ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Judge says Sikhs should be able to carry knife in school. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/815016-judge-says-sikhs-should-be-able-to-carry-knife-in-school.html)

The Zohan 08 February 2010 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver (Post 9211442)
:lol: pmsl, wind up merchant :thumb:

If it wasn't the Muslims it would have been the Jews, they are sneaky feckers!;)

urban 08 February 2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r (Post 9211564)
life is all about adjusting to accomidate everyone.

No its not

Thats why most peoples backs are up in the UK with regards to foreign requests - because we're always accomodating others over our own.
But hey - it is their religious right though to carry a dagger :rolleyes:
So we may as well just fcuking roll over again and take another.

urban 08 February 2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 9211572)
If it wasn't the Muslims it would have been the Jews, they are sneaky feckers!;)

With their big noses ;)

cster 08 February 2010 05:48 PM

Maybe OK if the blade is made of rubber?:thumb:

SinghSuperStud 08 February 2010 05:56 PM

Hi,

being a Sikh please allow me to try and add some knowledge behind it all:

Baptised Sikhs wear the 5-K's as they are commonly referred: These are the only people who carry a Kirpan (dagger).

There are people who carry a sizeable Kirpan but this is always sheathed, blunt and cannot sometimes be drawn. Some people, especially when they travel and have to deal with security issues etc wear a mini-kirpan which is a small replica on a necklace around their neck. I personally think this is pointless but that's another topic for another forum.

The Kirpan was given to us not to harm but to defend, not just ourselves but others. Please bear in mind this is in a country and during a time where it was very turbulent and Sikhs were massacred and had a lot do deal with. It may not have the same requirements in modern society but I think its important to understand the importance and background behind something that many may find trivial.

Religion is a thing that some people find pointless and others find dear and we've had the religious threads by the boatload on here :)

Whilst I understand people's anger at this ruling Sikhs are generally a lawful and peaceful people and as the recent case of the Sikh guy who got killed whilst giving chase to criminals confirms - we do try to do the right thing.

Jai

Alarmeng 08 February 2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9210917)
I'm sick and tired of all this islam/muslim beliefs shyte.

Fcuk off from our country - you're destroying it

If you want to live in our country then abide by our rules fullstop or fcuk off.

We need to clamp down on this absurd nonsense via judicial means and show that we mean business and won't be pressurised by the "racial" card.

Ditto

rickya 08 February 2010 06:05 PM

I come from a Sikh culture & do think that its not really a good idea to allow kids to take anything to school that could be used as a weapon. This could be anything from catapaults to snooker cues etc & even a kirpan (blunted knife) could even be used against the kid wearing it by someone else. I think its more a matter of Health & Saftey than religion, especially in this day & age.

The Zohan 08 February 2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by impreza_sports_nutter (Post 9211701)
Hi,

Baptised Sikhs wear the 5-K's as they are commonly referred: These are the only people who carry a Kirpan (dagger).

There are people who carry a sizeable Kirpan but this is always sheathed, blunt and cannot sometimes be drawn. Some people, especially when they travel and have to deal with security issues etc wear a mini-kirpan which is a small replica on a necklace around their neck. I personally think this is pointless but that's another topic for another forum.

The Kirpan was given to us not to harm but to defend, not just ourselves but others. Please bear in mind this is in a country and during a time where it was very turbulent and Sikhs were massacred and had a lot do deal with. It may not have the same requirements in modern society but I think its important to understand the importance and background behind something that many may find trivial.

Religion is a thing that some people find pointless and others find dear and we've had the religious threads by the boatload on here :)

Whilst I understand people's anger at this ruling Sikhs are generally a lawful and peaceful people and as the recent case of the Sikh guy who got killed whilst giving chase to criminals confirms - we do try to do the right thing.

Jai

I hear what you say and thank you for explaining why and how.:)
Not wishing to be offensive or belittle Sikh's - i am pretty surre that there has not been a massacre of Sikh's in the UK or even Europe. UK laws prevent knives eing carried for protection and it seems madness to exclude one section of society from this, either no one is allowed or we all 'carry' - or have the choice to anyway.

Many years ago the English carried knives, pickaxes, pikes and swords for protection against maurauding vikings, romans, french and zee Germans (amongst others) over the years. we do not carry these now unless in the armed forces or on ceremonial occasions and certianly not to school.

For me the crux is allowing children to carry knives to school. I have two children at school and would not be comfortable with any children who are allowed to bring in daggers/knives for any reason.

Having the knife in school may lead to it being stolen or even taken off of a 'responsible' child in the heat of playground battle and it being used in anger - many scenarios just like that and that's why 'no knives in school'

I would remove my child from any school that allows other children to carry a knife.

Yet again the law is being made an ass of and more bad feelings stirred up.

