ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Only in America (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/850169-only-in-america.html)

markjmd 09 September 2010 11:57 AM

One word........Hitler. It is amazing how seemingly insignificant events at a point in time can have catastrophic consequences in the future.......http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/frown.gif
Ths subtle but very important difference here is that Hitler's book-burnings were actively supported and encouraged by a political party that happened to be in charge of an entire country at the time, whereas Pastor Jones here is head of an insignificant little church in the back-end of nowhere with a congregation of just a few hundred people.

Sadly, it says far more once again about the faith (and its followers) that's supposedly on the receiving end of this 'deeply offensive insult', than it does about the offensive act itself.

scoobywrxwagon 09 September 2010 12:05 PM

I blame the media he has about 50 followers if the media didnt publish it then we/world wouldn`t be commenting on it now.
The media has such a power over the public and it needs to take that into concideration when publishing this crap !! Humans unfortunatly are like sheep and are easily lead so if a paper write it and its on the tv then is "TRUE".

The guys a fool and it shows this by his small fallowing but now with media support/intrusion he prob has thousands of followers and has made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Media power is unreal it just takes a little comman sence and a little intelligence to see through the rubbish they write to sell papers !!!

tony de wonderful 09 September 2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 9590770)

Sadly, it says far more once again about the faith (and its followers) that's supposedly on the receiving end of this 'deeply offensive insult', than it does about the offensive act itself.

Yeah exactly.

It's just one pastor doing the burning not a state.

Christianity has had it's fair share of 'insults' - artists putting Christ in piss for example - but life goes on.

Now we have the ludicrous example of Pakistans interior minister calling interpol to try and get this Pastor arrested, while his country is still flooded!. It's more obscene than the burning this grandstanding and chest beating by Islamic politicians.

SJ_Skyline 09 September 2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 9590751)
So an American church is planning to burn copies of the Koran on September 11th.

This idea is weird.

Burning something in memory of a terrorist plot, on the anniversary of it happening... it would never happen in Britain...........

I would say that a lot more water has passed under the bridge since that plot :lol1:

WRT the OP, we've been here before. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean that it's right to do it.

tony de wonderful 09 September 2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 9590821)
I would say that a lot more water has passed under the bridge since that plot :lol1:

WRT the OP, we've been here before. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean that it's right to do it.

Yeah but when people threaten you with violence if you do something - that you are otherwise free to do - it automatically makes it a stand against bullies.

The Zohan 09 September 2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9590805)
Yeah exactly.

It's just one pastor doing the burning not a state.

Christianity has had it's fair share of 'insults' - artists putting Christ in piss for example - but life goes on.

Now we have the ludicrous example of Pakistans interior minister calling interpol to try and get this Pastor arrested, while his country is still flooded!. It's more obscene than the burning this grandstanding and chest beating by Islamic politicians.

+1

SJ_Skyline 09 September 2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9590830)
Yeah but when people threaten you with violence if you do something - that you are otherwise free to do - it automatically makes it a stand against bullies.

I agree but if we take a step back and someone asks us not to do something we are free to do for a reason then we make a judgement call on how valid that reason is and either stop or carry on.

The pastor in the OP has been globally condemned for his behaviour and yet he is still bent on his course of action. To me it feels like he is simply doing this because he can and the rest of the world can be damned. An interesting approach from a supposed man of god whose religion preaches tolerance and forgiveness...

tony de wonderful 09 September 2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 9591021)
I agree but if we take a step back and someone asks us not to do something we are free to do for a reason then we make a judgement call on how valid that reason is and either stop or carry on.

The pastor in the OP has been globally condemned for his behaviour and yet he is still bent on his course of action. To me it feels like he is simply doing this because he can and the rest of the world can be damned. An interesting approach from a supposed man of god whose religion preaches tolerance and forgiveness...

What reason is valid for not doing this?

dpb 09 September 2010 02:57 PM

He probably wears a white pointed hat and robe of a weekend

:Whatever_

stef_2010 09 September 2010 03:03 PM

I'd quite happily burn one tbh

Xx-IAN-xX 09 September 2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9591092)
He probably wears a white pointed hat and robe of a weekend

:Whatever_

Just what I was thinking:thumb:

EH52WRX 09 September 2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 9589834)
They were going to burn Mohamed teddies but Hasbro made them flame retardant !:lol1:

LMFAO

Lee247 09 September 2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX (Post 9590160)
If he's going to have a fire he may as well chuck some sausages on that would really piss em off :D

I'm sorry folks, but that tickled :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

scoobywrxwagon 09 September 2010 08:00 PM

+1

As wrong as it is I coulnt help but laugh at that lol

06wrx 09 September 2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frosticles (Post 9589251)
Trouble making in the name of Religion yet again :freak3::freak3::freak3:

yep:cuckoo:

hutton_d 09 September 2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 9591021)

Funny how it's only Muslims that respond to stuff like this with violence .... :Suspiciou As *Christians* we/others are meant to *turn the other cheek*. Well, how about Muslims do that for once or STFU!

Dave

Leslie 10 September 2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9591692)
Funny how it's only Muslims that respond to stuff like this with violence .... :Suspiciou As *Christians* we/others are meant to *turn the other cheek*. Well, how about Muslims do that for once or STFU!

Dave

I think you will find its the troublemakers who will do that, and take full advantage of the opportunity too.

They say he has put it all "on hold" for the moment anyway.

Les

Xx-IAN-xX 10 September 2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9593027)

They say he has put it all "on hold" for the moment anyway.

Les

I think his words were on the backburner :D