ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Legality of wiring up your back gate to a car battery!!!. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/651568-legality-of-wiring-up-your-back-gate-to-a-car-battery.html)

StickyMicky 04 December 2007 10:00 AM

errr, you entered his property by a side gate to look at his greenhouse?

New_scooby_04 04 December 2007 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by r32 (Post 7458209)
Report the guy, before it kills some one frail.....

Or, even worse, infringes on a Tom and Jerry/Home Alone copyright!! ;) :D

fast bloke 04 December 2007 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by _Meridian_ (Post 7457825)
Most electric cattle fences are powered by 12v car batteries. Can I watch while you grab hold of one?

M

They are powered by a 12v battery, but the voltage is stepped up substantially. I seem to remember from O level physics that you need at least 100v and two points of contact on a muscle to feel the shock. If you want a shock that will cause discomfort to an animal, you will probably need several thousand volts. Farmer next door uses fences at 9000 volts. I've tried to avoid p1ssing on it for obvious reasons :D

Leslie 04 December 2007 01:24 PM

Was the battery wired so the there was a short circuit through the latch when you operated it? Otherwise it must have been a electric fence device which I well know can give a very significant shock. The way to check if an electrice fence is working is by touching it with a blade of grass, you can feel the voltage but not too uncomfortably.

Les

Abdabz 04 December 2007 01:37 PM

Shockingly funny :D

Henrik 04 December 2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 7457613)
Andy, ask any mechanic unlucky enough to have shorted out a car battery and tell me 12 volts won't give you a shock. It's the current involved that makes a difference not the voltage.

The current is a function of the voltage and the resistance (U=I*R), and given that dry skin has a resistance.

This page has some interesting figures Ohm's Law (again!) : ELECTRICAL SAFETY

For a 12V car battery, using the 17kOhm resistance from the page above, you'd get about 0.7mA going through your body which is not enough to cause harm.

If it was wired up to that portable electric fence thing, which generates a higher voltage, things may be different, though :)

l1verp00l 04 December 2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SVXNUT (Post 7457064)
Just wondering??. Made a delivery to a house this morning. Customer not in so went down the side and could see greenhouse. Reached over gate and got hold of catch.
Proceeded to pick myself up of the floor.
Used hanky and opened gate. Battery wired to the catch. Left parcel and a very strong not to Householder.
No Signs on gate.

Is that legal??, my wrist ached for 4 hours.

It annoys me when parcels are just left. Did it not need a signature?

Simon 69 04 December 2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by fast bloke (Post 7458524)
Farmer next door uses fences at 9000 volts. I've tried to avoid p1ssing on it for obvious reasons :D

My brother is now equally keen to avoid doing this: again.....

fast bloke 04 December 2007 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Simon 69 (Post 7459460)
My brother is now equally keen to avoid doing this: again.....

Can't stop laughing at the thought of it.

j4ckos mate 04 December 2007 06:41 PM

i know what i would do, middle of the night

car horns are twelve volts so are house alarm klaxons,

id get one from a scrapyard or ebay or somerthing put a couple of crocodile clips on it, snip the wire and connect it, hey presto see if his neighbours think its a great idea. bet you after a couple of nights he would dismantle it after his neighbours have bollocked him

SVXNUT 04 December 2007 06:48 PM

Not a Sparky, but it was pissing down. Wires were attached to the frame catch and the handle. Reguarding leaving without sigs. I am on independant contract to the Farce, and we don't get paid if the parcel is not recieved. I will only leave if I consider the position safe as I pay for the parcel if it goes missing.
But at least 40% of people who order things are not in to recieve them.

In 3 years averaging 700+ parcels a week I have had 3 claimed for.

Besides my area is 40 miles from depot, most people would prefer a parcel in the GHse/ Shed than a 80 mile round trip.

I will never jump over electric gates (the posh kind) having once tripped a security system and the porkies turned up before I had even left the property. Amazing how they look after the rich.

j4ckos mate 04 December 2007 07:08 PM

get a horn or a cibie oscar on it, and aim it at the neighbours bedroom