ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   What coilover suspension? What have you got? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/838443-what-coilover-suspension-what-have-you-got.html)

JohnD 24 June 2010 09:53 PM

Thats noncense, Taiwanese quality control and production methods are far closer to those implemented and worked to in Japan than China. Heres some of the equipment used in BC Racings factory, I dont see any evidence of any dairy based products here:

http://www.apexv8.com/apgallery/inde...vel=album&id=3

Very impressive looking. Maybe it's the experience of a few items that have worn out rather quickly that have clouded my view ( admittedly made in mainland China) Can't help being suspicious, not about tolerances and QC, but more material specification and quality.
With assurances, I could still be convinced!

JohnD

bren@apex 25 June 2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 9464210)
Can't fault that! Looks legit!

Bren what connection do you have with BC Racing?

Thanks
Sam

We are the UK distributer for BC Racing and KSport brakes (just KSport brakes mind, not the ocilovers).

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 9464210)

What Also what do you make of this:

http://www.ek9.org/forum/brakes/2445...ort-story.html

?

Thanks
Sam

I dont know of any connection between KSport and XYZ. I actually asked the KSport outright if XYZ was one of their brands and they said no. I have no reason to disbelieve them.

What I can tell you is that we have sold many many thousands of sets of KSport brake kits over the years and they have proven themselves over and over and over again to be serious competitors for the big brand kits that cost two, three and even four times the amount. I can also tell you that we spent tens of thousands testing and developing the kits in hand with KSport and we went through a batch of issues during the development period, every single one of which were addressed and eradictaed. We changed the rotor material, wall thickness, basic design, bell material, bell design, calipe piston sizes, caliper basic design, bracket design etc etc. We started with a kit and worked and worked on it until we had it at a level that was more than acceptable. The factory have since moved on with the design of the kits repeatidly with multiple changes to caliper design to bring in more rigidity etc.

There is no arguing with how good the brakes are.

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 9464252)
What was the old top mount like, is the new one the rose mount?

Thanks
Sam

There are now four types of rear top mounts available for Imprezas but in practice we only use two:

1) OE style. Maximum complience, now the default rear top mount
2) Aluminium plate, rubber centre. Not an option any more, superceded by mount above.
3) Aluminium plate, rose joint centre. Never really been used on Imprezas because customers pick either option 2 (now superceeded by option1) or option 4.
4) Aluminium plate, camber adjustable rose joint.

So the current main options are 1 for those wanting maximum ride quality or 4 for the more focues vehicles with owners who are prepared to lose some of the ride quality to gain maximum performance.

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 9464295)
Very impressive looking. Maybe it's the experience of a few items that have worn out rather quickly that have clouded my view ( admittedly made in mainland China) Can't help being suspicious, not about tolerances and QC, but more material specification and quality.
With assurances, I could still be convinced!

JohnD

As youll be aware, China produce a massive quantity of products for a huge range of brands. However any big brand will run their own QC and production systems so the quality will be exactly as it should.

However many of the Chinese companies do produce junk, thats just the way it is. We used to spend a lot of time just buying in parts from factories and suppliers all over China and testing them. Some products are superb, some products are only fit for the bin and some products are variable with quality being more than acceptable in the main but with the odd poor product filtering through due to poor QC. We still often deal with these manufacturers but do our own QC in house and bin or work on any products not up to scratch.

In the main I have found that the quality of products manufactured and sold by Taiwanese companies are far better quality. In my experince Taiwanese businesses put far more effort into the manufacturing and QC procedures compared to many of the Chinese manufacturers.

Thats not to say that everything from Taiwan is perfect, youre always going to get tat sold no matter where the country of origin but in the main the Taiwanese products are in a completely different league to Chinese.

Ill do a full write up on BC Racings facilities and production processes when I get some time, even I was hugely impressed by the effort these guys put in despite having been dealing with them for years. Its all hugely reassuring and will open some eyes :)

Saalro 25 June 2010 12:10 PM

Thanks that was a great bit of information and comfort :thumb:

Originally Posted by bren@apex (Post 9464858)
We are the UK distributer for BC Racing and KSport brakes (just KSport brakes mind, not the ocilovers).

I dont know of any connection between KSport and XYZ. I actually asked the KSport outright if XYZ was one of their brands and they said no. I have no reason to disbelieve them.

