ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PS3 Vs Xbox 360 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/806765-ps3-vs-xbox-360-a.html)

Shaun 30 December 2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth (Post 9124454)
As for games on both platforms and the look difference, the PS3 is a massively under utilised system because Sony in their ultimate wisdom chose an architicture that is a pain to write for....... give it a little more time and the PS3 will be top of the boxes for graphics

Sorry mate, but you have been sucked in by the Sony Marketing Bull****. True... the PS3 graphics engine is slightly better than the xbox360, but no where near as much as Sony touted this difference to be. The console has been out over THREE years.... if you think that it will take a little more time to unlock the quantum leap in graphics that the PS3 is supposed to be capable of, then I think you may be in for a long wait. :D

EddScott 30 December 2009 11:42 AM

I was given an XBox 360 after repairing a relatives PC. It was red ringed but Microshaft fixed it under warranty no problems.

I had a few games but I really didn't like it that much. I particularly didn't like Forza 2 which was a shock. I sold the 360 after about a month.

I got my PS3 through a phone deal. Whether or not one or the other is better on graphics I've never checked back to back. My PC wipes the floor with both of them.

I've built up a fair collection of Blu Rays which has been the highest useage for the PS3 and just recently, I think a "Killer app" for the PS3 is the inclusion of BBC IPlayer - We've used that a great deal just recently.

Shaun 30 December 2009 12:11 PM

Personally I think Blu Ray is a rip-off, when comparing the price to DVD's. I appreciate the image is better, but after 5mins of watching a film you are immersed in the film not the sharp picture. If the films were the same price as DVD version than fair enough, but for me they are not worth the extra cash. I suspect I will still buy them every now and again for something "special", but for normal use, DVD's are fine (and a shedload cheaper).

The quality of the DVD encoding nowadays is so much better than it was some years back. Dolby Digital is important to me and with using a decent upscaler to take a DVD to 1080p, it will certainly do.

HD stuff is cool, but since I realised that it aint really "all that" the PS3 is now being bashed as a media center for all my DVD rips. :D

Jamz3k 30 December 2009 02:07 PM

I've had both the 360 and the PS3, technically the PS3 was better. It lasted approx 3months before selling it. I've had my Xbox360 since just after the launch date, I've went to sell it and always backed out of doing so because i knew i'd miss it.

The PS3 is piss:
Crap Blu-ray playback
Crap cheap ass controller
Crap Menu system
Crap online system
Couldn't get a Bluetooth headset to work nicely with it
Most games worth mentioning were poor transfers of 360 titles
Its ugly

Xbox 360 is great because:
It's fun and easy to play.

I like gimmicks as much as the next person but I prefer something thats called a games console to be good for games which the PS3 wasn't imo.

Xx-IAN-xX 30 December 2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9125111)
I've had both the 360 and the PS3, technically the PS3 was better. It lasted approx 3months before selling it. I've had my Xbox360 since just after the launch date, I've went to sell it and always backed out of doing so because i knew i'd miss it.

The PS3 is piss:
Crap Blu-ray playback/but at least it plays bluray
Crap cheap ass controller/but still better than the xbox controller
Crap Menu system/menu system works just fine
Crap online system/free to use inlike xbox and does the job just as good
Couldn't get a Bluetooth headset to work nicely with it/ Why not everyone elswe seems to
Its ugly/name a few

It's fun and easy to play./but it keeps breaking down

I like gimmicks as much as the next person but I prefer something thats called a games console to be good for games which the PS3 wasn't imo.

:norty::thumb:

Jamz3k 30 December 2009 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX (Post 9125299)

The PS3 is piss:
Crap Blu-ray playback/but at least it plays bluray - doesn't cut it for me. if somethings isn't of decent quality, it might as well not bother being there as i won't use it.
Crap cheap ass controller/but still better than the xbox controller - You clearly must have the hands of Jeremy Beadle.
Crap Menu system/menu system works just fine - it worked but its still crap but since the update of the 360's menu system its equally crap
Crap online system/free to use inlike xbox and does the job just as good -It really doesn't.
Couldn't get a Bluetooth headset to work nicely with it/ Why not everyone elswe seems to -try a xbox wired headset and then check how nicely the wireless ones are.
Its ugly/name a few - what?

It's fun and easy to play./but it keeps breaking down -its lasted longer than the PS3;)

bounced right back at ya!:lol1:

Will 30 December 2009 06:41 PM

Hands like Jeremy Beadle or not mate!! Sony caters for all :D

http://www.dkpw.co.uk/wp/wp-content/...008/01/jbp.jpg

http://www.hairyfish.org/wp-content/photos/beadle.jpg

Geezer 30 December 2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9125517)

The PS3 is piss:
Crap Blu-ray playback/but at least it plays bluray - doesn't cut it for me. if somethings isn't of decent quality, it might as well not bother being there as i won't use it.mmm, Crap? That just plain stupid. Not as good as some bespoke players? Possibly, but crap :rolleyes:
Crap cheap ass controller/but still better than the xbox controller - You clearly must have the hands of Jeremy Beadle.You're confusing opinion with fact
Crap Menu system/menu system works just fine - it worked but its still crap but since the update of the 360's menu system its equally crap So you had to be goaded into admitting the 360 is just as crap in this instance :lol1:
Crap online system/free to use inlike xbox and does the job just as good -It really doesn't. No, it really does, I have no problems whatsoever.
Couldn't get a Bluetooth headset to work nicely with it/ Why not everyone elswe seems to -try a xbox wired headset and then check how nicely the wireless ones are.I have a wired one, it's ok, but I had to buy shares in Duracell.............. The bespoke PS3 ones are excellent (hell, even the ****ty £8 I got from Argos works ok with it!)
Its ugly/name a few - what?

It's fun and easy to play./but it keeps breaking down -its lasted longer than the PS3It's only a matter if time ;)

Geezer

Jamz3k 30 December 2009 08:10 PM

Geezer i'm not a fanboy thus i know the limitations of the 360. Its not perfect but it is the best the gaming console on the market.

Stealth 30 December 2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 9124680)
I read and hear this a lot about the PS3. How long has it been out now? It's a fair way into it's lifecycle already. I'd expect the next Xbox in 2 years time or so.

It's a matter of time, thats why GT5 keeps getting shoved back, they untap more and more of it everytime they play.... It's only a matter of time :)

Shaun 30 December 2009 08:49 PM

ROFLOL

A true PS3 Fanboy pinning the future of the PS3 "greatness" on one game. :D

Geezer 30 December 2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9125786)
Geezer i'm not a fanboy thus i know the limitations of the 360. Its not perfect but it is the best the gaming console on the market in my opinion and for my needs.

Corrected for accuracay ;)

Geezer

Jamz3k 30 December 2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 9125908)
Corrected for accuracay ;)

Geezer

There really is no need, its the internet. Most of the content of this forum is opinion. Its a bit like pointing out old people smell of piss? why bother?

Aaron1978 31 December 2009 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by mr_impreza (Post 9125581)

Typical sony, can't even get the controller right for jeremy Beadle;)

Xx-IAN-xX 31 December 2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9125517)

doesn't cut it for me. if somethings isn't of decent quality, it might as well not bother being there as i won't use it.
but you do you have an xbox

\straight back to ya:lol1::thumb:

StickyMicky 31 December 2009 03:41 PM

PMSL @ Jezza Beadle`s controller.

FWIW i think the 360 controller is nicer to use, but they are blatantly made to a price, 2 of mine have started to drift left and not centre properly when letting go of the left stick.

Some games this is not a problem as they have a bigger deadzone on the controls, other games its a nightmare.

My 3rd controller is ok at the moment, my Elite controller went tits up after about 6 months use!

Fabioso 31 December 2009 09:08 PM

I've had an XBOX 360 since launch and apart from the one RROD incident, I've grown kind of fond of it. It does what I need from a gaming console.

I have been tempted on a few occasions to get a PS3 also but as I am not an avid movie watcher the BLURAY element doesn't really "ding my dong" and as I have a PC connected directly to my main TV now, the media centre aspect is also not really required.

The only thing now that might tempt me into buying a PS3 is GT5 (when it gets released.....how many years is it now?) as the online host/player options fiasco of Forza3 seriously pissed me off.

I think either console would work for most people :D

DARB 01 January 2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 9126448)
Typical sony, can't even get the controller right for jeremy Beadle;)

PMSL :lol::lol:

p.s. xbox is the winner :norty:

boxst 01 January 2010 11:14 PM

The iPlayer is very good on the PS3, even on a 42" 1080p LCD it is very watchable.

Steve

Rob_Impreza99 05 January 2010 08:55 PM

I can`t comment on a PS3 having never owned one but ive just bought an Xbox 360 super elite and its a great bit of kit, the graphics on Modern Warfare 2 are unreal. The advice i was given before buying a gaming system is, if your buying one for gaming then it has to be an Xbox 360, if you want an all rounder that plays games and bluray as well then buy a PS3

I really like the interface on the Xbox 360, i also like how you can save games to the hard drive which will prolong the life of the optical drive.