ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Public Sector Pensions Rip Off !!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/735691-public-sector-pensions-rip-off.html)

PeteBrant 07 January 2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 8404388)
I would say some of the comments above prove my point .!!!
From people in The Job.So to speak .:p

Worthless Anecdotal Non Knowledge, then. Thought so.

Any generalisation of a particular brand of worker being a "Lazy tosser" is, of course, ridiculous.

njkmrs 07 January 2009 02:41 PM

Yes your quite right .
But back to my point these Pension schemes need kicking to the Kerb .A much fairer scheme to the Public Purse should replace it .Get out what you put in ,just like Private Sector pensions .
It is our money that is being wasted .I repeat a quarter of Our Council tax goes to funding it .
I take it you heard about the Kent Council paying for a senior waster to fly to the Olympic games ,for no reason whatsoever .Just 17k of our money .This will be one of the wasters Im talking about .There are just too many of them .
Regards.

Jye 07 January 2009 02:50 PM

What about the ones that lift the dog s**t? They piss me right off :D

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 8404682)
Yes your quite right .
But back to my point these Pension schemes need kicking to the Kerb .A much fairer scheme to the Public Purse should replace it .Get out what you put in ,just like Private Sector pensions .
It is our money that is being wasted .I repeat a quarter of Our Council tax goes to funding it .
I take it you heard about the Kent Council paying for a senior waster to fly to the Olympic games ,for no reason whatsoever .Just 17k of our money .This will be one of the wasters Im talking about .There are just too many of them .
Regards.

davyboy 07 January 2009 02:56 PM

I've got a final salary pension :)

cookstar 07 January 2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 8404712)

So have I :luxhello:

davyboy 07 January 2009 03:06 PM

Not many places offer it now. It would costs approx 10k per year to fund yourself.

Just need to keep my job.

michaelro 07 January 2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8404717)

In fact I've got 2!! :p
One is frozen from my previous public sector employer :D

cookstar 07 January 2009 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by michaelro (Post 8404808)

In fact I've got 2!! :p
One is frozen from my previous public sector employer :D

two, now that is nice. :thumb:

I have other pension plans set us as well. ;)

Deep Singh 07 January 2009 04:26 PM

Ok heres the plan. Me, Davyboy, Cookstar and Michael drive around njkmrs's house and shout.......... WE'RE LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!

We could all take a day off sick and do it:lol1:

cookstar 07 January 2009 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh (Post 8404938)
Ok heres the plan. Me, Davyboy, Cookstar and Michael drive around njkmrs's house and shout.......... WE'RE LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!

You reminded me, I'm due some sick leave, as long as I dont go more than three times in six months. :cool: ;)

Devildog 07 January 2009 04:31 PM

Not exactly sure what the OP's issue is.

Public sector pensions are in massive deficit generally - as are many final salary schemes. Anyone who's more than 5 years from retirement age should not be counting any pensionable chickens, to be honest.

Lots of shocks ahead for those who are anywhere but close to retirement age and expecting final salary schemes to be paying out what they expect.

davyboy 07 January 2009 04:43 PM

I'm not public sector though. Just lucky my employer still did final salary when I started.

njkmrs 07 January 2009 07:20 PM

I will put the kettle on .!!!!!

Fortunately I wont be reliant on a Pension .:norty:

But the two I have will pay for the Extras !!!!!

One sugar was it ???;)

njkmrs 08 January 2009 09:15 AM

Ermm .Seems to have gone quiet .

Coffee then ?????

michaelro 08 January 2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 8406647)
Ermm .Seems to have gone quiet .

Coffee then ?????

I would but I can't be bothered.... ;)

amahrap 09 January 2009 10:06 PM

cheers for the great vote of confidence to all us public sector pukes - the Daily Mail readers are out in force on this one.

Any chance of doing some research before you spout drivel. My Dept has almost halved its workforce over the last 15 years and is making cuts of a further 25% at present. I have also had a below inflation pay rise (ie cut) for the last 17 years and no strikes for over 20 years. The Treasury has also imposed a 2% max cap on pay rises and insisted that anything else is funded by savings. We also have the lowest sick rate in the public sector (and i believe it is also lower than the private sector average).

This lazy oaf has just worked a normal(ish) week of 52 hours (but only gets paid for 37) and has had 5 days off sick in the last 3 years (back and wisdom tooth). We don't all just turn up to take the piss and loaf about.

Thanks for the support but i didn't come into this job to make money and at this rate i'm unlikely to see the pension anyway!

rossyboy 09 January 2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by amahrap (Post 8411354)

This lazy oaf has just worked a normal(ish) week of 52 hours (but only gets paid for 37)

You do realise this means you are effectively getting paid 40% less than your contract salary dont you? As I've said earlier I work in the public sector, but there's no way in hell I'd work the equivalent of 2 days per week for nothing!

We just dont get paid enough to justify that.

njkmrs 10 January 2009 08:30 AM

Thanks for the support but i didn't come into this job to make money and at this rate i'm unlikely to see the pension anyway![/QUOTE]

Apologies ,it is not aimed at individuals and certainly not at people like yourself .It was a sweeping statement in general and was meant tongue in cheek as much as anything .There will always be good workers and bad workers ,and it is the **** end of the stick who I was referring to ,those that dont give a Toss about their input and just cream it for much of thier working life at the Taxpayers expense and then get rewarded for hanging on .

Again not aimed at you ,sorry .

Keep up the good work Amahrap :thumb:

amahrap 10 January 2009 11:27 AM

no worries - it was a Friday evening and i had just had one of those weeks so i had a sense of humour failure

i agree that there are problems in the public sector but trial by tabloid spin puts my back up as the public only ever get the negatives and forget the vast majority work hard for relatively low pay.

Peanuts 10 January 2009 03:11 PM

careful putting your back up Andy, you'll need another day sick :lol1: ;)

njkmrs 12 January 2009 04:38 PM

UK Final Salary Pension schemes are reported to be collectively in Deficit ,to the tune of 195 Billion pounds !!!

Whos gonna top that up I ask ?:nono:

How safe are they I wonder .??

njkmrs 23 January 2009 05:06 AM

Latest report states Private Sector Pension schemes are being closed to new members and existing ones are being frozen ,ie no longer taking contributions and employees having to find alternative Pension arrangements to top up their frozen Final Salary schemes .

I can see this being copied by Public Sector schemes next,when the Government catches up on the severity of the situation regarding funding and suddenly realises they are not sustainable .

njkmrs 06 October 2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 8418394)
UK Final Salary Pension schemes are reported to be collectively in Deficit ,to the tune of 195 Billion pounds !!!

Thought I would remind you what I said about the Public Sector Pension schemes .

The time has arrived where they have to start putting more in themselves to fund their retirements .
I did say they were unsustainable as they were ,with the Tax payer footing most of the bill .Looks like they will have to make more of a personal contribution .!!!!

alcazar 06 October 2010 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 8418394)

Total b*llox, as usual.

Almost all public sector pensions have NO capital/pension fund, as successive governments stole them years ago.

They then agreed to fund it at a level agreed by an independent actuary.............yes, you guessed it, the actuaries were provided by HMG and FAR from independent:mad:
Result: the funds are quoted at about 10% of what they would REALLY have been worth had they not been nicked:mad:

Who's going to top it up? the b@stards that nicked it, I hope.:brickwall:brickwall

Scooby Jo 06 October 2010 09:48 PM

A fundamental assumption in this thread is that the public sector pension is restricted to public sector workers - that used to be the case but local government depts started to get outsourced and many of the deals included protecting membership of the pension schemes. :cuckoo: I work for a private company, we are stuck with the public sector pension fund. Each company has it's own "pot" and we have to manage it to make sure it's affordable - no public purse is topping ours up. However we are bound by the same rules as everyone else. The comments that companies are freezing entry into final salary schemes is correct, driven in the main by those private companies operating the public sector pension schemes. Certainly a trend in the sector I work in so despite paying a huge chunk into my retirement fund every month, it looks likely that I would be better stuffing it in my mattress..:(

The review of public sector pensions is out tomorrow, it will no doubt be a rivetting read......:rolleyes:

pwhittle 08 October 2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by njkmrs (Post 8392886)
Absolutely not !!!
They contribute and serve a purpose .:luvlove:

council pensions are of course different, as they are investment funded, though that never gets a mention.

FWIW I agree that average salary schemes are fairer, and my pension would be higher in such a scheme, as I'm now on reduced hours. When I leave next month, my future pension, laughable as it is, will be based on my current salary - 25% less than I was on a few years ago. That means I've over-paid.
I'm not neive enough to think my council pension will ever be worth anything, so I have 2 private ones too, adding up to 10% of my gross salary.

It's also worth baring in mind that the acrual rate foe LA pensions is 1/80th per year, so it's not like you get much of your final salary (unlike MPs, who have a far more generous acrual rate).

I'm actually moving to a charity next month, ironically for improved security!

I'll start whinging about public sector pensions then.

pwhittle 08 October 2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by amahrap (Post 8411354)
cheers for the great vote of confidence to all us public sector pukes - the Daily Mail readers are out in force on this one.

Any chance of doing some research before you spout drivel. My Dept has almost halved its workforce over the last 15 years and is making cuts of a further 25% at present. I have also had a below inflation pay rise (ie cut) for the last 17 years and no strikes for over 20 years. The Treasury has also imposed a 2% max cap on pay rises and insisted that anything else is funded by savings. We also have the lowest sick rate in the public sector (and i believe it is also lower than the private sector average).

This lazy oaf has just worked a normal(ish) week of 52 hours (but only gets paid for 37) and has had 5 days off sick in the last 3 years (back and wisdom tooth). We don't all just turn up to take the piss and loaf about.

Thanks for the support but i didn't come into this job to make money and at this rate i'm unlikely to see the pension anyway!

yeah but think about the company car, share scheme, health care, Christmas parties... ah hang on...

XRS 08 October 2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by pwhittle (Post 9642712)

It's also worth baring in mind that the acrual rate foe LA pensions is 1/80th per year

Not any more it's not. Changed to 1/60ths in April 2008.

Chip 08 October 2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 8404712)

Me too , and in a few months I will be drawing on it at age 50 as I get made redundant then. Get a nice £100k+ lump sum as well on top of my rediundancy. Happy days! :)

Chip

Jamescsti 08 October 2010 05:51 PM

Someone in the media needs to start publishing the details of public pension schemes instead of lumping them all together and look at different areas pensions.
Example,
Police officers have to pay in 11% of their salary and work 30 yrs for their full pensions,
this has now been changed to 9% and 35 yrs service for new recruits, either way the contributions are well above council workers for example who contribute around 4-6% for their final salary pensions.
Either way there are huge variations even in the public sector, personally I think all public sector employees should be up at around 10% contributions