It really should be a simple case of fit in or feck off

The Zohan 08 February 2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by rickya (Post 9211735)
I come from a Sikh culture & do think that its not really a good idea to allow kids to take anything to school that could be used as a weapon. This could be anything from catapaults to snooker cues etc & even a kirpan (blunted knife) could even be used against the kid wearing it by someone else. I think its more a matter of Health & Saftey than religion, especially in this day & age.

spot on!

J4CKO 08 February 2010 06:46 PM

Sometimes I do wonder whether there is sometimes a real objection or just an opportunity to have a moan, I do not see the issue if a Sikh boy is allowed to carry a symbolic dagger, not a real one, something that satifies religous observance and does not fall foul of the weapons legislation, its not that complicated and it isn't rolling over, my kids have toy weapons that arent going to harm, or fool anybody and guess what, when they do school plays and the like, they take them in, shock horror !!

Surely the Sikh leaders can get together with Teachers, the Police and any other agency that feels the need to join in and develop a Kirpan specifically to be suitable for Sikh lads to carry at school, the Sikh community would have to accept the school's right to inspect a Kirpan and confiscate it if it isnt suitable, religous or not, if its the holy Grail itself, if it is capable of harm it shouldnt be in a school.

There is no point p1ssing the Sikhs off and no need to allow Sikh boys to carry a huge knife, a compromise can be found, if someone is so intent on injuring another then they will find a way, if all a school sanctioned Kirpan can do is induce chafing then they will either forget about it or go and find something more effective like those things for drawing circles, a ruler or a million and one other things.

Whilst people fanny about worrying about this there are scores of little toerags going round with "uncermonial" daggers in theri schoolbags, killing each other, these arent Sikhs based on my observations.

Lee247 08 February 2010 08:28 PM

Hi,

Jai

Great post, thanks for giving me an incite into your religion :)

I would not be happy at all, to think any person of any religion was allowed to carry a knife, especially to a school.
Young lads are notorious for scrapping after school, and I don't believe for one minute, the temptation to use said knife would not enter anyones head.
What is disturbing is the fact this "Judge" thinks it should be alright. If that is the case, he should not be a Judge. Would he think it is ok for the Scots to wear a knife in their sock (I think they do whilst wearing a kilt). I very much doubt he would view this the same way. There should never be one rule for one and another for everyone else. Makes for serious unrest.
I am all for people wearing their religious symbols with pride, I myself wear a crucifix and woe betide anyone who tells me I should not. But a crucifix is not a dangerous weapon.

Hopefully this won't offend any Scoobynet Sikhs, wear your other symbols with pride and leave your Kirpan at home :thumb:

Petem95 08 February 2010 08:36 PM

The judge is clearly totally out-of-touch with society. Of course it's crazy to suggest taking weapons to school is ok.

I'm surprised at this from a Sikh judge to be honest. In my experience Sikh's have very good values and don't try to force their beliefs on others, or generally put their relgion before the laws of the land, but this guy has not done Sikhs any favours with this ill thoughtout comment.

alcazar 08 February 2010 09:25 PM

No, they don't force their beliefs on others, just insist and lo and behold the law changes for them;)
Sikh bus drivers/train drivers that didn't have to wear the uniform caps? Sikhs who don't have to wear proper motorcycle helmets? The judge in this one who didn't have to wear a wig because he wanted to wear a turban?

Dingdongler 08 February 2010 10:33 PM

Scoobynet at its best as always. People prepared to pass judgement on something they know nothing about.

To the extent where one Irish retard thinks sikh's are muslims ffs!

As far as I know the 'dagger' is but a symbol, it is not a real dagger. It is blunted to the extent that a ball point pen would probably be more dangerous. As mentioned before they are often sealed into the sheath anyway.

The backward on here love to come and shout their mouths off about non stories regarding peoples they have no knowledge of, swearing blind that they are threatening their so called way of life. A way of life that obviously never involves reading a book or traveling beyond Benidorm.

Alcazar, we were very happy to allow the sikhs not to wear helmets when they fought with us during the first and second world wars, but its now a big deal if they don't want to wear a bus drivers cap? Get a grip.

Comments of British Generals Regarding Sikh Soldiers

Guv 08 February 2010 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9210917)
I'm sick and tired of all this islam/muslim beliefs shyte.

Fcuk off from our country - you're destroying it

If you want to live in our country then abide by our rules fullstop or fcuk off.

We need to clamp down on this absurd nonsense via judicial means and show that we mean business and won't be pressurised by the "racial" card.

guess you said the same to the catholics :eek: and how long has that mess taken to sort out?

Terminator X 08 February 2010 10:49 PM

Hold on, what about the poor vampires :wonder:

TX.

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 9212161)
I am all for people wearing their religious symbols with pride, I myself wear a crucifix and woe betide anyone who tells me I should not. But a crucifix is not a dangerous weapon.

Dingdongler 08 February 2010 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9212693)

TX.

