ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Going to go and have a look at an R8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/792701-going-to-go-and-have-a-look-at-an-r8.html)

^OPM^ 03 October 2009 01:30 PM

Can we get back to the topic in queston please-just looking at my girls aloud calender and imagining that pvc clad bottom of cheryl sitting on that leather seat you see in one of the pics :norty: tissue please :eek:

Trout 03 October 2009 01:56 PM

You got it the wrong way around the F430 was 7.55.

Do you have any idea what it takes to get a car to go 10s faster around the 'Ring at this level - manufacturers spend millions refining and testing to achieve this on a production performance car (or £20k of you are Radical).

So if the R8 V8 is aimed at the Carrera - the Carrera has a 'Ring time of 7m 50s with the PDK gearbox and at the same trim level is £20k cheaper. That is 15s faster!

R8 V10 Ring time is 7m 44s, that's slower than a 997 GT3 ;)

Deep Singh 04 October 2009 06:26 AM

You may say the Audi is aimed at the 997s but there is a big difference, the audi has no rear seats! To make up for that big issue the Audi should be significantly faster imho and its not.

I first thought the r8 looked really nice, now I think it looks too flash. Too flash for me anyway.

ScoobyDoo555 04 October 2009 09:02 AM

mmmm. For me, the jury's still out on the R8. Now being a humble minion, I couldn't afford one anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point!!LOL!! :D

However, when I had my S4, I spent a lot of time at the dealership talking about various toys etc, and they had the R8 (badly arranged) next to the TT.

The R8 has a LOT of presence. The TT still looks like a jelly mold. BUT the R8 looks like a bigger version :(
All these manufacturers use the Porsche as a benchmark, and yet seem to constantly miss..... Audi, Aston for example.
Surely if they're going to badge their latest and greatest as a Porker-killer, they should ensure that it actually does.........

In all fairness, the TT-rs seems to make the R8 look a bit pricey for what it is (imho), with comparable performance figures to the Porker.

But what people forget is that there is another reason for buying the Porsche over anything else......... the name.

Deep Singh 04 October 2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 8978198)
mmmm. For me, the jury's still out on the R8. Now being a humble minion, I couldn't afford one anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point!!LOL!! :D

However, when I had my S4, I spent a lot of time at the dealership talking about various toys etc, and they had the R8 (badly arranged) next to the TT.

The R8 has a LOT of presence. The TT still looks like a jelly mold. BUT the R8 looks like a bigger version :(
All these manufacturers use the Porsche as a benchmark, and yet seem to constantly miss..... Audi, Aston for example.
Surely if they're going to badge their latest and greatest as a Porker-killer, they should ensure that it actually does.........

In all fairness, the TT-rs seems to make the R8 look a bit pricey for what it is (imho), with comparable performance figures to the Porker.

But what people forget is that there is another reason for buying the Porsche over anything else......... the name.

The other reason for buying the Porsche is that its now actually the LEAST ostentatious, compared to the Audi, Aston, Fezza etc its the most understated. You could drive it around in any half decent area and nobody would turn to look or pay attention. This is very attractive to many people, me included.
The bonus is that its also the most practical, its the only one you can drop your kids at school in.

bighead 04 October 2009 08:39 PM

stick yr kids in the boots :).....
ps Porsches are over rated

Trout 04 October 2009 09:36 PM

I agree, Porsches are rubbish! Don't bother getting one.

zip106 04 October 2009 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 8979568)
I agree, Porsches are rubbish! Don't bother getting one.

I concur. Pile of $hite.

bighead 04 October 2009 10:52 PM

well....i wouldn't go that far as saying there are rubbish , just lack a bit of "soul"

have to say though, they are builts very well :) just not as much character as some

Trout 04 October 2009 11:08 PM

That's right no soul - I mean how many models have a heritage of over forty years, almost unparalled motorsport success, a unique engineering solution. Yep, no soul :p

Deep Singh 05 October 2009 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by bighead (Post 8979699)
well....i wouldn't go that far as saying there are rubbish , just lack a bit of "soul"

have to say though, they are builts very well :) just not as much character as some

It be nice if you put it into perspective. Which cars have you owned/driven that you feel have soul/character?

davecweed 05 October 2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 8980970)
It be nice if you put it into perspective. Which cars have you owned/driven that you feel have soul/character?

How do you define soul/character in a car?

Deep Singh 05 October 2009 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8981026)
How do you define soul/character in a car?

I don't. Big head used those terms, not me

Trout 05 October 2009 10:39 PM

Anyway - who cares if it has no soul - I'd have you in the twisties ;)

bighead 05 October 2009 11:13 PM

ooops ... have i started something here
please guy its just imho :)

now i need my flame suits.......................

Trout 05 October 2009 11:58 PM

[bright light mode on]

Answer zee qvestion!

[bright light mode off]

MJW 06 October 2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ^OPM^ (Post 8976983)
Can we get back to the topic in queston please-just looking at my girls aloud calender and imagining that pvc clad bottom of cheryl sitting on that leather seat you see in one of the pics :norty: tissue please :eek:

Looking at how baggy the leather has gone on the drivers seat the previous owner must've been well over 16 stone, so hold off on the spaffing !

bighead 06 October 2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 8982531)
Looking at how baggy the leather has gone on the drivers seat the previous owner must've been well over 16 stone, so hold off on the spaffing !

maybe they had sex quite often on the driver's side :)

bighead 06 October 2009 05:39 PM

oh Trout yr car has soul :thumb:,
I was really generalising that the german car makers in general are a bit band
(not been bias as my daily drive is a M5), but i so miss driving my P1( In PROSPORT for 2.35 conversion )

Deep Singh 06 October 2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bighead (Post 8982845)
oh Trout yr car has soul :thumb:,
I was really generalising that the german car makers in general are a bit band
(not been bias as my daily drive is a M5), but i so miss driving my P1( In PROSPORT for 2.35 conversion )

Well sir, you have taste. We have the same daily drive!

Thing is with german cars, if you want something with that bit more of what I think you mean by character/soul you can have it.
For example Pork GT3, GT3 RS, GT2, even a turbo (though some will disagree with the latter). Bmw M3 CSL, MB black series (if you've won the lottery). Thing is they all come with compromises, ie they are a bit extreme for the daily grind. But their regular M series, 911, AMG etc are a great combo of subtlety, performance, practicality etc.

If you want even more character then most of the cars I mentioned can be tuned/modified

davecweed 06 October 2009 07:44 PM

I think all modern cars lack soul/character, I feel very remote from modern cars, all the sound proofing, lack of rattles, lack of oil/petrol smells etc, etc in my imho

Deep Singh 06 October 2009 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8983090)
I think all modern cars lack soul/character, I feel very remote from modern cars, all the sound proofing, lack of rattles, lack of oil/petrol smells etc, etc in my imho

You want rattles, loads of road noise and the smell of petrol/oil? Buy a Lotus.

rickya 06 October 2009 09:59 PM

Or a decatted Spec C!!!!

Trout 06 October 2009 11:00 PM

Or any classic Subaru - then you get the smell of burning oil, burning clutch and hot brakes!

bighead 06 October 2009 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 8982959)
Well sir, you have taste. We have the same daily drive!

Thing is with german cars, if you want something with that bit more of what I think you mean by character/soul you can have it.
For example Pork GT3, GT3 RS, GT2, even a turbo (though some will disagree with the latter). Bmw M3 CSL, MB black series (if you've won the lottery). Thing is they all come with compromises, ie they are a bit extreme for the daily grind. But their regular M series, 911, AMG etc are a great combo of subtlety, performance, practicality etc.

If you want even more character then most of the cars I mentioned can be tuned/modified

Singh......that is exactly my point , all the cars you've mention have "soul"(911 turbo apart :) )
their everyday performance cars are very good , its just dont stir the "emotions" as some do regardless of cost (ie peugeot 205 gti, Lancia intergrales, ford Rs cosworth etc etc )

all imho of cause :wink:

bighead 06 October 2009 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 8983493)
You want rattles, loads of road noise and the smell of petrol/oil? Buy a Lotus.

yes a lotus/caterham 7 will do all that and more :)

davecweed 06 October 2009 11:56 PM

also no traction control, no abs, etc, all of this and oil/petrol smell, lots of noise, rattles leads to a scary/thrilling driving experience!, too many car tourists here!

bighead 07 October 2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by davecweed (Post 8983766)
also no traction control, no abs, etc, all of this and oil/petrol smell, lots of noise, rattles leads to a scary/thrilling driving experience!, too many car tourists here!

:notworthy: