ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   It just doesn't add up anymore, does it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/829198-it-just-doesnt-add-up-anymore-does-it.html)

pslewis 26 April 2010 01:37 AM

Don't want a Saloon ... and the UK isn't getting one anyway!

Steve001 26 April 2010 01:47 AM

not what i heard :p

SimonD 26 April 2010 07:07 AM

The saloon is definitely coming in the STi but I'm not sure about the WRX.
My MY00 has 65k on the clock and I reckon I'll be keeping it for at least another 2-3 years. A car would have to be really special to warrant that road tax - the Impreza isn't there anymore.

pslewis 26 April 2010 08:52 AM

I've been doing some research on the Mazda6 2.2D Sport ... thinking that's where I may jump. Turns out that the Mazda Diesel engines have big issues ... something to do with a Diesel Purge Filter or something? The oil level rises in the sump somehow and damages the engine and CATs at big expense - is there any new car free of faults? :rolleyes:

Abx 26 April 2010 08:57 AM

What a standard car with no mods whatsover failing, thats unheard of!!!!

Steve001 26 April 2010 09:32 AM

dare i say it ;) volvo c3?

Guv 26 April 2010 09:56 AM

Your totally right , its just doesn't add up at all:eek:, road tax, fuel, cost to the enviroment.............do the right thing sell your scoob and make your return to scoobynet short lived and give us some peace from your dumb ass threads:hjtwofing

Steve001 26 April 2010 11:04 AM

:lol:

matt-c 26 April 2010 11:56 AM

What does not add up is all these people who are like MPG this, depreciation that,running costs something else etc etc.

The Impreza was NEVER a "sensible" car, not 2 years ago, not 5 years ago.

We on Scoobynet are generally motoring enthusiasts and that means that such points as those above are ignored in favour of the pleasure we get from driving a high performance car either Scooby or something else.

Sure the latest diesel what not is quite nippy etc, and I'm sure it's cheaper to run, however, referance the point above I and many others on this forum do not care.

At some point when the tax guru's have thier way i will no longer be able to afford to run the car, then likely i will start moaning and saying that other cars are better anyway.

So, being devils advocate my point is this, the Impreza is STILL a desirable car, it's just that fewer and fewer can either afford to run them, or can justify it to themselves (which a lot of people seem to have to do).

The trade doesn't want them because of the small numbers in the market to buy them, not beacause they are not very good cars and everyone has grown up and are no longer interested in performance motoring.

Sorry for the long post, I had a great drive yesterday, cost me a fortune in fuel, but i had pleasure, i hope that continues, if growing up means i'm driving a diesel, then i don't want to grow up. It's unlikely anyway, nearly 40 now.

pslewis 26 April 2010 01:39 PM

Point taken .... but, the harsh reality is that the Civic 140BHP Diesel I took out yesterday gave me, very nearly, just as much fun as my Impreza .... which shocked me!!

More shocking is that it does it and returns 55mpg, it does it with a Road Tax bill of £100, it does it with 'extras' which Subaru owners can only drool about .... it's a sad, sad, day when a Diesel Civic can make more sense to a petrolhead than an Impreza Turbo - but, that day has arrived ...

I am desperately clinging to the thought I can justify the extra costs of a Subaru ... but, we know the Road Tax will just increase massively in the next year or two - I fully expect it to be £900 in 2 years time :eek:

matt-c 26 April 2010 02:20 PM

Pete, are you totally sure that there is not something else going on?

I mean, you go out in a sparkly new car, it feels nippy, you like the interior or features, no squeaks or rattles and smells nice would that feeling last though?

Is there not an element of novelty when one takes out a new car which your old faithful which you know inside out can never compete with?

I've had a lot of fun in a 1L Micra hire car, doesn't mean i'm going to buy one.

If you genuinely prefer the Civic, then of course it's your choice, but i doubt you will convince many Scooby drivers.

SimonD 26 April 2010 04:06 PM

It's easy to forget that the Impreza was launched as competition for the Civic and Corolla.
I'm pretty sure this is a Subaru site, not just a people who want to modify (and fix ;)) Imprezas site. Many just want a well engineered performance version of a practical car rather than a balls out rally clone. The frustration with Subaru is the lack of choice when it comes to model selection and the fact that the engines are 10 years behind the times in terms of efficiency. All BMW 3s produce less than 225g/km of CO2 - a lot less. Even the 300+ hp n/a 3 litre six produces only 202g/km.
Why does a 2.5 turbo producing only 225hp knock out 246g/km. If there were any truth in the suggestion that the WRX is going to be dropped it would be because anyone prepared to pay £400+ for road tax is going to want more performance than the WRX can offer. Unless they can reduce the CO2 output of the WRX to below 225g/km, even those who prefer it to the STi are going to think twice before buying.

scooby-tc 26 April 2010 04:12 PM

my 5 series 3.0 twin turbo only produces 211g/cm so cheap tax,cheap running costs,better built,quicker in a lot of circumstances :thumb:

after 11 years of impreza ownership its a no brainer

SimonD 26 April 2010 04:17 PM

Unfortunately I know all this and have a BMW dealer 10 minutes walk away but I still want a Subaru.......... just not one they're selling at the moment!

pslewis 26 April 2010 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 9365167)
Pete, are you totally sure that there is not something else going on?

I mean, you go out in a sparkly new car, it feels nippy, you like the interior or features, no squeaks or rattles and smells nice would that feeling last though?

Is there not an element of novelty when one takes out a new car which your old faithful which you know inside out can never compete with?

I've had a lot of fun in a 1L Micra hire car, doesn't mean i'm going to buy one.

If you genuinely prefer the Civic, then of course it's your choice, but i doubt you will convince many Scooby drivers.

There's nothing else going on that I'm not fully aware of .... indeed I got back in my Impreza Wagon and knew why I chose it all those years ago, it's still a great car (no new car smell can influence that).

I took out the Type R Civic before the Diesel Civic and, personally, wasn't taken by it - who the hell wants to rev the nuts off a car to get it to go? Heck, I rarely go over 3000 RPM in my Impreza! No need to and I don't want to scream an engine at 9000 RPM!!

The Diesel Civic, however, was a different animal - I really, really enjoyed driving it ... nothing to do with toys or new car smell at all - just pure driving pleasure.

Align that pleasure with really sensible costs and you have something which, to me, is pretty much unbeatable ..... 55 mpg ..... £100 Road Tax ...... cheap Insurance I would imagine? Reliability built in (like a Subaru).

I don't want to, but I think I'm going to have to say bye, bye Subaru ..... of course, keeping my old girl is the cheapest option of all ..... but time marches on, we all get old and start creaking.

pslewis 10 August 2010 06:29 PM

Been wandering around AutoTrader ... I see that there are Impreza WRX HatchBacks for £10,000 ... a bit of haggling and they could be had for £9250. That's a 57 Plate with 20,000 miles.

Reading today about the £6 a Gallon about to materialise and the 15% hike in Insurance Premiums .... it just gets worse for the Impreza doesn't it? :(

I'm enjoying my Honda Civic Diesel and its 55 mpg ... I'm sure I will enjoy buying my £110 Car Tax in 12 months time and even my Insurance at £200 a year won't worry me too much ... I'm also enjoying the 340Nm of Torque at my disposal :)

As I said many months ago, and it's getting worse, it just doesn't add up anymore - does it?

Wilky_Boy 10 August 2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 9361513)
Bum fun?

Ha !!! Class !!!!!!!! :lol1:

pslewis 10 August 2010 08:59 PM

Funny for those who are not in touch with their feminine side ...... :razz:

EdwardH 10 August 2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9540755)
I'm enjoying my Honda Civic Diesel and its 55 mpg ... I'm sure I will enjoy buying my £110 Car Tax in 12 months time and even my Insurance at £200 a year won't worry me too much ... I'm also enjoying the 340Nm of Torque at my disposal :)

As I said many months ago, and it's getting worse, it just doesn't add up anymore - does it?

just chopped my 55 wrx wagon for a 10my Legacy diesel; it is a great car and Subaru have really moved the game on; build, refinement, equipment, diesel..... but still with scooby values

With brand new wrx's at 15ish then 9 k prices on 20k 2 year old car is not odd; original wrx list price was what £17,995? Not a big shift?

The Rig 10 August 2010 09:51 PM

Thing is,you cant keep burbling on (see what i did there) about other cars being better etc when they are in such a different league

My missus is high maintenance/expensive but god she looks gurd and pleasures well too,yet i could go for a 40+ lass who would be cheap as cook dinner every night but buck like a deflated blowup and look like boris johnson

each to their own,you cant compare

now if you had bought an Evo 10 and could boast those figures,then touche !

pslewis 10 August 2010 10:42 PM

You can compare ..... as you just have with your two versions of your missus ..... I didn't know your girl was 40+!!
:D

Cannon Fodder 10 August 2010 11:02 PM

This is now getting monotonous. :sleep:

Same old twaddle rehashed if you prefer the Civic to the current Impreza then fair enough but what happened to the wide bodied WRX you were purchasing and banging on about a couple of months ago? :wonder:

Impreza's have always have and will be expensive cars to insure, fuel and keep on the road. :rolleyes:

And by the way your Civic diesel does not appear to be particularly brilliant on the MPG front either, I own a Peugeot 2.0 HDi and quite easily get 60MPG without even trying. :lol1:

pslewis 10 August 2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 9541414)
This is now getting monotonous. :sleep:

But I will still READ every word

Compose a reply

Post it up

Respond once again to the same stuff I find monotonous

Read every word

Compose a reply

Post it up

Respond once again to the same stuff I find monotonous

Read every word ..... and on I go like a merry go round not able to get off

Edited in the interests of accuracy for all our readers ....

:lol:

Bubba po 10 August 2010 11:26 PM

Why don't you answer his questions, Pete?

Cannon Fodder 10 August 2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 9541460)
Why don't you answer his questions, Pete?

Because quite frankly he cannot give any cogent answers...;)

Cannon Fodder 10 August 2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9541449)
I mis-quote and edit other peoples posts because they are better than my own

Nice to see you finally post something with a basis of fact Pete. :p

VinceW 11 August 2010 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9540755)
Been wandering around AutoTrader ... I see that there are Impreza WRX HatchBacks for £10,000 ... a bit of haggling and they could be had for £9250. That's a 57 Plate with 20,000 miles.

Reading today about the £6 a Gallon about to materialise and the 15% hike in Insurance Premiums .... it just gets worse for the Impreza doesn't it? :(

Bored bored bored! This is a Subaru forum, why do you keep going on about a Honda? People who run Subaru's do so out of choice and are prepared to pay the running costs, normally for the performance and handling that your Honda can only aspire to. You chose a Honda so why not preach on a Honda forum.....or are you still banned?

73henny 11 August 2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by VinceW (Post 9541554)
Bored bored bored! This is a Subaru forum, why do you keep going on about a Honda? People who run Subaru's do so out of choice and are prepared to pay the running costs, normally for the performance and handling that your Honda can only aspire to. You chose a Honda so why not preach on a Honda forum.....or are you still banned?

+1 :thumb:

PJ-STI 11 August 2010 05:29 PM

I work for Honda and some of the things I see are shocking:eek: Let's say I would not buy a Honda:nono:

Coffin Dodger 11 August 2010 05:29 PM

Getting some bites today Granddad :D