ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   No joking this time. Qantas 7474 emergency descent.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/702355-no-joking-this-time-qantas-7474-emergency-descent.html)

lozgti 25 July 2008 01:02 PM

Puts it in perspective!

I always enjoy the opening scene in that film about the aircraft that comes down in the mountains and there is a bit of canabalism involved(if that helps identify it!).Can't think of it for the life of me but pretty scary first scene!

Sorry,OT

Tam the bam 25 July 2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 8028918)
Puts it in perspective!

I always enjoy the opening scene in that film about the aircraft that comes down in the mountains and there is a bit of canabalism involved(if that helps identify it!).Can't think of it for the life of me but pretty scary first scene!

Sorry,OT

Alive?

Shark Man 25 July 2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8028907)
There isn't much between you and the outside either....
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...3/IM0003-a.jpg

I like to compare them to the contruction of a caravan; thin aluminium bonded to a lattice style frame.

Now, does anyone know what happens to a caravan if you tow it at 200mph?

Well, they tend to rip themselves apart http://ccgi.rallytrader.plus.com/for...s/icon_eek.gif

(obligatory Top gear clip YouTube - Top Gear - Caravan World Speed Record :D )

KiwiGTI 25 July 2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8028890)
...are they bags I can see in the hole? I thought they all went inside baggage containers..... :confused:

No, there are some that are just held on pallets with webbing/nets.

Leslie 25 July 2008 03:57 PM

It is interesting that when the 707 appeared in competition with the VC10, it was a cheaper machine and also more economical because it was appreciably lighter and therefore did more to the gallon. This is one reaason why it was bought in preference to the VC10. The airlines got a nasty shock when they discovered later thet the 707 had a thinner aluminium skin and so needed to be re-skinned from time to time which was a very expensive procedure of course. The VC10 had more rivets to a unit distance, as well as the thicker skin, than any other civilian aircraft which is why they are still flying safely in a freight and refuelling mode after a great number of years.

That failure in the 747 is really very worrying, especially if it was caused by fatigue. It must have been a very rapid decompression but the descent flown by the crew afterwards is a standard procedure which is practised in the simulator and is not difficult as long as the aircraft controls are undamaged and the airflow is fairly normal over the fuselage. The pilots have their individual oxygen masks which are instantly available should this sort of thing happen.

If this failure in the skin was not caused by some extraneous force, ie an explosion, there will be some very real worries over the 747's. The force on the aircraft skin due to cabin pressurisation at cruising altutude is surprisingly high so they cannot take chances in that respect. One only has to think back to the early Comet disasters to understand that. It will be interesting to find out what went wrong.

Les

lozgti 25 July 2008 04:24 PM

Didn't Wellington Bombers just have fabric over the skin.Basically a metal skeleton with cloth not metal?

Now that must have been scary but I'm sure that was the least of the crews worries!

Midlife...... 25 July 2008 04:27 PM

yep..wellington bombers used the Barnes Wallace "geodesic" construction method AFAIK.

STi wanna Subaru 25 July 2008 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8029273)
It is interesting that when the 707 appeared in competition with the VC10, it was a cheaper machine and also more economical because it was appreciably lighter and therefore did more to the gallon. This is one reaason why it was bought in preference to the VC10. The airlines got a nasty shock when they discovered later thet the 707 had a thinner aluminium skin and so needed to be re-skinned from time to time which was a very expensive procedure of course. The VC10 had more rivets to a unit distance, as well as the thicker skin, than any other civilian aircraft which is why they are still flying safely in a freight and refuelling mode after a great number of years.

That failure in the 747 is really very worrying, especially if it was caused by fatigue. It must have been a very rapid decompression but the descent flown by the crew afterwards is a standard procedure which is practised in the simulator and is not difficult as long as the aircraft controls are undamaged and the airflow is fairly normal over the fuselage. The pilots have their individual oxygen masks which are instantly available should this sort of thing happen.

If this failure in the skin was not caused by some extraneous force, ie an explosion, there will be some very real worries over the 747's. The force on the aircraft skin due to cabin pressurisation at cruising altutude is surprisingly high so they cannot take chances in that respect. One only has to think back to the early Comet disasters to understand that. It will be interesting to find out what went wrong.

Les

Top informative post Les :thumb:

Leslie 25 July 2008 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 8029343)
Didn't Wellington Bombers just have fabric over the skin.Basically a metal skeleton with cloth not metal?

