ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   SN member still owes me £100. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/807578-sn-member-still-owes-me-100-a.html)

billythekid 31 December 2009 04:47 PM

You have to be mad to let someone drive off with your car when its not fully paid for.

Got to say I dont think you will ever see that money.

Sorry.

boab74 31 December 2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9127541)
When I used to buy cars, the spreading of money was one of the tricks .... my brother would keep some money in his pockets, I would in mine and the car would contain some in the glovebox.

Then, you 'collect' every 'last penny' you have by borrowing off your brother, finding car park money, the kids pocket money, the wifes shopping money ....... it's a trick.

But, I always paid what I owed before I took the car away .... these days it seems that everyone wants something for nothing, sad.

The spreading of money is always a good one but you have to pay, its sad to say but honesty seems to be dying out for a lot of people.

I even feel guilty when i owe somebody in work for a cup of tea (20p) & forget to give it to them.

Boro 31 December 2009 06:36 PM

Well guys. After much texting, threats of legal action and posting here and on the 106 owners club where he looking for bits and pieces. He offered £50 which I have reluctantly accepted :-/

It's not in my nature to compromise when I know I'm in the right but it's done now and sitting in paypal. Hopefully that's it!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest on the blame thing and a valuable lesson learned!

dpb 31 December 2009 06:47 PM

Im afraid its your fault for being so generous at the time , i really wouldnt bother small claims :rolleyes:

If he was younger and knowing the way petrol is rising id be having a rye snigger - hell be spending the difference on juice in no time

SunnySideUp 31 December 2009 06:51 PM

Sorted, and before the New Year .... good.

Scooby Hoo? 31 December 2009 06:52 PM

I personally would go and recover the vehicle then retain it until the £100 + your costs has been paid in full. You should advise the Police once you have secured the car to avert the car being registered stolen. I assume that you have not issued a receipt transferring ownership. If you haven't he is not the legal owner of your car.
Remember to include all out of pocket expenses when snatching your car back.

Boro 31 December 2009 06:59 PM

Like i said, lesson learned. Its a shame people like this spoil it for the more honest people. I have always tried to give people the benefit of the doubt but in future i will be a bit less trusting, which is a shame.

Plus, karma is a bitch :D

Fabioso 31 December 2009 07:31 PM

The guy owes you £100 regardless of what faults he found on the car.

I still think you should name and shame him as it would interesting to see what excuses he comes up.....I mean to not have all the money in the first place sounds bloody suspect.......

The other side of the coin here is don't trust anyone when it comes to selling stuff, make sure you have in your hand what's owed before you let the goods go and that includes family and friends.......sad but I learnt that from experience :(

Bravo2zero_sps 31 December 2009 07:39 PM

Name and shame the tw4t so we all know who to avoid on here. Also point him at this thread so he can see how everyone thinks what a fcukwit he is.

Ciaran 31 December 2009 08:07 PM

I have learned never trust anybody. If they want your car make them pay every penny you agree or walk away. I have mates who promise they will give you £20 you lend them in the pub and have to wait months never mind somebody I have never met.

Jamo 01 January 2010 11:36 AM

leave him a negative feedback for the sale, thats what its there for mate. id say its clear who he is from the thread I posted. :lol1:

Boro 01 January 2010 12:50 PM

I've taken Markus's & Shaggy's advice and left him negative feedback using iTrader. Like they said, thats what its for.

If he'd done the right thing and paid the £100 in full then that would have been the end of it, but as it stands at the moment he has only paid £50. So strictly speaking still owes me.

£100 is neither here nor there, but people who agree a price then come up with all kinds of excuses 2 weeks later for not paying should not be allowed to get away with it.

I've learned a lesson, i hope he has too.

GMballistic 01 January 2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 9128777)
I've taken Markus's & Shaggy's advice and left him negative feedback using iTrader. Like they said, thats what its for.

If he'd done the right thing and paid the £100 in full then that would have been the end of it, but as it stands at the moment he has only paid £50. So strictly speaking still owes me.

£100 is neither here nor there, but people who agree a price then come up with all kinds of excuses 2 weeks later for not paying should not be allowed to get away with it.