What I can tell you is that we have sold many many thousands of sets of KSport brake kits over the years and they have proven themselves over and over and over again to be serious competiitors for the big brand kits that cost two, three and even four times the amount. I can also tell you that we spent tens of thousand stesting and developing the kits in hand with KSport and we went through a batch of issues during the development period, every single one of which were addressed and eradictae.d We changed the rotor material, wlal thickness, basic design, bell material, bell design, calipe piston sizes, caliper basic design, bracket design etc etc. We started with a kit and worked and worked on it until we had it at a lever that was more than acceptable. The factory have since moved on with the design of the kits repeadtidly with multiple changes to caliper design to bring in more and more rigidity etc.

There are now four types of rear top mounts available for Imprezas but in practice we only use two:

2) Aluminium plate, rubber centre. Not an option any more, superceded by mount above.
3) Aluminium plate, rose joint centre. Never really been used on Imprezas because customers pick either option 2 (now superceeded by option1) or option 4.

So the current main options are 1 for those wanting maximum ride quality or 4 for the more focues vehicles with owners who are prepared to lose some of the ride quality to gain maximum performance.

As youll be aware, China produce a massive quantity of products for a huge range of brands. However any big brand will run their own QC and production systems so the quality will be exactly as it should.

However many of the Chinese companies do produce junk, thats just the way it is. We used to spend a lot of time just buying in parts from factories and suppliers all over China and testing them. Some products are superb, some products are only fit for the bin and some products are variable with quality being more than acceptable in the main but with the odd poor product filtering through due to poor QC. We still often deal with these manufacturers but do our own QC in house and bin or work on any products not up to scratch.

In the main I have found that the quality of products manufactured and sold by Taiwanese companies are far better quality. In my experince Taiwanese businesses put far more effort into the manufacturing and QC procedures compared to many of the Chinese manufacturers.

Thats not to say that everything from Taiwan is perfect, youre always going to get tat sold no matter where the country of origin but in the main the Taiwanese products are in a completely different league to Chinese.

Ill do a full write up on BC Racings facilities and production processes when I get some time, even I was hugely impressed by the effort these guys put in despite having been dealing with them for years. Its all hugely reassuring and will open some eyes :)

davedipster 25 June 2010 05:36 PM

Hi,
I have BC coilovers BR series on my 03sti ppp. Fitted then one very cold and snowy day in Feb last year.
Running std rate springs 6front and 5rear with pillowball camber adjustable mounts front and back. Bought them from apex last year on a group buy on here (they even threw in some Rock!)
They are great for a daily driver and backroad blasts, the differance when I changed was so amazing I guess either the BC's are really really good, or the std sti shocks I had where shot? from most accounts I have read it' a combination of both!
Fitting was real easy as the units are shorter so easier to get in place, the brake line brackets are all in place, real good quality stuff.

And no I don't work for BC/Apex :)

dipster

mrmarc 25 June 2010 06:58 PM

big fan of the bc's here.

ive had teins in the past and there is no difference in the quality IMHO

just a difference in price.

ive got alot of confidence in the bc's fitted to my car and the back up service from apex if any problems occur.

to the OP...go for the bc's you wont regret it.

Saalro 26 June 2010 11:20 AM

Deleted

fmp 26 June 2010 12:41 PM

I run Cusco Zero2E's.

Cusco make some of the best stuff in the world.

they will always get my monies!

Saalro 27 June 2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by bren@apex (Post 9464858)

What I can tell you is that we have sold many many thousands of sets of KSport brake kits over the years and they have proven themselves over and over and over again to be serious competitors for the big brand kits that cost two, three and even four times the amount. I can also tell you that we spent tens of thousands testing and developing the kits in hand with KSport and we went through a batch of issues during the development period, every single one of which were addressed and eradictaed. We changed the rotor material, wall thickness, basic design, bell material, bell design, calipe piston sizes, caliper basic design, bracket design etc etc. We started with a kit and worked and worked on it until we had it at a level that was more than acceptable. The factory have since moved on with the design of the kits repeatidly with multiple changes to caliper design to bring in more rigidity etc.

D2 the same factory as K Sport?

Thanks for all the help people!

Thanks