ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   help need on exhaust noise?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/737539-help-need-on-exhaust-noise.html)

172sport 11 January 2009 01:07 PM

LOL mine is 104 @ 4000rpm

-shane- 11 January 2009 01:07 PM

i have a spare bung if you want to buy it off me £15 its brand new think there £30 new

172sport 11 January 2009 01:20 PM

I've been heard 5 miles away when doin a top speed run, and they were indoors watchin tv. haha.

dunx 11 January 2009 03:33 PM

Club meeting down your street would be fun, invite the lads round for a coffee & a DVD !

LOL

dunx

Stealth 11 January 2009 05:23 PM

I got moaned at by my neighbour when I had the Nur Spec R on the car, she moaned that it was far to loud and that it scared her kids.... I mean the kids were 7 and 9, like they don't know what a loud car is...... Bloody wimps!!!!

Anyhow, just to keep people happy and to stop my car getting trashed when I was in bed I opted for the cooling the car down a few miles outside of my estate and then bimble hime off boost, shove it on the drive and turn her off.

Effectively took the same ammount of time with no purchasing required and kept the Old moaners at bay........ Alternativly you could tell the moaning old bag to turn her hearing aid down or turn her TV up I'm suer both have volume levels!!!

There is a maximum sound limit (I got threatend by the police once to have it tested on the side of the road) so jsut ask them to check it when you next have an MOT or summit

PR08RAD 12 January 2009 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by -shane- (Post 8414977)
i have a spare bung if you want to buy it off me £15 its brand new think there £30 new

any pics ??

-shane- 12 January 2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by PR08RAD (Post 8419333)
any pics ??

Impreza Turbo 2001-2005 New Age : Subaru Impreza Removable Exhaust Baffle

sorry got it wrong £24.50

scoobyc 12 January 2009 09:29 PM

mate its your neighbour. If its annoying her/them why not use a bung. Its not exactly alot of work?

Why piss of your neighbours eh?

Also dont forget, inside the car its a **** lot quieter than outside.

PR08RAD 12 January 2009 09:31 PM

how does it fit? is it easy?

-shane- 12 January 2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by PR08RAD (Post 8419381)
how does it fit? is it easy?

yea push it in and u put the bolt in with alen key 2 sec job, let me know if u want it

PR08RAD 12 January 2009 09:38 PM

will do cheers. I appreciate people saying keep neighbour happy, fi tthe bung, but really why should i, just cos she doesnt like it ?? if the car is totally as it should be, its no louder than a motorbike etc. but cos its louder then her KA that makes it too loud. i a m starting to think fcuk her! :P

-shane- 12 January 2009 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by PR08RAD (Post 8419405)
will do cheers. I appreciate people saying keep neighbour happy, fi tthe bung, but really why should i, just cos she doesnt like it ?? if the car is totally as it should be, its no louder than a motorbike etc. but cos its louder then her KA that makes it too loud. i a m starting to think fcuk her! :P

up to u bud but if i go out extra early in the morning i just stick it in for a bit just to be polite,

Alan Jeffery 12 January 2009 09:48 PM

I rang a well known exhaust supplier today to talk about these issues. They'd sent over a couple of systems to try on customers cars that I had to send back, as they were TOO LOUD. I think it's fair to say that Scoobies are the noisiest things at idle we ever get in, and I have to even tell my chaps off sometimes if they are sat ticking over outside the office, and I'm trying to use the phone! Ironic really, as I'm usually talking to a Scooby owner, and I'm having to stop the conversation to go "SHUT THE F*^+ UP!"
We've found by experimentation that a three inch system, with a decent, fat, nicely padded rear box doesn't kill the power, but sounds fairly ok as well.
We keep a decibel meter for track day cars, and build them boxes which will pass a 100 db limit.

KINGTIGER 12 January 2009 10:16 PM

I hav parked my Scooby up outside where I live and next door neighbour has come out and said that its a lovely noise to listen to.

Im a bus driver and once a Sooby went by and could still feel the vibration when it was halfway up the road.

stara 13 January 2009 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by PR08RAD (Post 8419405)

as it should be? well, apart form the decat and stainless exhaust? prob no louder than a harley with staight through pipes at idle. ;)

Chris.B 13 January 2009 07:16 AM

Firstly, I'd lose the turbo timer if I were you - They aren't much 'good' anyway, just stay off boost before you get home.

Secondly, cover your screen if its cold - that will save idling outside your house in the morning.

jonny_693 13 January 2009 11:19 AM

Thirdly, a bung might not fit anyway. What style tailpipe is it, Slash cut, inwardly rolled, oval?

Fourthly, run one of the old dears cats over that'll take her mind off things. :norty:

pmarch bugeye 15 January 2009 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by stara (Post 8413722)
it might not sound loud, but an idling scoob, or any car with bassy exhaust can cause sh1t to vibrate on shelves, glass in internal doors etc. once someone gets wind of an annoyance, it will exaggerate how much much it annoys them the next time it happens. prob better to drive off boost for 5mins before you get home so no need for a turbo timer, and to de-ice the car without the engine running, it is far kinder to gently drive the car until it is warm than to leave it idling until it's warm. lots of debate and resons why on this subject.

absolutely spot on advice - both environmentally and financially.