ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   It's ok to lose at Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/855523-its-ok-to-lose-at-sport.html)

Trout 15 October 2010 02:20 PM

It seems unlikely that Steiner kids will ever go to Secondary Comp!!! Otherwise you are correct!

EddScott 15 October 2010 02:26 PM

Its my understanding that they stay in Steiner schools until 14. From there its either into another private school or thrown to the oiks in the local comp.

Guy I work with, his kids go to the local steiner and AFAIK will go to the same comp as mine but at 14 and not 12. Had to pick them up once (middle of flaming nowhere) and although its very expensive all the parents had that hippie look to them.

Trout 15 October 2010 02:32 PM

I think to get your children into Steiner you are not allowed to own a car, although membership of a car club sharing a Prius is acceptable.

You must grow and make all your own food and only eat what is in season (bark in the winter, nettles and dandelions in the summer).

You must wear one of those stupid pointy hats with ear flaps made out of goat hair and dyed jolly colours.

If you are a woman you will wear a fully length floaty skirt or dress. You will not shave your armpits and deodorant is banned.

If you are a man you are probably already emasculated so it is irrelevant!

EddScott 15 October 2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9656674)

You moan that you miss sausage rolls and cheese cake, tut when someone brings in food from home that may have looked twice at a cow, stink the office out with quorn based Bolagnese and complain bitterly that the polly tunnel you ordered hasn't arrived.

Oh, and completely out of character, you often buy the Daily Star and bin in it before you set off home.

You also probably get into a spot of bother when you get home to discover one of your workmates has lifted the Daily Star out of the bin, folded onto a page with some bird with her boobs out and slip it back into the briefcase when you weren't looking.

*All completely true. :D

J4CKO 15 October 2010 02:49 PM

Reference my earlier thread about the point of some university courses, this is another point that bugs me, teaching religion in schools, stop it, its not fact, its not real and its not like there arent other versions of it being taught to other kids, religion is one for the respective communities, not wasting educators time on, maybe an hour to explain the various types but not writing endless essays and bollocks about it.

Teach them how to balance a bank account, fix a bike tyre, write a letter, anything useful, not mumbo jumbo, its just f*cking stories, at least history lessons have some basis in fact, RE is just a waste of time, how come there all these kids turned out with poor life skills, dire reading skills and not able to look after themselves, probably because they were learning about the frigging Israelites and sodding Moses, that come in hand when they are skint and on the dole, a good tale about a burning bush at an interview, any burning bush stories my lads learn should be about a hillarious Brandy/Cigar incident in a Lap Dancing Bar.

EddScott 15 October 2010 03:12 PM

Taking the extremist attitude of some people who have "religion" away, religion tends to be no more than a moral guide. I think your run of the mill school has to have some sort of religious elements as a means to give the children a moral guide.

If parents want there children to be brought up with the "you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!!!" way of thinking then the child probably goes to a faith school already.

For the rest of us normal folk, religion in schools is a good way of introducing values to a child by way of stories. Some of it can be confusing - Your teacher tells you about adam and eve but when you go home your dad is watching the chap from D-Ream on the subject of the Big Bang.

J4CKO 15 October 2010 03:30 PM

I think religion just confuses issues of morality, additional abstract concepts and stuff that is hard to explain if questioned to explain what is basically "dont be a cnut" to a child.

Spoon 15 October 2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9656090)
I have no idea what age key stage three is (10?) but I couldn't disagree with you more Frosticles.

At that age the main focus of sport should be about playing and enjoying yourself, and learning that physical exercise can be fun. To turn it into a competitive exercise at that age is just wrong and counter-productive.

Once you get to later years in secondary school, then yes, competition should be encouraged, but still not the be-all and end-all. I don't know if you watched the program about Can England Win the Next World Cup with Gary Linekar, but one of the main problems that was highlighted, and was a major difference between our schools and the spanish schools was that we encourage the Win at all costs mentality, whereas in Spain they encourage them to enjoy football first, win second - I think it's clear to see by the results which one works!

What an absolute load of tosh. Competition begins at the first breath and it is little wonder this country breeds so many wet lettuce today.

Leslie 15 October 2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Frosticles (Post 9656070)
My daughter is at key stage 3 at primary school & I can't believe some of the things she is being taught. First off is the creation "Crap" That the world was created in 6 days :razz::razz: & when it rains it is "God crying"
Secondly, She is slowly being brainwashed to believe that Sport should be enjoyed and not be competitive. It is ok to come second or last as long as you have enjoyed it.
With this utter bull**** attitude now being taught it is no wonder that our ultra left wing PC, Eco warrior ing crappy country of ours is crap at most sports.

It is quite shocking to see that these pinko PC Plonkers are teaching this sort of rubbish. They are terrified in case a child gets "disappointed" if not winning at sport etc. They just cannot see that is all part of life and something that you have to get used to, and to try that much harder next time. We will wind up with a bunch of children who cannot deal with adversity and expect everything to be presented to them on a plate.

What a grey useless and boring life they try to build for us all.

They want a strong person to give them a very heavy kicking up the "arris" until they begin to see the light!

Les :(

JTaylor 15 October 2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 9656449)
As already said, children are told this so they have other opinions, but more so, its something easy and simple that they can relate to... a man in the sky that is god, is that not a very common conception of what god is?

Have you already told you daughter these is no such thing as Santa?

I'd go with this; allegory is key to a child's development. As soon as a child begin's to ask questions one can assume that they are intellectually mature enough to begin to comprehend often harsh reality. I think. Or would an abscence of magic in childhood make adolescence less painful? Hmmm. :Suspiciou

JTaylor 15 October 2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9656674)
I think to get your children into Steiner you are not allowed to own a car, although membership of a car club sharing a Prius is acceptable.

You must grow and make all your own food and only eat what is in season (bark in the winter, nettles and dandelions in the summer).

You must wear one of those stupid pointy hats with ear flaps made out of goat hair and dyed jolly colours.

If you are a woman you will wear a fully length floaty skirt or dress. You will not shave your armpits and deodorant is banned.

And commit to one of the most succesful education systems on the planet.

Jamz3k 15 October 2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DoZZa (Post 9656199)
I suppose that depends on who you speak to.

It doesn't really, it depends on the facts and the fact is the marjority of people in UK/NI are Christian.

ScooByer Trade 15 October 2010 05:15 PM

That maybe so Jamz, however how many people go to church ?.I've never seen a graph chart on that before, probably too embarrased to mention they do.

Jamz3k 15 October 2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade (Post 9656997)
That maybe so Jamz, however how many people go to church ?.I've never seen a graph chart on that before, probably too embarrased to mention they do.

Considering this place
http://www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery...hitewell_1.jpg

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery...hitewell_2.jpg

I'd say quite a few and having been before it was very much packed. Also considering the 7 Churchs(i'm near sure there is a chapel or two also) in my local town, i'd say quite a few still go to Church/Chapel.

Leslie 17 October 2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9656741)
Taking the extremist attitude of some people who have "religion" away, religion tends to be no more than a moral guide. I think your run of the mill school has to have some sort of religious elements as a means to give the children a moral guide.

If parents want there children to be brought up with the "you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!!!" way of thinking then the child probably goes to a faith school already.

For the rest of us normal folk, religion in schools is a good way of introducing values to a child by way of stories. Some of it can be confusing - Your teacher tells you about adam and eve but when you go home your dad is watching the chap from D-Ream on the subject of the Big Bang.

Have you noticed the extremist attutudes of many atheists towards those who choose to be religious?

Most of the religious just keep it to themselves and get on with life. They rarely are seen to attack Atheists anyway!

Les

GC8WRX 17 October 2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9656560)
We do this. My 8 year old has been given the usual god bit in school and we've gone for a similar stance.

As for its all about taking part - kids might nod willingly to a teacher or repeat it to a parent but they are not stupid and no full well its all about the winning. They nod to the teacher because its easier than having to sit in the naughty cloud for daring to have an opinion or repeated to a parent as a tester to see if the boss sees it the same way. :)

My daughter will come out with things she's been taught at school and the tone gives it away that shes really after clarification. We give a balanced (what we see as balanced anway) opinion and she can make up her own mind.

I'd be more concerned about the kids that have parents who force their own will onto the kids:-

You must be veggies
You must attend a Steiner school
TV rots your brain

This is even more alarming.

Modern parents:lol1:

Their kids are ALWAYS bully victims, watch about a boy for an idea!

r32 17 October 2010 12:32 PM

Firstly, the rules for living which can be found in Christianity (and most other religions) are good rules to live by, never mind whether you believe in God or Jesus Christ, I think that bit is for the individual to determine for themselves. Live by the rules and you will be a good human being.

As far as competitive sports not being allowed in many schools that just sh!t or winning or losing doesnt matter. When will these people realise that LIFE is competitive. So let the kids see winning and losing first hand. Not just a huge shock when they are thrown in to a dog eat dog world after school. They should be well prepared.

tarmac terror 17 October 2010 08:34 PM

I can understand why it is a good idea to tell kids that it is good to play sport regardless of how well you do at it. There are lots of things I am c r a p at when compared to others, but I continue with them as I enjoy them. What I don't agree with is the concept being pedalled at school sports days where the winner of an event gets a medal, as do all the others who took part.

