ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Is it worth modding a WRX? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/726709-is-it-worth-modding-a-wrx.html)

weeebell 23 November 2008 10:23 PM

I just like the feeling of seeing an Sti or P1 in your mirror, then the look on there face at the next set of lights when they couldnt catch you:norty:

jasonius 24 November 2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by weeebell (Post 8295764)
I just like the feeling of seeing an Sti or P1 in your mirror, then the look on there face at the next set of lights when they couldnt catch you:norty:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: if you still have the ironing board fitted..:)

APIDavid 24 November 2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 8292497)
I'd budget around the following (I can't recall what state the PPP leave the 03wrx's exhaust in; I'm assuming no cat in up pipe or centre section)

£299 sports cat DP
£90 fuel pump
£200ish ported and wrapped headers
£300ish VF35 (good, used one)
£200ish (I think) STi 8 intercooler,
£25 second hand 3 port boost solenoid
£600 quid for a ECUTEK remap by an expert.

WRX internals and gearbox will be perfectly ok in the low-mid 300s if mapped properly, assuming the car isn't driven like its stolen everywhere and looked after.

Your clutch may also need upgrading. Circa £500 for an uprated organic one including install.

If you hadn't already done the brakes and suspension and had some bits from the PPP I'd suggest you go to the STi, but in this market.....

You could do a lot worse than speak to David at APi

Ns04

NS has saved me the trouble to post all that. Some prices are a bit optimistic and have been achieved by being in the right place on Ebay or S'Net at the right time - BUT broadly that will give ANY WRX; STi performance with no drama, no downside, and NO RISK to reliability.

I'd go decat as it is a bit cheaper £ 150.00 + Wrapping. AND unless you are really bothered about trees and dolphins - will not end the world tomorrow. It will make a huge difference to the power delivery. Sports cats are good these days, but any pipe with a sponge in it is going to be worse than an open pipe.

We do this sort of 'conversion ' at least once a month and never had anything less than favourable comment every time.

It works and it is cheap enough.

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333

daz1968 24 November 2008 06:10 PM

at the moment I have an 03 WRX with ppp was planning on adding a decat up pipe and ppp downpipe, a fuel pump and sti pinks, then add a TD05 as they are cheaper to pick up, also is an sti top mount required for low 300's as I thought the WRX intercooler was ok with the ppp hose.
What difference would a VF34/5 make over a TD05

Any comments welcomed

Neil.. 24 November 2008 06:28 PM

Might be worth seeing what trade in you could get with your car against an STi of similar age.

Try a few cars, and get an average cost to upgrade to an STi.

Then compare with the above costings, and also look at what money you have to spend.

The STi is a far better car as standard, and as a base to modify in the future.

trevsjwood 24 November 2008 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by daz1968 (Post 8297574)
at the moment I have an 03 WRX with ppp was planning on adding a decat up pipe and ppp downpipe, a fuel pump and sti pinks, then add a TD05 as they are cheaper to pick up, also is an sti top mount required for low 300's as I thought the WRX intercooler was ok with the ppp hose.

Any comments welcomed

I started with the same, have been upgrading for a couple of years-you may find it helpful to have a look at my scooby
cheers:)

wiley 24 November 2008 11:05 PM

modding a wrx is a lot more work than a sti, first you need to get it up to sti figures which will probably cost you 2k.... then a nother 2k+ to get anything over 300bhp
ive had mine for 5 months now, from standard ive got it to now 275bhp... and hopefully a lot more by saturday after some new parts plus bigger turbo is fitted

wiley

APIDavid 25 November 2008 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by wiley (Post 8298619)
modding a wrx is a lot more work than a sti, first you need to get it up to sti figures which will probably cost you 2k.... then a nother 2k+ to get anything over 300bhp
ive had mine for 5 months now, from standard ive got it to now 275bhp... and hopefully a lot more by saturday after some new parts plus bigger turbo is fitted

wiley

Our modded WRX cars make 320+hp safely, time after time, for less than 2 grand. 4 grand will get you a long, long way further.

David APi

APIDavid 25 November 2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by daz1968 (Post 8297574)

Any comments welcomed

Wartch out for used TD05 /16G the old ' snorkel type ' from the early WRX's. They are pretty old these days and suffer from cracks around the cast iron turbine housing.

Lift the wastegate button off its seat and look for cracks on the seating and remove the stainless clamp band around the middle of the turbo and check that the turbine case [shroud] is not cracked all the way around the clamp ring groove.

Do this before you pay.... I have lost count of the amount of them that customers have brought in and then asked us to throw away for them....

Any cracks are death to that turbo, don't even try to weld it.

David APi

jasonius 25 November 2008 12:01 PM

The VF34/35 and mods is a well proven package for the WRX, as David says.

