ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Dross forum? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/812149-the-dross-forum.html)

Devildog 27 January 2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9184283)
Can you explain just what you mean by trolling then? Does that include stating your own opinion even if others don't agree?

Les

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 9184969)
The deliberate use of words/phrases/comments that are designed to incite a reaction which can be taken in context as being solely for that purpose.

Les, see here and here

for plenty of examples of trolling :D

SunnySideUp 27 January 2010 08:28 PM

The deliberate use of words/phrases/comments that are designed to incite a reaction which can be taken in context as being solely for that purpose.

:lol:

Flawed.

I would love to see an opening post on SN NOT designed to incite a reaction!

If there is such a thread, that thread, obviously, would have no replies - as a reaction is not required!

"What Mod. Should I Do First?" is a post designed to incite a reaction which can be taken in context as being solely for that purpose .... as the poster wishes a response.

"What size breasts are best" is a post designed to incite a reaction which can be taken in context as being solely for that purpose .... as the poster wishes a response.

Any question is is a post designed to incite a reaction which can be taken in context as being solely for that purpose.

Spoon 27 January 2010 08:51 PM

Ah yes, the mantra of the weak minded unable to either ignore comments or challenge successfully. By mentioning the word trolling you get someone else to do the job for you. The new British way. :rolleyes:

Jamie 27 January 2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 9185057)
Les, see here and here

for plenty of examples of trolling :D

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. :lol1:

SunnySideUp 27 January 2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 9185547)
Ah yes, the mantra of the weak minded unable to either ignore comments or challenge successfully.

Absolutely Spot-On ......

Spoon 27 January 2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9185596)
Absolutely Spot-On ......

Yes because those that understand can clearly see you run and hide for a time if you are challenged correctly. :thumb:

That is of course unless someone has cried to teacher beforehand and your thread gets vaped. :)

SunnySideUp 27 January 2010 09:37 PM

Very astute of you ..... ;)

Leslie 28 January 2010 12:07 PM

Thanks for the definition.

If you take that literally then, it means that no one can post an opinion which anyone else on the forum disagrees with!

Isn't a forum designed for discussion anyway?

I have several other points to make which I will post in Policy rather than here.

Les

StickyMicky 28 January 2010 12:11 PM

Posting humor is technically trolling as well ?

You post to make people react, you are ZE TROLL!

Spoon 28 January 2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9186640)
Posting humor is technically trolling as well ?

You post to make people react, you are ZE TROLL!

As 'humor' is American that just comes under dross. :D

Devildog 28 January 2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9185578)
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. :lol1:

Arse :lol1:

Devildog 28 January 2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9185716)
Very astute of you ..... ;)

Especially the "running and hiding" part :D

cster 28 January 2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9186634)
Thanks for the definition.

If you take that literally then, it means that no one can post an opinion which anyone else on the forum disagrees with!

Isn't a forum designed for discussion anyway?

I have several other points to make which I will post in Policy rather than here.

Les

Not really when you take into consideration the "being solely for that purpose." part of the definition, as that implies the point of the trolling is not to instigate discussion.
Would you not agree?
It is all very subjective and does call for a degree of judgement.
Anyway - I think a better name for the forum would be "The toilet".

Leslie 29 January 2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9187250)
Not really when you take into consideration the "being solely for that purpose." part of the definition, as that implies the point of the trolling is not to instigate discussion.
Would you not agree?
It is all very subjective and does call for a degree of judgement.
Anyway - I think a better name for the forum would be "The toilet".

I am afraid I can't agree. If you state an opinion on a forum then it is very likely that will promote a discussion. If you state that opinion with the intention of starting a discussion are you going to say that is "trolling"?

In that case, your last remark in your post above can only be construed as "trolling"!

Les :rolleyes:

cster 29 January 2010 05:01 PM

Sorry - perhaps not very clear
"that are designed to incite a reaction which can be taken in context as being solely for that purpose."
The point being the purpose of eliciting a reaction as opposed to a discussion.
One could be obtuse/pedantic and say there is no differentiation I suppose.

DCI Gene Hunt 29 January 2010 05:03 PM

Some of SNets finest moments have been placed in Dross..... depends on who's doing the placing ;)

SunnySideUp 29 January 2010 05:49 PM

The placing of threads into various Dross Forums/Zones was done by SdB in his final days whilst preparing SN for sale ..... yes, some of the finest moment in SN are buried there - quite why they started being used again is confusing as it lacks the clarity and transparency which the owners wish to see.

Jamie 29 January 2010 06:40 PM

Transparency you say :)

SunnySideUp 29 January 2010 08:22 PM

So they tell me ..... unless you know different?

You speak in tongues sometimes!

Leslie 30 January 2010 11:26 AM

SN should be above having such a forum in my opinion. Drags it down!

Les