good common sense for everyone.

If this is a part\time job and you "don't really need the money" walk away; life's to short to get drawn into grief like this where there doesn’t appear to be any benefit in pursuing it...if you do decide to make an issue of it make sure you have a clear idea of what you want out it. Good luck either way.

Lisawrx 30 December 2010 10:59 AM

Subaruturbo18, I don't really know legalities of this, so I won't bluff. If I were you, I would get in touch with citizens advice or ACAS and get some impartial advice based upon what has happened.

I don't think what they are doing is fair, but opinion doesn't really matter, what you need to know is exactly how to proceed, in prep. for your meeting. Out of curiosity, is your dancer colleague willing to be a witness to the fact the bar was empty when you bantered with the landlady, and that it was only banter? I would imagine that may help your case if she was.

I am sorry, but I can't believe some people are suggesting he just walk/get on with it. Just because he's a student, it's part time, or they might be having problems, doesn't mean they can treat him unfairly.

trails 30 December 2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 9789038)
I am sorry, but I can't believe some people are suggesting he just walk/get on with it. Just because he's a student, it's part time, or they might be having problems, doesn't mean they can treat him unfairly.

because he dosen't really need the money...;)

Lisawrx 30 December 2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 9789044)
because he dosen't really need the money...;)

It's still not an excuse to be unfair.

Gordo 30 December 2010 11:14 AM

Sounds to me like you're a whinging (note the spelling) student.

Let's put this another way - you're a temporary barman working in the holidays. The other 'employee' you cite is an exotic dancer for whom it's 'not her main focus'. Now put yourself in the landlady's shoes - she wants reliable professional staff all year, not just in the holidays or as a sideshow to something else. It is the nature of temporary bar work that you're not permanently employed - get over it and enjoy your time at uni before you have to find a proper job; assuming that barwork isn't your dream - if it is, then stop sponging off the state doing a pointless degree :)

Gordo

Gordo 30 December 2010 11:14 AM

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

trails 30 December 2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 9789060)
It's still not an excuse to be unfair.

sorry but I'm going through a formal grievance process at work because I've been done up like a kipper whilst moving into a new role under TUPE and can tell you from experience it’s a nasty stressful situation... so if you can avoid it then do so, especially if you don't need the money and therefore the job.
It’s all about context Lisa.

Lisawrx 30 December 2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 9789064)
Sounds to me like you're a whinging (note the spelling) student.

Let's put this another way - you're a temporary barman working in the holidays. The other 'employee' you cite is an exotic dancer for whom it's 'not her main focus'. Now put yourself in the landlady's shoes - she wants reliable professional staff all year, not just in the holidays or as a sideshow to something else. It is the nature of temporary bar work that you're not permanently employed - get over it and enjoy your time at uni before you have to find a proper job; assuming that barwork isn't your dream - if it is, then stop sponging off the state doing a pointless degree :)

Gordo

He doesn't say it's temporary, just that the role is part time. If the position is temporary, then they should go the right way about terminating his contract.

DCI Gene Hunt 30 December 2010 11:39 AM

So the choice is employing a full time ex-exotic dancer or a student

subaruturbo_18 30 December 2010 01:04 PM

I think there is some confusion here. It may be a part time job but in my plans I will continue to work there along aide the duration of my course. It started out as something I did which I didn't really need the money for but I then made it my only job as I began to enjoy it. Apart from a few there is some good advice which I will follow and hopefully come back with good news after my meeting.

Oh, and she's not an exotic dancer :(

DCI Gene Hunt 30 December 2010 01:06 PM

Well in that case the jobs yours (again).. :)

vindaloo 30 December 2010 02:22 PM

Why has no-one asked for piccies of the dancer yet? :wonder:

Pink_Floyd 30 December 2010 02:29 PM

If you regress right back to the initial offer of employment, for you or the dancer, they (your employers) would have known your situation unless you were dishonest. To that end they accepted who you are, what you could commit and expectations should have been agreed.

If they wish to renege on this now they should do the right thing instead of resorting to childish tactics that amount to what is allegedly illegal under employment law.

As for all this 'student' nonsense about being unwashed, lazy, want the moon on a stick etc. I understand why this is, however as a mature student, at quite a prestigious university I see some idiots funded by 'Daddy' I also however see students who attend all classes, and work two jobs to make ends meet. It's not unusual to see them sit up all night writing a paper only to go to lectures, then to job 1 for a few hours, grab sleep and off to job 2.

Now before anyone states that's what they deserve I disagree. We all have a place to fill in society. Some of us will be blue collar workers and some will fill those 'higher positions' Without this balance things go to pot, remember the plumber crisis recently? Too many in higher education and not enough in vocational. The tide will turn though.

