ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Remaps & "locked" ECUs (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/715667-remaps-and-locked-ecus.html)

rickya 03 December 2008 07:45 PM

Any mappers want to set us all straight as I cant seem to conclude anything from this thread! :lol1:

1)Are Ecuteked mapped cars locked into Ecutek & std map gone for good

2)If Ecuteked from one mapper, another Ecutek mapper can remap but at extra cost. This cost is not an Ecutek licence cost but an additional cost on top of mapping cost, but for what?

3)Once a car is ecuteked that ECU cant be mapped using Open source or other?

4)How is Simtek different, is it less restrective in terms of licencing?

bluenose172 03 December 2008 08:28 PM

This is straight from Andy Forrest guys.

bluenose172 03 December 2008 08:30 PM

On a side note, anyone with a Spec C wanting to map via ECUtek, we can swap ECU's, and you won't have to pay for the ECUTek license.

rickya 03 December 2008 08:31 PM

Already Ecuteked from Litchfields when I bought it mate

Though IIRC Staffi's wasnt mapped & running JDM spec ECU. He's sold it now but might be able to put you in contact with new owner

bluenose172 03 December 2008 08:36 PM

His was a MY06, I've already tried a 06 Spec C ECU in my car, didn't work.

rickya 03 December 2008 08:41 PM

Have a chat with these guys
CA Automotive Technologies Ltd

Iv bought a couple of things of them for my BMW & they are massive in BMW modding. They were the first people to crack the new E92 3 series ECU & very good with ECU programming etc. IIRC they acheived this by freezing the ECU & keeping between certain -0 degress temp while programing it or sumit!!

STiFreak 03 December 2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8320994)

I would appreciate for Andy to explain why this is the case.
Not sure about the Spec C's, but with UK STi's 05 was a 16-bit and 06 STi was 32-bit (so quite different). Have a look on the RomRaider forums, if someone has posted a stock Spec C ecu image, I still can't imagine that an ECUTek mapper won't be able to flash this on for you - if they can remap it, they must be able to overwrite it.

bluenose172 03 December 2008 09:07 PM

I'll explain - Andy has said that all Spec C ecu's are Flash 2002 family of ECU's, and as such the lock cannot be removed, but of course the original map can be loaded back on. That's no use to me as I want to map my own car. Apparently non-Spec C cars from 2004 onwards can have the lock removed.

Again, the problem isn't the ROM file, I have that, it's the fact ECUTek have locked my ECU.

bluenose172 03 December 2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by STiFreak (Post 8321067)
I would appreciate for Andy to explain why this is the case.
Not sure about the Spec C's, but with UK STi's 05 was a 16-bit and 06 STi was 32-bit (so quite different).

Missed this bit, JDM's are still 16-bit.

Edit - I should make clear I changed the ECU, different issue completely to the ECU lock I'm talking about.

scooby-tc 03 December 2008 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8320972)
On a side note, anyone with a Spec C wanting to map via ECUtek, we can swap ECU's, and you won't have to pay for the ECUTek license.

I have a totally stock ECU which i was planning on getting ECUtek'd in the new year.Interested in swap if you are :norty:

dynamix 06 December 2008 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8320994)

There is a further option for you....

Tactrix offer a service to bring back to life a bricked ECU. Costs about £80 and involves sending the ecu over to the states for them to do it. I did it to mine when the MAC bricked my ecu in march and it was a very efficient and quick turnaround.

Effectively puts it completely back to std and they will even load a base map of your choice onto it for you.

bluenose172 06 December 2008 09:03 AM

Hi Duncan,

I thought they only did 32-bit ECU's now?

dynamix 06 December 2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8327128)
Hi Duncan,

I thought they only did 32-bit ECU's now?

Hmm - it does look that way from their site but they used to do 16 bit ones so I am sure they would be able to sort it if you contacted them direct. Freon or Merchgod on RR might know for sure.

ALi-B 07 December 2008 01:34 PM

Moved to appropriate forum

sponners 07 December 2008 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 8329311)
Moved to appropriate forum

which is where?

I thought that you can remove (not alter) the ecutek using ecu unlocker (free software) and then map the standard rom back on using ecuflash.

.....but you will lose the ecutek licence.

dynamix 07 December 2008 02:48 PM

Ecu unlocker is not available for subaru - it is an evo only software from what i have seen and I feel a little dangerous and unsupported.