I will be telling my kids that it is ok to finish in second place or further down the field, as long as when you set out your aim was to finish first, and you gave of your best to try to win.

CrisPDuk 18 October 2010 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9656774)
What an absolute load of tosh. Competition begins at the first breath and it is little wonder this country breeds so many wet lettuce today.

Ufortunately, until attitudes like yours are consigned to the history books, English teams are going to continue to slide down all the world rankings :(

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 18 October 2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9656774)

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I did not say competition should not be encouraged, of course it should, but to force a win-at-all-costs mentality in young kids is not proven to work at all (just look at the England team!), and will also probably turn them into a**holes (again, same example ;) )

Spoon 18 October 2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 9661873)
Ufortunately, until attitudes like yours are consigned to the history books, English teams are going to continue to slide down all the world rankings :(

How the fcuk do you work that out? :confused:

SwissTony 18 October 2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9661888)
How the fcuk do you work that out? :confused:

My thoughts exactly :wonder:

Spoon 18 October 2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9661885)
Perhaps you misunderstand me. I did not say competition should not be encouraged, of course it should, but to force a win-at-all-costs mentality in young kids is not proven to work at all (just look at the England team!), and will also probably turn them into a**holes (again, same example ;) )

The England team as it stands ARE a prime example of exactly the opposite to what you say though and clearly support what I say. :wonder:

Spoon 18 October 2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9661896)
My thoughts exactly :wonder:

Thank you, I thought I was going doolally and had to read it several times in case I'd read it wrong. I stopped short at turning my monitor upside down. :D

SwissTony 18 October 2010 12:47 PM

Or relocate to australia :lol1:

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 18 October 2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9661900)
The England team as it stands ARE a prime example of exactly the opposite to what you say though and clearly support what I say. :wonder:

So you consider the current generation of England players to be successful and nice people?

Compare them to the Spanish - with far less spent on them too yet they are far more successful, partly in down to a completely different training approach and attitude, focused more on enjoyment than winning.

Spoon 18 October 2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9661909)
Or relocate to australia :lol1:

It is clearly National Galah Day. :D

Andy Tang 18 October 2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Frosticles (Post 9656070)
My daughter is at key stage 3 at primary school & I can't believe some of the things she is being taught. First off is the creation "Crap" That the world was created in 6 days :razz::razz: & when it rains it is "God crying"
Secondly, She is slowly being brainwashed to believe that Sport should be enjoyed and not be competitive. It is ok to come second or last as long as you have enjoyed it.
With this utter bull**** attitude now being taught it is no wonder that our ultra left wing PC, Eco warrior ing crappy country of ours is crap at most sports.

Blame the headteacher!

My daughter is in year 1 (5-6 year olds) and although RE is taught, it is taught as a belief system, rather than the truth.

So my daughter is aware of the "stories" about God, and that her grandmother believes this, where as my wife and I don't. I have also taught her that my mother is a Taoist, but again a belief system for some people.

When we looked round the school before my daughter joined, they showed us the sports facilities they shared with the junior school, so I asked the headteacher about competitiveness in sports, where she said it was encouraged, as the children need to learn there are times they will win, and times they will lose. :notworthy

Spoon 18 October 2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 9661910)
So you consider the current generation of England players to be successful and nice people?

Compare them to the Spanish - with far less spent on them too yet they are far more successful, partly in down to a completely different training approach and attitude, focused more on enjoyment than winning.

I consider the current generation of English football team players as largely a huge embarrassment. They don't show an ounce of genuine competitiveness unless play is going their way with very little effort.

As for nice people I couldn't say. However, I doubt they'd last 2 minutes in my company once I'd told them they were a bunch of overpaid nancy boys.

The Spanish are more possibly more hungry, simple. No professional is at the top of their game for enjoyment over winning no matter what some daft survey will say in a climate where public positive reinforcement of winning is frowned upon.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 18 October 2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9661928)
The Spanish are more possibly more hungry, simple. No professional is at the top of their game for enjoyment over winning no matter what some daft survey will say in a climate where public positive reinforcement of winning is frowned upon.

Yes of course, by the time they get to the professional rungs of sport, it really is all about winning. What I'm referring to are the formative years (of, in this case, a footballer).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...s-nothing.html

Obviously I have chosen an article that fits my point of view, but he makes some interesting points, so too do the comments at the bottom.