And that bird from the Exorcist did some damage with one as well.:eek:

BOB.T 08 February 2010 11:13 PM

Jai, I don't mean to single you out, just to pick up on the above :) Essentially what you've said implies that the physical Kirpan is now, in a modern society, completely irrelevant. In our society you can't defend yourself with a knife, in our society you can't defend others with a knife. The 'knife' Sikhs carry isn't even an actual knife! There seems to me, to be no practical reason to carry it.

Remember it, yes. Teach folk about it, yes. Keep one in the home, fine. Carry one about, I don't see the point. :)

Just my view, not being religionist! :D I'd say the same about any religion trying to justify carrying a 'weapon'.

Lee247 08 February 2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9212693)

TX.

You goon :lol1::lol1::lol1:

Dingdongler, I sincerely hope you are not including me in your generalisation of peoples opinions !!!!

impreza_sports_nutter's post was excellent in enlightening me on his religion. It was good to read and learn, but it still has not changed my opinion of daggers/knives, blunt or not. School is not the place for them, end of :thumb:
I doubt God would be too upset to not having them in place for a few hours a day :)

RA Dunk 08 February 2010 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9212634)
Scoobynet at its best as always. People prepared to pass judgement on something they know nothing about.

As far as I know the 'dagger' is but a symbol, it is not a real dagger. It is blunted to the extent that a ball point pen would probably be more dangerous. As mentioned before they are often sealed into the sheath anyway.

The backward on here love to come and shout their mouths off about non stories regarding peoples they have no knowledge of, swearing blind that they are threatening their so called way of life. A way of life that obviously never involves reading a book or traveling beyond Benidorm.

Alcazar, we were very happy to allow the sikhs not to wear helmets when they fought with us during the first and second world wars, but its now a big deal if they don't want to wear a bus drivers cap? Get a grip.

Rules are rules, there should not be a different rule for every religion living here

chris270181 09 February 2010 12:12 AM

and now in other war torn countries people carry ak47s for protection...

ScoobyWon't 09 February 2010 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9211346)

Regardless though, my point is you are in the United Kingdom and you will abide by our rules

But is it a united kingdom? :wonder:

Martin2005 09 February 2010 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9212634)

Finally someone with a brain comments on this issue

For those who so idiotically say 'feck off back to your own country', I've got news for you retards, this IS THEIR COUNTRY

RA Dunk 09 February 2010 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9212884)

For those who so idiotically say 'feck off back to your own country', I've got news for you retards, this IS THEIR COUNTRY

Yes but it's "our" laws!

Martin2005 09 February 2010 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9212889)
Yes but it's "our" laws!

Pressumably you mean ALL our laws, not just some white christian set of rules

RA Dunk 09 February 2010 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9212891)
Pressumably you mean ALL our laws, not just some white christian set of rules

Ok then it's ALL of our laws, so why dosent it apply to ALL of our people?

Martin2005 09 February 2010 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9212896)
Ok then it's ALL of our laws, so why dosent it apply to ALL of our people?

I'm not sure anyone is arguing that it shouldn't

RA Dunk 09 February 2010 12:39 AM

Good :)

BOB.T 09 February 2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9212900)
I'm not sure anyone is arguing that it shouldn't

Weird cos I thought that was the whole point of the thread?! Or is it that any kid should be allowed to carry a knife into school? :wonder:

The Zohan 09 February 2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9212884)

In your 'not so humble i am always right 'cause i say so' opinion eh Martin.

You belittle pretty much everyone who dares to disagree with you and you view yet you get all upset when people then come back at you or insult you (as in so many other threads on SN), it takes a real man to give it and then take it on the chin when it comes back.

Martin - Question - Do you think anyone should be allowed to carry a knife in school and why?

It appears that in the UK the strict laws governing this can be broken on the grounds of religion.
This is not right.
No knives in school - it is very simple, no child carries a knife to school, ceremonial or not.

If people/immigrants/second/third/fourth generations of people coming here for a better life cannot accept this then they need to change to fit in or leave. This is not feck off you immigrant scum, this is simply how is must be.

People coming here and not fitting in, not accepting our rules, our laws our ways (the good stuff) then we have a problem, remember 7/7 home grown bombers and the murderers of innocent men women and children.

I have some news for you, 'This is their country' - wrong Martin, wrong!
pathtic statements like that from the wholley minded and cowardly, accepting those who come here to do not want to fit in, accept the laws and culture are the reasons we have a lot of the problems we have now with the likes of the BNP, Choudry, racisim on both sides and possibly worsening/bigger divides and friction.

Thank you NL and the likes of Martin, your 'thinking'(for want of a more approriate word) is why we are getting in the mess we are in.

I have no problem with those who come here and want to 'join in' be part of the community, this country and contribute in a positive way - as long as we have the room, resources and jobs to sustain those already here and those who wish to come.

Blimey - more than a ''feck off you darkies' from a DM reading, right wing, obviously wrong, racist dimwit!