One other thing to remember is this, a WRX weighs ~100kgs lighter that an STI..! :eek: (c1380kg v 1480kg give or take for various MY's)

Now some weight will be added whilst modding (ie STI TMIC ~1.5kgs heavier, ARB's heavier etc...) but then again if you're careful you can keep that weight advantage and maybe improve on it..:norty: For instance, a good decat exhaust will weigh significantly less than the cast oem catted system. Removing the heat shields around the headers and wrapping instead. Some nice lightweight alloys (not sti 17's as they weigh a ton..!), lightweight battery ~7kgs lighter..:cool:

An STI needs at least another 30-40 bhp to make up for that weight, so a well modded 330-340 bhp WRX is more than capable of handling a 360-380 bhp STI..:D

How much does it cost to get an STi up to these figures..?

DaveBeck 25 November 2008 03:12 PM

Ive got a modded wrx for sale if you cant be bothered yourself lol

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...st-my-car.html

well i can try:D

IainMilford 25 November 2008 03:27 PM

view my scooby, cost me just around £2800 to get to 330+ bhp/torque

I know what you mean, but when I bought my car the STi's I saw were all a bit dogged and abused, mine was a very tidy low mileage example.

Depends what you want out of the car, mine had the PPP to begin with, great but the Turbo lag really did my head in, some simple mods like a decat uppipe and sports cat downpipe will make the turbo spool up quicker and make a real improvement. however once you start you wont want to stop !!

At the end of the day a nicely modded WRX is still a very quick road car ....

LWells 25 November 2008 05:21 PM

some interesting points made... I dont want silly BHP ie im not after a 450BHP Sti.. basically I drove a STI PPP and thought that it was very good.. thats the performance im after :-)

David (APi) you mention over 300BHP for under 2K... what sort of additional items would i get/need for that? I imagine 320BHP in a WRX will be quicker than same in the Sti as others have said.

been looking at all these modded cars and that combined with the fact it will cost a lot to change has me moving back towards sorting mine out! .. il prob change back in a few days lol

IainMilford 25 November 2008 07:02 PM

I was like you for a while, but with the market as it is I'm like sod it, I've got it so I may as well enjoy it :D

The main STi part I wish I had was the dccd .......

mje_wrx 25 November 2008 07:36 PM

im spending 2k on my wrx 98. iv been looking at loads of parts from everywhere, and currently bought wiseco pistons, eagle rods, rcm modified oil pump, walbro 255 pump, japspeed 3" full decat exhaust inc down pipe, fmic, apexi ecu and commander, acl race bearings, arp head bolts, japspeed race rad and apexi avcr.

iv bought it all for under 2k, very close tho :) apexi ecu and exhaust, fmic r 2nd hand, and im doing all labour, but its possible to get performance and budget as iv done.

running a vf22 turbo for now.

think it will run nicely over 300 when done,

NXG 25 November 2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 8300459)
I was like you for a while, but with the market as it is I'm like sod it, I've got it so I may as well enjoy it :D

The main STi part I wish I had was the dccd .......

Why? Don't worry about it Iain, it doesn't add anything that decent suspension can't beat :)

IainMilford 25 November 2008 09:04 PM

I know I just like the idea of changing the diff settings ..... or just wanting what I cant have !!

APIDavid 26 November 2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by LWells (Post 8300133)
some interesting points made... I dont want silly BHP ie im not after a 450BHP Sti.. basically I drove a STI PPP and thought that it was very good.. thats the performance im after :-)

David (APi) you mention over 300BHP for under 2K... what sort of additional items would i get/need for that? I imagine 320BHP in a WRX will be quicker than same in the Sti as others have said.

been looking at all these modded cars and that combined with the fact it will cost a lot to change has me moving back towards sorting mine out! .. il prob change back in a few days lol

If we did it we'd fit;

VF series turbo;- anything from VF29/30/34/35 range will get the result
STi pink injectors on a new age, yellow side feeds for any GC8.
High pressure fuel pump
Decat downpipe as a minimum - better system if necessary.
Foam panel filter
Tek 3 remap on anything after 1999. Probably Simtek before that age car.

Hey presto! 320 ish depending upon how much 'safe' boost and timing we can get into an engine. It depends upon engine condition really. Older ones tend to be a bit noisy once the timing goes in and we pull it all back to keep the noises down. In any case, it is not hard to better the PPP set up, as it is a one size fits all and this is a bespoke conversion to suit your car.

I won't price it on here, call me and l'll do it face to face. l can't stand the :eek2:'s

That tend to appear.

David APi

IainMilford 26 November 2008 12:02 PM

make sure you add in a decat uppipe, when Bob mapped my car he was impressed with how well the turbo held boost at high revs and said that was down to the decat uppipe. plus you wont have a cat that can fail and munch your turbo

dugy3901 26 November 2008 05:18 PM

If its any help, I have just traded my 54 plate WRX in for an 05 plate STi.
I only got £7500 for the WRX but then again, I only paid £12500 for the STi.
So it's all relative really. All the prices have dropped substantially so I wouldn't be put off by the low price you will get offered for yours.