Now that must have been scary but I'm sure that was the least of the crews worries!

Yes thats true and as Midlife said it was built with what was called Geodesic construction. Basically it was all built up triangular segments covered with fabric. It was not pressurised at all of course. It was very resistant to damage from flak etc.

There is one in the Brooklands Air Museum which was recovered from underwater and was rebuilt in the original style by apprentices. The fabric is left off so you can see the construction.

Les :)

FlightMan 25 July 2008 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8029273)

Les

Good post Les. I never knew that about the 707.

Hear what you're saying about fatigue, but this isn't an old airframe. I'm guessing this is corrosion of some sort, or a maintenance failure of some sort, not fatigue.

Time will tell.

FlightMan 25 July 2008 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 8028815)
What exactly is it you do flightman, you appear to have a fantastic knowledge of airplanes.

I doubt a birdstrike could happen at 30000+ft and it would have to be a bloody big bird to cause 2.5-3m of damage. I'm no expert though.

chop :)

Just work at LHR chopper, not a pilot or anything like that, but I do work with pilots and ATC, so pick things up.

We had an a/c here, a few years back, that lost a nose cone. Hit buy a goose. You'd be amazed at the damage a big bird can do. Not a 30,000ft though! :)

Funkii Munkii 25 July 2008 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8028544)
Flightman, do you think the increase in aviation fuel costs has led any airlines to compromise on safety, or are aircraft checks still as rigorous as ever?

I was chatting to someone from American Airlines last week about the ridiculous increase in the fuel surcharges applied to Cargo customers, most airlines are now charging roughly £0.98/Kg, we think petrol has increased for our cars, a year ago it was about £0.30/Kg !!

Anyway the point being she said that in the last 6 months the global fuel bill for American Airlines had increased by $860m usd, thats a small worry for anyone flying on a US carrier considering most of them are usually no more than a knats bollock away from Chapter 11 at any given time.

Flightman

Whats the deal with QF that stops you flying on them ?

SirFozzalot 26 July 2008 10:32 AM

A bit more info.

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Engineers examine plane for clues

Including an interview with someone on board who took some video on board once they reached 10000ft.

J4CKO 26 July 2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8028430)
BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Hole forces Qantas plane to land :notworthy

Good job the crew. Tough old birds those 747's! :luxhello:

Apart from the bits that drop off that is :D

Leslie 26 July 2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8029512)
Good post Les. I never knew that about the 707.

Hear what you're saying about fatigue, but this isn't an old airframe. I'm guessing this is corrosion of some sort, or a maintenance failure of some sort, not fatigue.

Time will tell.

Yes I would tend to agree with you about corrosion. We had a Viscount from Austrian Airlines once for experimental work and when it was checked they found bad corrosion in the belly of the aircraft caused by spillages from the galley draining down.

It also looks as though the skin on the 747 parted at an area where there is a bit of a corner which tends to concentrate the forces acting on the fuselage too.

Les

j4ckos mate 26 July 2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 8029654)
I was chatting to someone from American Airlines last week about the ridiculous increase in the fuel surcharges applied to Cargo customers, most airlines are now charging roughly £0.98/Kg, we think petrol has increased for our cars, a year ago it was about £0.30/Kg !!

Anyway the point being she said that in the last 6 months the global fuel bill for American Airlines had increased by $860m usd, thats a small worry for anyone flying on a US carrier considering most of them are usually no more than a knats bollock away from Chapter 11 at any given time.

Flightman

Whats the deal with QF that stops you flying on them ?

tell me a bout it mate, £1.00 per kilo for fuel, plus £0.09 for war risk, then £10.00 to get the freight xrayed.if its to dense to xray it has to go in a decom cvhamber or air samples £60.00

Janspeed 26 July 2008 07:01 PM

Should be interesting to read the final report, if it is not covered up by Boeing.............

Sbradley 26 July 2008 07:26 PM

I tend to agree with Flightman and Les (well - I'd be daft not to really) but for the record my old met instructor was relegated to ground duties after getting a faceful of Albatross at 28,000 feet in a Canberra. At night.

Which rather buggered the "birds don't fly at night or at over 12,000 feet" theory. And his face. Quite how he recovered the aircraft safely with eyes facing in different directions and his nose spread all over the rear bulkhead is beyond me.

SB

PS He was still a **** though. Just a skilled and rather courageous one.

J4CKO 26 July 2008 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sbradley (Post 8031357)
I tend to agree with Flightman and Les (well - I'd be daft not to really) but for the record my old met instructor was relegated to ground duties after getting a faceful of Albatross at 28,000 feet in a Canberra. At night.

Which rather buggered the "birds don't fly at night or at over 12,000 feet" theory. And his face. Quite how he recovered the aircraft safely with eyes facing in different directions and his nose spread all over the rear bulkhead is beyond me.

SB

Bird on the face at 30,000 feet, every pilots dream, just needs to be the right sort of Bird....

KiwiGTI 26 July 2008 08:43 PM

Some more news here :

Oxygen masks failed: passengers | theage.com.au

The oxygen system problems are interesting.

Janspeed 26 July 2008 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sbradley (Post 8031357)

SB

Birds at night and above 12k feet, always an extra bit of spice in one's life!

Know a guy who was lucky enuff to start pulling up into a vertical climb (450 kts) when a humungus bird of prey went straight into to his left intake and out the top of it!
He would have had a very bad day if, 1: it was 0.5 meters to the right, and 2: if he was going straight and level!

As long as no one gets very hurt its always a good story.

FlightMan 26 July 2008 08:57 PM

Indeed. I know the odd oxygen mask failure is a not too uncommon occurrence, and is planned for. I think on the 744's there are 4 masks for every three passengers. However, this sounds like something more serious. It could be they had an oxygen cylinder go "pop". That would explain the hole, and the mask failures.

Janspeed 26 July 2008 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 8031489)
Some more news here :

Oxygen masks failed: passengers | theage.com.au

The oxygen system problems are interesting.

There are always more masks than pax in a civilian a/c.
In part to offset the above problems.

phil_wrx 26 July 2008 09:10 PM

anyways big shout to the pilots, i know they are trained for this but it still takes skill to do wat they have done

KiwiGTI 26 July 2008 09:45 PM

The CEO of Qantas has categorically stated that it wasn't a corrosion issue, pretty early, but I suppose he would know if that's what he was told by the people investigating, it's also quite a big statement to make.

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Plane hole 'not due to corrosion'

ricardo 26 July 2008 10:16 PM

It seems there are lots of bits of one of the oxygen bottles in the hold - that would certainly account for the damage.

Leslie 27 July 2008 01:14 PM

Yes I heard that there was a suspicion of exploding oxygen bottles. Thats another story altogether, but still very serious.

Interested to see that about the bird strikes. Since most of my flying was at low level I have had a few of those, always a bit of a worry too. The only bad ones were once when I hit a German type of eagle in the Harzt mountain area. I was in a Canberra B(I)8 which had the fighter type cockpit canopy and it smashed the outer glass layer in front of my face but luckily did not come through the second layer of glass. It was supposed to be bullet proof too! That woke me up a bit. The other was a seagull which went into an engine in a Vulcan and destroyed the engine. They were prone to that because the compressor blades all broke off. It still flew perfectly well on the other three engines though:)

That chap was really unlucky to hit that bird so high, I have seen big birds flying very high too, but luckily never hit one.

Les

Janspeed 27 July 2008 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8032346)
Yes I heard that there was a suspicion of exploding oxygen bottles. Thats another story altogether, but still very serious.

Interested to see that about the bird strikes. Since most of my flying was at low level I have had a few of those, always a bit of a worry too. The only bad ones were once when I hit a German type of eagle in the Harzt mountain area. I was in a Canberra B(I)8 which had the fighter type cockpit canopy and it smashed the outer glass layer in front of my face but luckily did not come through the second layer of glass. It was supposed to be bullet proof too! That woke me up a bit. The other was a seagull which went into an engine in a Vulcan and destroyed the engine. They were prone to that because the compressor blades all broke off. It still flew perfectly well on the other three engines though:)

That chap was really unlucky to hit that bird so high, I have seen big birds flying very high too, but luckily never hit one.

Les

Wow! That must have been a massive thud (and fright)!!

Bravo2zero_sps 28 July 2008 10:09 AM

Whooper swans have been recorded flying at 29,000 feet.

Funkii Munkii 28 July 2008 10:20 AM

Oxygen cylinder story confirmed.

You bright people :)