Just because someone choses to engage in higher education does not mean their basic rights should be questionable, nor should they have to pay some sort of 'penalty' set by a society that, at the moment, has few ethics or morals itself.

OP take some advice from the right people mate :thumb:

DCI Gene Hunt 30 December 2010 03:29 PM

Here's my view..

1. It's casual work in a pub FFS, not really worth getting wound up about.
2. You're going back to uni, so I presume you'd not be available for full time anyway.
3. You sound like a right whiner.
4. Any pics of the dancer?

trails 30 December 2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 9789474)
Here's my view..

2. You're going back to uni, so I presume you'd not be available for full time anyway.

pmsl:lol:

subaruturbo_18 30 December 2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 9789474)
Here's my view..

:lol1: TW@

1. Whether its cleaning cars in a car park or working as a heart surgeon i still expected to be treated with respect.

2. I'd be able to carry on with all of my shifts bar 2 which add up to 6 hours, so I'd be doing about 22-25 a week.

3. How am i whining if i just asked a simple question on the law?

4. I'll exchange pics for advice*

*These may or may not be pics of the dancer in question

chocolate_o_brian 30 December 2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd (Post 9789383)
If you regress right back to the initial offer of employment, for you or the dancer, they (your employers) would have known your situation unless you were dishonest. To that end they accepted who you are, what you could commit and expectations should have been agreed.

If they wish to renege on this now they should do the right thing instead of resorting to childish tactics that amount to what is allegedly illegal under employment law.

As for all this 'student' nonsense about being unwashed, lazy, want the moon on a stick etc. I understand why this is, however as a mature student, at quite a prestigious university I see some idiots funded by 'Daddy' I also however see students who attend all classes, and work two jobs to make ends meet. It's not unusual to see them sit up all night writing a paper only to go to lectures, then to job 1 for a few hours, grab sleep and off to job 2.

Now before anyone states that's what they deserve I disagree. We all have a place to fill in society. Some of us will be blue collar workers and some will fill those 'higher positions' Without this balance things go to pot, remember the plumber crisis recently? Too many in higher education and not enough in vocational. The tide will turn though.

Just because someone choses to engage in higher education does not mean their basic rights should be questionable, nor should they have to pay some sort of 'penalty' set by a society that, at the moment, has few ethics or morals itself.

OP take some advice from the right people mate :thumb:

Excellent post.

Chris, ignore the usual suspests giving their holier than thou tripe. :lol1:

If you wish to discuss further, PM me as I have knowledge and experience which may be beneficial. :)

Jamo 30 December 2010 06:24 PM

Dont waste your time on here, goto www.acas.co.uk and ask their advice, it does sound like a possible case of constructive dismissal. its very difficult to prove that though, its also going to depend on how long you have worked there and how many hours you do a week.

J

trails 30 December 2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by j4mou (Post 9789813)
Dont waste your time on here, goto www.acas.co.uk and ask their advice, it does sound like a possible case of constructive dismissal. its very difficult to prove that though, its also going to depend on how long you have worked there and how many hours you do a week.

J

acas will just tell you what your rights are and then tell you to take formalised legal advice...which I doubt would be a cost effective exercise in this instance...hence my first post :thumb:

Leslie 31 December 2010 12:50 PM

Why did the landlord accuse you of belittling the landlady in front of the customers?

Les

DCI Gene Hunt 31 December 2010 01:19 PM

If you've worked there for less that 12 months you have earned no employment rights and they can dismiss you at will. If you've worked longer then you have some rights, but consider that technically you've had a verbal warning so are on thin ice. If you genuinely think they're out to get you start writing down all events (date and time) with regard to strange conversations or events as you may need to refer to them at a later date should it all go south.

dunx 31 December 2010 01:58 PM

I to have been at the sheety end of the stick..

Get out while you still have some dignity.

There's a recession, your "mates" don't owe you a job, and jods was right.

dunx

P.S. I walked rather than let my ex-employer crapp on me...

DCI Gene Hunt 31 December 2010 01:59 PM

Is she one of these?

http://www.talentonline.co.nz/dance-...-showgirls.jpg

MMT WRX 31 December 2010 02:04 PM

Do you have a contract of employment?
How long have you worked there?
How do you get paid? They can legally pay you with hand written pay slips up to about £105/week in certain situations.
Are you pregnant?

-------- 31 December 2010 05:39 PM

Employment laws are for the BENEFIT of employers, NOT employee's.That means those who oppose WORKING CLASS "ELF AN safety type LAWS", are NOT interested in the working class.

GC8 02 January 2011 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9788919)
I have been on the end of the ****ty stick and i have always adopted the chaps advice.

:)

B*llocks to them: now youve got holiday pay and some security. :thumb: