ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Omega buying advice? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/776340-omega-buying-advice.html)

Devildog 08 July 2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8809401)
Hey I've just been offered a 25 year old Cortina. Slow, crap brakes, needs a lot of looking after but only £25k. I'm snapping it up. Bargain.

Come on lads - you're like fat trout looking for a bite. Easier to catch than MRSA at a low grade hospital. Lighten up - it's only a bit of fun.

Right, bidding for a lovely antique abacus. Who needs these newfangled accurate calcuators eh?

Matt,

I think maybe its a bit of fun the first few times its posted. But then it just becomes tedious :)

Matteeboy 08 July 2009 09:34 AM

Fine. Nice ad on the right of here - Omega watches for $93. That's even less than my G Shocks...

hodgy0_2 08 July 2009 10:03 AM

Hey I've just been offered a 25 year old Cortina. Slow, crap brakes, needs a lot of looking after but only £25k. I'm snapping it up. Bargain.

about right for a 1 owner, low mileage MK1 Lotus Cortina with period accessories

ronjeramy 08 July 2009 10:51 AM

I've had my Tag for 12 years and 3 batterys and still going strong, it's lasted longer than any casio, citizen or timex cheap watch Ive owned in the past.

Matteeboy 08 July 2009 11:03 AM

I've had my purely digi G Shock for 12 years. Also three batteries and still going strong. It's been surfing umpteen times, crashed on bikes, waterskiied (high speed slalom), skiied, hammer drilled, been involved in a major demolition job, etc, etc and still works as well as the day I got it.

The metal G Shock ana-digi is two years old now and never missed a beat and needs a very slight time adjustment about once every three months. The strap, a black metal ion one (hard to get over here) is also very fresh looking despite much abuse.

Any watch, be it Lorus (are they still around?) or Patek would struggle to do anything these watches won't.

hodgy0_2 08 July 2009 11:31 AM

if you want an analogue display (and I do) you do need cystal glass fascia coz after a few years it gets soo scratch as to be unreadable

.:mike:. 08 July 2009 12:43 PM

Doesnt sound that great if the omega watches are losing that sort of time with an automatic movement! I've got an (automatic) oris worldtimer and thats been very good, well built nice watch, probably a bit cheaper than the ones you've been looking at too. Unless you're purely after the 'badge' then maybe they're worth a look?

Matteeboy 08 July 2009 12:46 PM

Good job my ana digi G Shock has a sapphire crystal face then innit?

If I wanted pure analogue, I'd get this one:

http://gallery.watchreport.com/photo...00bj/angle.jpg

hodgy0_2 08 July 2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8809775)
Good job my ana digi G Shock has a sapphire crystal face then innit?

If I wanted pure analogue, I'd get this one:

http://gallery.watchreport.com/photo...00bj/angle.jpg

very nice Mat (looks expensive:))

also looks very similiar in design to my Tag, except yours is in rubber!!!

Matteeboy 08 July 2009 01:02 PM

You can get an all metal version for 200 notes. That one is just about a £100.

Devildog 08 July 2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8809572)
I've had my purely digi G Shock for 12 years. Also three batteries and still going strong. It's been surfing umpteen times, crashed on bikes, waterskiied (high speed slalom), skiied, hammer drilled, been involved in a major demolition job, etc, etc and still works as well as the day I got it.

The metal G Shock ana-digi is two years old now and never missed a beat and needs a very slight time adjustment about once every three months. The strap, a black metal ion one (hard to get over here) is also very fresh looking despite much abuse.

Any watch, be it Lorus (are they still around?) or Patek would struggle to do anything these watches won't.

Fair enough, and had this topic been about the longevity of G Shock's it may wll have been of some use. But it isn't, and therefore it wasn't ;) :D

A Patek is a work of art. A G shock is very much a tool watch, but quite fashionable. Although surprisingly both are quite "cool" in their own way.

There's a point Matt - your G Shocks are maybe to "fashion statement" now. Perhaps you better look elsewhere ;)

hodgy0_2 08 July 2009 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8809802)
You can get an all metal version for 200 notes. That one is just about a £100.

yes -- but it doesn't say TAG HEUER on it, and £200 notes is far too cheap

Matteeboy 08 July 2009 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 8809994)
yes -- but it doesn't say TAG HEUER on it, and £200 notes is far too cheap

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::thumb:

Nat 08 July 2009 02:45 PM

The one i mentioned is sold now so no more PM's ta! :)

New_scooby_04 08 July 2009 03:58 PM

Come on lads - you're like fat trout looking for a bite. Easier to catch than MRSA at a low grade hospital. Lighten up - it's only a bit of fun.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/e...89a2550f86.jpg

;) :D

Let em have their serious watch thread, please, Matteboy!

I promise I'll make them behave in the next exercise thread. Deal? :D

stilover 08 July 2009 04:27 PM

So the consensus is that Omega watches lose time quite a bit?

I was looking at a Seamaster, but Captain Bullst!t who I shame an office with has walked in (On Monday) with a Tag F1 Chronograph (orange face) which looks very nice I must say.

What's the opinion on Tag's?

Can get a Brietling SuperOcean (orange face) but that approx double the price as the Tag.

Nat 08 July 2009 04:38 PM

An automatic watch is only as accurate as it is regulated to be. Omega seem to be getting slack on their non COSC watches. If you buy a new Omega that is COSC certified then it will be accurate to those standards. Any Swiss quartz like the Tag or cheaper Omegas use will be more accurate every time though.

z1000 08 July 2009 08:23 PM

Does no one just look @ their phone for the time ?
And surely with the return of all things eightys the casio calculator watch is the thing to have ???

Matteeboy 09 July 2009 09:08 AM

I had one of those (in the 80s) and used to cheat in all my maths tests. Can't believe the teachers never realised!

MattOz 09 July 2009 09:36 AM

I've had my full size automatic Seamaster since 2001. It's worn every day and never really leaves my wrist. My AD told me that unless it's losing/gaining time by more than a couple of minutes a month there is no need to get it serviced, so it's never been done. The watch has stood up to all kinds of abuse and always cleans up brilliantly.

Maybe I was just lucky.

Matt