I've learned a lesson, i hope he has too.

Pity your £50 down, but glad you got atleast half of what you where owed:luxhello:. And you never know.....like you said Karma is a bitch, maybe the engine will go and cost him a small fortune. Happy New Year and glad thats one less thing for you to stress over in 2010:thumb:

cjquicksilver 01 January 2010 06:14 PM

name and shame, wel its me! im not hiding as im not coward, im standing by my rights, as i have a 2 page a4 sheet of engeneers report on the car with problems that as listed as a excellent runner that pulls wel, with a couple of problems, i said id drop the car back with him for a refund of my money and my old car back as i know that was road worthy!
a gti with fuked rings, coil pack failure, slipping clutch, electrics that set hazzards off while driving, doesnt lock as wont re open as no locks on the car and batt fails, rear dampers poped seals, rear interior leaks likea sive and is socking wet, wholes in the rear body kit were filler fallen out the list continues!!!

dpb 01 January 2010 06:18 PM

But you still drove it away .....:Suspiciou

fatscoobfella1 01 January 2010 06:25 PM

It would have been prudent to get an engineers report BEFORE you bought the car you dullard..

Pay the man the money you owe him.You agreed to the deal,honour it you weasel..

davyboy 01 January 2010 06:29 PM

I can't believe you'd turn up at a deal without all the money!

Quasi Modo 01 January 2010 06:48 PM

Never hand over money until you're happy to accept ownership of it, that makes you responsible for it from then on warts and all, i'm not having a go at either of you personally, but maybe you've both learnt something here eh. As said, if you're not too confident about what to look for etc get someone else who is, don't just commit yourself and learn what's wrong with it afterwards.

hodgy0_2 01 January 2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9129340)

Exactly what I was thinking

WRX_Dazza 01 January 2010 07:00 PM

engeneers report
does it say this on the top of the page??

FPMSL.

a promise is a promise as said 1,000,000 times above, the deal was DONE !!

Be a man and pay the other £50 now :)

Markus 01 January 2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9129340)

I agree. Even if I turned up and decided to haggle the price, I'd still have the full original amount with me, it'd be rude not to.

It seems he thought he'd turn up and give it a bit of a chance, see if he could get a couple of hundred quid (seem to recall originally he had £200 less, but got £100 from a bank machine and thus leaving another £100 outstanding) off the price by playing hard done by. When Boro didn't want to budge he found out that he'd need to get the cash and thought he'd again chance it by only getting 100 out of the cash point.

Then this engineers report turns up and that's used as a reason for not paying the final amount.

As said by others, it's a private sale, sold as seen. If you didn't get a report beforehand, and I'd assume Boro would have been ok with someone wanting to do this, or if not, then the buyer may have been aware of this, and if not, and he didn't ask to get one prior to buying then he's a tad silly to say the least. It might be a couple of hundred quid to get one, but in the long run I'd say it's worth it.

Bottom line, Caveat emptor.

Personally, to avoid future repercussions, I'd be a man and pay the remaining amount and clear this up once and for all. Simply because if anyone looks at the users feedback they'll see the neg feedback and may well decide not to buy or sell to this user given other peoples problems with him.

Bravo2zero_sps 01 January 2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver (Post 9129301)
name and shame, wel its me! im not hiding as im not coward, im standing by my rights, as i have a 2 page a4 sheet of engeneers report on the car with problems that as listed as a excellent runner that pulls wel, with a couple of problems, i said id drop the car back with him for a refund of my money and my old car back as i know that was road worthy!
a gti with fuked rings, coil pack failure, slipping clutch, electrics that set hazzards off while driving, doesnt lock as wont re open as no locks on the car and batt fails, rear dampers poped seals, rear interior leaks likea sive and is socking wet, wholes in the rear body kit were filler fallen out the list continues!!!

You completely seem to miss the point about buyer beware in a private sale. Once purchased you have NO right to take the car back unless for a couple of very specific reasons covered by the law and even then you will have difficulty in doing so.

You are in the wrong no matter how much you moan about the car.

I suggest you read up!

Car Buyers Guide - Advice : know your rights when buying a new car - The AA

I had someone turn up to buy a motorbike with only half the cash and he had travelled a couple of hundred miles by train to see it :lol1: He thought he'd try it on but I took him to the bank to get the rest as he wasn't having it without paying in full first, it was either that or a long train journey home :rolleyes:

Boro 01 January 2010 07:22 PM

Bearing in mind we had a brand new MOT and drove it for almost 400 miles without ANY problems, i'd say your "engineer" is talking out of his arse!

As for the car have no door locks, try reading the advert properly.

68,000 miles
Full custom retrim in black faux leather and cream suede
Full stainless powerflow exhaust
Decat
4 Branch stainless manifold
Remapped
Piper X air filter
17x8j Compomotive mo's custom made
Lowered 80mm on back and 60mm on front
Saxo dash
Dimma embossed in boot lid
All locks and front bonnet and boot flushed
Dimma saxo spoiler
Dtm cup mirrors
Angel eye headlights
Yamaha R1 blue with ice pearl
As for not locking, we showed you the remote central locking working.

Anyway, i've achieved what i wanted. My conscience is clear and every single person who has replied here thinks you're in the wrong.

Happy New Year!

PS. If you want a clear conscience, you know my paypal address ;-)

Markus 01 January 2010 07:25 PM

Boro,
Quick Q for you, and I'm playing devils advocate here, think it's obvious what my opinion is on this.

If the buyer (be it the person who purchased the car, or any other buyer) had asked to have an AA/RAC check performed on the car, prior to buying of course, would you have allowed them to do so.

Boro 01 January 2010 07:35 PM

Of course, i had no reason to believe the car had any problems other than those i had advertised it with. And it seems the buyer didnt either... this is from 106 owners a week ago.

i have just bought a gti shes coveres 68k with cams and chip, but theres oil coming from the aftermarket air filter, its not coming from the crank case breather as it has a seperate filter for the crankcase/rocker, its quite damp with oil around the batt tray and if u put ur hand under the filter u can feel it and see it on ur fingers

theres no other problems with the engine tho, idle fine, pulls well, no smoke?
my first thought was too much compression in the top, but i should be getting smoke as wel no?

is it common to have oil from airfilter on 106s

any help/advise appreciated
thanks in advance

Boro 01 January 2010 07:37 PM

Which kind of contradicts his earlier post...

Originally Posted by cjquicksilver (Post 9129301)

Telling me one thing and everyone something different.

SunnySideUp 01 January 2010 08:01 PM

I would be interested in the status of this Engineer. Is it a 'mate' who has done an O Level in Metalwork ....... or, a AA/RAC Inspection report?

Of course, it is not really going to be worth the paper it's written on - who, in their right mind, gets an Engineers report AFTER they have bought a car? No-one does ... unless, of course, they truly believe they have been mis-led and mis-sold the car - then the report would have some use in a Court of Law.

But, I suspect the report cost nothing - was done by a mate - or is an estimate only from a mechanic to sort the car out.

Paying £50 of the owed £100 tells me that the new owner of the car knows he has made a mistake ..... bought a crap car without doing the homework first, and then tried to get it cheaper than the agreed figure.

A man would honour the deal and chalk the buying of a dog down to experience.

hodgy0_2 01 January 2010 08:17 PM

put the £50 saved towards some lessons in written english - innit

cjquicksilver 01 January 2010 08:24 PM

we came to an agreement and ive paid wat i owe! i paid what the deal was for the car on the day! the exta £100 was for meeting half way, i said i would pay alll his travel fees which im sure for 70 miles £50 is enough! so the car was paid for!

and not that i didnt have the money on me, the deal was to pay thru paypal on the day! as it was sunday as no banks were open, but neither paypal on my phone or his would work, tried the cash mashines but all my cards had reached the limits for the day!

i have no choice but to either pay about 4k to fix the problems or break it n try to get some money back,

case closed! hes paid and any problems id like paid in person!!

Bravo2zero_sps 01 January 2010 08:27 PM

Nothing like getting the money out in advance eh? All the banks are shut on a Sunday? No sh!t sherlock :rolleyes: